Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Super 630 Pre-Production?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rogers 4-6-0 Prototype . . . Topic Next Topic: Misprint or Bad Day at Plant?  

smac61
Switcher

IC1Avatar

Posted - March 18 2014 :  4:17:49 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add smac61 to Buddylist
Looking for some expert advice. I've been collecting the Super 630 Locos for a while. I have several Phase I's both SF and ICG with the older Rivarossi drives and the black sideframes. As you know the wheels are not spaced equally. I have plenty of Phase II and Phase III with the PowerTouque (original and revised) and even some Phase IV's. All Phase II-IV have the silver "vampire" sideframes.

I just purchased a Super 630 ICG, small lettering down the hood, with black sideframes (vampire). At first I thought they were painted but they match the color and finish of the Phase I's. At first glance it looks like a Phase I due to the black sideframes but very quickly you see they are the newer vampires and the wheels are equally spaced for the PowerTorque. Fuel tanks and weight are Phase II. Coupler mounts are Phase II.

This was from a Hobby Store and the box has no formal printed information, just hand written 243A.

So my questions...Anyone else have or seen one like this? Is this a pre-production model sent to Hobby Stores for promotional/display purposes? It sure seems to be the "missing link" between Phase I and Phase II.

If anyone has any ideas I would love the help. Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: April 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2014 Alert Moderator 

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 21 2014 :  11:26:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
May just be a transitional piece from Phase II to Phase III. Common back then to make up a bunch and have inventory on hand to use up when changes were made.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smac61
Switcher

IC1Avatar

Posted - March 27 2014 :  3:04:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smac61 to Buddylist
quote:
May just be a transitional piece from Phase II to Phase III. Common back then to make up a bunch and have inventory on hand to use up when changes were made.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - March 21 2014 :  11:26:17 AM

That thought did cross my mind but what threw me were the black sideframes. It didn't make sense to put out Phase II with silver, switch to black for transition, then back to silver for Phase III.

I can see how this may be a transition from Phase I to Phase II with that theory.

Thanks for the thoughts!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: April 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 13 2014 :  6:38:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I've been out of this for about a year and have forgotten a thing or two about my Tycos.
The 4301 Alcos by Tyvo/ Mantua also went through similar changes from the MU2 motors to the Power-torque and then to the can motored version made for Tyco by AHM which is a PHIV I, and was only fournd w/ Virginian and SF paint. Each of the first three has different sideframes although you really had to pay attention they are distinct. The PHII, w/ maybe a stronger running PT motor had the same tank and weight as the PHI, w/MU2 motor, and the PHIII then had a different tank w/ the PT motor.
I have a link or post around here maybe in motive power on this subject? Maybe the two are connected.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 14 2014 :  09:48:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Posting a picture(s) would be helpful in furthering the discussion. :)
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Rogers 4-6-0 Prototype . . . Topic Next Topic: Misprint or Bad Day at Plant?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000