Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Life-like Buildings / Home Scenics
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Fantastic camera work Topic Next Topic: hay field  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 31 2014 :  01:40:41 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
From the 1975 Life-Like catalog. I like the way these buildings are pictured with some detail and scenic materials to make them look nice. They're also done using a sheet base under them such as wood, plastic or something. I'm planning using 3/8 sheets of smooth wood along the slot car track and placing 3 or 4 buildings on each. This allows me to nicely detail a fair sized area then adding it to the layout table...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 31 2014 :  11:54:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
You have to admit Life Like really tried to make those buildings look great in those pictures. Heck, I can't find one in those photos that I don't like!
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - August 31 2014 :  6:46:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Great sales photo tactic - only one problem - the 7-11 is not realistic in the sense of parking lot - what you going to do -drive through bushes to park? - they should have thought that one a little better - the rest are good
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 31 2014 :  7:27:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Brian, I was thinking that it must have taken a whole 5 minutes to plan and set up that photo..
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 31 2014 :  10:55:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Here's my plan for the areas with buildings. I bought a sheet of smooth 3/8 plywood to cut to fit along the roadway. The wood is just thicker than the slot track that will serve as a curb where needed.

The board shown fits one section surrounded by slot car track... Plenty of room on board for scenics, parking areas and....

Paint, place buildings, add lights and woodland scenics detail. Then mount the board on the table top...

Edited by - walt on February 27 2015 8:24:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 07 2014 :  8:26:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Here's a couple of pics of the 3/8 plywood base that I thought of quite a while back... I chose to make a small one to experiment with. This one has not been screwed down yet but the one corner shows the curb that is just above the slot track... Driveway entrances can easily be filed or sanded out of the "curbed" areas.... I think this will be a nice way to do scenics , a section at a time...

Edited by - walt on September 07 2014 8:40:24 PM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 07 2014 :  9:27:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Some nice work there, I like the radiused curves, and the curb height is realistic, too. Very cool.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 07 2014 :  9:43:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Looking GREAT Walt. Wow what an incredible showpiece that's going to be
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 08 2014 :  11:13:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
AMX Jerry- Thank You! The curves are the small 6 inch radius..

JNXT Jerry- Thanks soo much...

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - September 08 2014 :  4:08:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I see potential for scene swapping, but you would need street lights on each scenery module.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 08 2014 :  7:08:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Have plenty of different sorts of lights, Glenn... But I'll just be glad to get it all into one place!

Update; I believe, that the buildings I will use on the first plywood base pictured will be as shown other than McDonalds. The 7-11, The Freezee Ice Cream, and the Woodlawn Police building. All 3 are made by Life-Like...

Edited by - walt on September 10 2014 12:38:29 AM

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 05 2014 :  01:06:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
I have to admit it, Life Like really tried hard to blend a realistic flair into its play value, and to present their customers with a way to legitimize their playtime. They did present a complete line, when that was vital to any trainbuilder. You could build a 100% LL layout and not be missing out on much. Their little trainset pack-in hintbook also had some good ideas (many of them, naturally, ideas that encouraged the purchase of more Life-Like Products, but good ideas nonetheless.) Sol Kramer had an interesting company...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 07 2014 :  03:33:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Never thought about it until now but the three buildings that I use on the first section are all Life-Life kits.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 07 2014 :  11:57:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
Plus you do have a RARE L-L building with McDonald's on it!

I should get a pic of the ONE street here where 85% of the fast food places are
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 07 2014 :  4:13:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I notice this thread is often read by non members so I will post some photos of my Life-Like & Tyco building sections as this thread was originated from. Still detail to add in both photos...

Edited by - walt on February 27 2015 9:17:07 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 27 2015 :  9:18:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 13 2021 :  10:58:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Be nice if some company reintroduce those buildings soon.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Fantastic camera work Topic Next Topic: hay field  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000