Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 Why Use WD-40 On Slot Car Track ?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: T-Jet Reproduction Track & More Topic Next Topic: 2 more slot cars  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 03 2014 :  11:34:27 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have heard a couple of people mention using WD-40 on slot car track and was wondering what this step is used for?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - April 03 2014 :  10:52:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
drifting maybe?
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 03 2014 :  11:11:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
So they can't stop for the train?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YaLe8yTDSM

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on April 03 2014 11:12:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - April 03 2014 :  11:19:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
A number of things Walt. First off it is applied very lightly. Usually applied to a paper towel or cloth, and then applied to the track. The lube will get into the crevices along the power rails and help prevent rust and oxidation along the rails. Or so that is the analogy of that. I used it years ago on the older track types for just that purpose. The other thing that was found, is that it also helps clean the plastic and give it a more uniform look. Different track pieces age differently, the lube seems to get into the pores of the plastic and will give the track a consistent even black tone. It is a nice look, but I am not sure how it would affect the tires used today. Years ago the tires would wear quickly and get replaced often enough that it really didn't matter if the lube was affecting them or not. These days I am not a big fan of it, I think it works as it always did, but now I have a bigger issue with dealing with airborne dust and dirt that it would attract. If you are looking for something to help with rust and / or oxidation, I use NoOxId. I have had it on my race track for a couple of years now and the rails look great, and the cars take right off even after the track hasn't been used. I don't have to clean the rails anymore, I just have to wipe or vacuum the dust and dirt that may have accumulated on the track surface. Hope this helped.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 04 2014 :  12:19:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Great answers guys!

Thank You, Blaneo, your answers was pretty much what I expected. I like the info on the NoOxid...

As a 30 plus year car builder/ painter, I have used WD-40 for years. Removing a 55 Chevy covert body from the frame was made easy by spraying bolts several & times & tapping during the week prior.

I never thought WD-40 was much of a lubricant and I always tell people it only lasts
6 days. That's Another reason I wouldn't depend on it to keep my rails clean...

I haven't had slot car track in use in many years and I like the sound of the NoOxid. Glad there's something now to eliminate the cars stopping along the track...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 04 2014 :  3:54:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The way I've been periodically cleaning my slotcar track is by applying WD-40 to an old dish towel and wiping down the surface of the track. After the WD-40 I'll wet another towel with Windex and run that over the surface of the track.

The WD-40 cuts through any oxidation and built up oil/grease left by the cars. The Windex removes the WD-40 and any remaining oils, giving the tires a clean surface to bite in to.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 05 2014 :  12:07:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
So you use penetrating oil to clean up oil left from the cars ! just messin with ya Eric!

I have an auto painter item called Wax & Grease Remover. Like to try it on a piece of track... Def gonna buy some NoOxId....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 05 2014 :  01:15:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Whatever keeps the rails shiny! I learned the method from a slotcar forum, so it can't be all bad. Even just the Windex would probably do the trick. It's probably similar to using alcohol on train tracks (wets the rails to lift oils and then dries quickly).
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - April 05 2014 :  08:44:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Mothers has a product named Blacken-it that gives a nice black tone to the track also. I have not had a chance to pick it up and try it yet, but what I have seen in pictures looks really good.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 05 2014 :  6:28:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I use tire products on every thing! At one time I kind of worried about the appearance of my slot car track. I quickly realized that real roadway doesn't look good for long, so I lightened up a little. But I don't want damaged pieces or something someone has sanded etc
Edited by - walt on April 12 2014 2:01:20 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 09 2014 :  1:42:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Just bought a jar of NO OXID, on eBay that Blaneo told me about. Excited to receive and use on my track. Imagine a slot car track that works well... [LOLl

Edited by - walt on April 09 2014 1:47:07 PM

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - April 12 2014 :  08:16:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Walt,
You will find yourself using that NoOxId all the time. Really good stuff.

Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 14 2014 :  11:12:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
UPDATE: must give Blane a thumbs up on the NOOXID! It works well. Nice to have slot cars that respond to the controller !

Received the NoOxId and my track rail cleaner eraser today! I'm ready to get some slot car track cleaned and ready to run now....

Edited by - walt on May 23 2014 12:20:11 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 23 2014 :  01:12:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's been over 30 years since I had slot car track set up, but I just used a large eraser and 600 grit where needed, and the cars performed fine.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 23 2014 :  11:24:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
It's been over 30 years since I had slot car track set up, but I just used a large eraser and 600 grit where needed, and the cars performed fine.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - May 23 2014 :  01:12:58 AM

My 70s layout was in our back garage that was damp. Seemed like I was alway cleaning the track rails... With this much larger layout it would be a nightmare... I'm like a kid at Christmas again, buzzing the cars around this track! Dug out my Tycopro transformers today. I spotted at least 8 plus the one I'm using...

Jeepman
Little Six

GreatNorthernAvatar

Posted - November 25 2015 :  11:25:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jeepman to Buddylist
With my first love being Tyco slot cars I can tell you why WD40.

First the rails are steel and will get a corrosion that to you or I will not be seen. The rail connections rely on the sides of the track to complete a circuit. Before doing this on my 4 lane circuit I had a reading of 7-31 ohms per a rail. After I cleaned with the WD40 I had a reading of less than 1 ohm. The WD40 stops the corrosion. It will also break down any excessive oils that you used on your chassis. It should be sprayed on a rag and wiped along the track.

I was told to do this for maintenance by Lucky Bob. Check out his store. It is called Lucky Bob's raceway in Milwaukee, WI. I make it a point to stop whenever I am down there.

NoOxID is awesome stuff. It does work well I use that on my better track layouts. Problem for me though is cost compared to WD40. I usually host a race twice a month on a 4 lane track in my man cave and the WD40 has worked flawlessly there.

Edited by - Jeepman on November 25 2015 11:31:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 133  ~  Member Since: January 30 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 26 2015 :  07:45:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I have heard a couple of people mention using WD-40 on slot car track and was wondering what this is used for?

HUMMMMMMMMM !

Because it is approved for Automotive use ?

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 26 2015 07:47:11 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: T-Jet Reproduction Track & More Topic Next Topic: 2 more slot cars  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000