Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 3 ]  [ Total: 3 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Upgrade a Proto 1000 F3A?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Budget upgrade: Life-Like ex-Varney USRA hoppers Topic Next Topic: EC60 with LL String  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 17 2014 :  11:38:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Since I am getting a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC system for my train layout, I thought I would upgrade one of my existing locomotives once I get the system. But here's what the light board looks like on my Santa Fe Proto 1000 F3A...

I'm actually not sure if this is DCC-ready. If it isn't, I will hold off on upgrading it until I learn to solder and have maybe upgraded another DCC-ready locomotive of some sort.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 18 2014 :  11:41:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
If it were DCC ready it would have a removable dummy plug on the board so you could just plug in the decoder. This would require soldering.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 19 2014 :  10:52:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
That's what I thought. Maybe because this had come with a train set or something.
I'm thinking of trying this decoder, in this case...
http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Life_Like/Proto_1000_F3A_alternate/Proto_1000_F3A_alternate.html
But I need to know if it would work with the E-Z Command system then.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Retired Alex
Big Six

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - April 20 2014 :  08:44:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Retired Alex to Buddylist
The EZ Command system will work with any NMRA compliant components, which the TSC is; however, you will have only limited functions with the EZ Command. You can't read or write CVs.
Edited by - Retired Alex on April 20 2014 08:46:11 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 265  ~  Member Since: March 07 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 15 2014 :  11:19:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
If it were DCC ready it would have a removable dummy plug on the board so you could just plug in the decoder. This would require soldering.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - April 18 2014 :  11:41:11 PM

A great candidate for dcc. You will have to hard wire it but it should be rather easy.

I have 3 ab sets of these engines. Love them.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 15 2014 :  11:22:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I think the EZ command system is a good starter system but it is limited. It's designed yo be a starter system not a long term system. The NCE powercab is what I have and I love it. So easy to use as well.
If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Budget upgrade: Life-Like ex-Varney USRA hoppers Topic Next Topic: EC60 with LL String  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000