Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Shiny or dull?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Who builds craftsmen kits? Topic Next Topic: What made you join this forum originally?  

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 14 2014 :  9:52:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
OK crazy question but am curious on your opinions. I usually spray dullcote on most everything with few exceptions, as real-world locomotives and rolling stock are hardly ever in new condition - or if they are, not for long.
However as I have been collecting more Tyco pieces, many come with a high-gloss finish. A workaday box car will get the dull treatment, but looking at my shiny new Mail Pouch and Sanka cars, I am hesitant to dull them down.
What say you - does it matter? Like to keep them as shiny as the day they left the factory or like they've had a few million miles on them?

Would be interested in comments as well - if you pick shiny is it for collectible keep-it-original look?

Choices:

Leave it shiny!
Hit it with dullcote

(Anonymous Vote)

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 14 2014 :  9:59:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I like it shiny because to me it doesn't really matter if it's shiny or not. If it is then I'll keep it that way or if it's weathered then I'll also keep it that way.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 14 2014 :  10:12:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I put leave it shiny because these cars are more like collectibles or toys than models, in the strictest sense.

If you are after realism, cars should all be dulled down, because even shiny things flatten out with distance. An HO train, from 3 feet away, is about 260 scale feet away and should have a hazy, distant look.

If you intend these cars to look convincing in a model railroad operation, dull them. If their purpose is nostalgia for a childhood toy or just a colorful sense of fun, they should be kept as is.

That's my opinion, anyway, and such advice costs nothing and is worth the price.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 14 2014 :  10:32:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
I almost always spray dullcote on my cars and locomotives. I always leave my rare and collectible trains in original condition, but I don't run them often so it doesn't matter very much.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 14 2014 :  10:59:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Jerry, I have noticed your dull coat and I think it is great looking! Looks much more realistic than the shiny cars. As you stated even a new rail car doesn't stay glossy very long. I love the look of the pics of your displays...

But, like many of the others, I can't force myself to modify my Tyco pieces at all... My layouts downfall will be the lack of being able to modify my trains and buildings to realism. My town will be, "much too clean" to be really cool.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 14 2014 :  11:52:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I go with both. Freshly cleaned engine for a crack express with a bit of weathering on top just to dirty it up a bit but still fairly clean when compared to a drag freight engine.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 15 2014 :  6:48:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I go with both. Freshly cleaned engine for a crack express with a bit of weathering on top just to dirty it up a bit but still fairly clean when compared to a drag freight engine.

Originally posted by LGLrr845 - April 14 2014 :  11:52:06 PM

That's been my practice too - I like the passenger equipment to be in great shape but the freight stuff to look like....freight stuff.

Thanks for the perspective everyone

walt don't worry your town is going to be super cool

sschaggy what I like the most about the Tyco stuff is the sense of fun they all possess, shiny or dull

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 20 2014 :  12:04:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Personally, unless you're going for ultra-realism, and use for that purpose, I would leave any mint vintage piece alone. It's still YOUR piece, if you want to change it, it's up to you. :) So what if you lose a few $'s in value if you have to resell it at some later date? It's yours to do with as you want. I personally will keep my shiny Tyco cars like they are, unless I get one that's beat up, then it's fair game.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Who builds craftsmen kits? Topic Next Topic: What made you join this forum originally?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000