Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Preproduction Rio Grande SD24 Found????
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO pre-production EP-5 Great Northern Topic Next Topic: TYCO Western Pacific RR ALCO C430 Prototype  

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 22 2014 :  9:15:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
I can't believe that I have this story to tell. Some years ago I bought a few lot from Bob Beers of prototype and preproduction items mixed in with regular production items. The regular stuff and things I already had were packed up and stored under my layout. Here it is a few years later and I'm doing some spring cleaning. I dig out a Rio Grande SD24 that I didn't even remember owning. On the box is hand written the number 239-27, which is the Comin' Round The Mountian SD24. I pull this one out to see if it even runs, and there's a sticker on the bottom of the fuel tank that reads 239-74. As I hold this to the light I can see the outline of decals! 5210 is the road number, and that has decal film around the numbers. The yellow around the frame is paint, but it has spots of over spray like it was done by hand. The end decals go above the number boards, which is not what it looks like in the catalog, so Tyco may have made more than one of these by hand units. The decals on the ends are a brighter yellow than the unit on Tony Cooks site. I can't believe that I've had this for a few years now and never even realized it! I've got a preproduction Midnight Special RF-16 Shark that at first I didn't know I had either. Now I'm going to have to dig around and see what else I have that I didn't realize.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator 

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 22 2014 :  9:25:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Pictures aren't turning out well with my camera tonight. Here's an attempt with my iPad.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 22 2014 :  9:29:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Okay, I guess they worked. Here are a few more.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 22 2014 :  9:32:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
One more try. In this pic, notice how there a "bleed" of the black and yellow frame stripe that has been touched up. Also, the yellow of the end stripes is brighter than the frame yellow.

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 22 2014 :  9:35:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Here the frame stripe isn't a perfectly straight line across. It has some wobble to it. Also I think the decal can be seen better here, where the decal film covers up the hood door hinges and latches.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - July 30 2020 :  3:19:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
That's pretty neat I love Rio grande stuff!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 30 2020 :  7:43:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
That's pretty neat I love Rio grande stuff!

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - July 30 2020 :  3:19:13 PM

'Tis indeed
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 30 2020 :  9:35:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Super cool. And the real Tyco Rio Grande SD24's are almost as difficult to find.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 31 2020 :  11:27:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Super cool. And the real Tyco Rio Grande SD24's are almost as difficult to find.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 30 2020 :  9:35:45 PM

yeah I know! I want one too!
I has lots of RG trains too!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO pre-production EP-5 Great Northern Topic Next Topic: TYCO Western Pacific RR ALCO C430 Prototype  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000