Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Conventional vs. Roadbed track
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Restoring Athearn Train Sets Topic Next Topic: Ahm VS Tyco MDT  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:01:13 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
I am surprised a poll like this hasn't turned up yet. (If one has, please correct me.)
For those unfamiliar, I will describe what I mean:

Conventional track includes the kind of snap-track that has been around for decades. Atlas is the most famous maker of it, though you'll also see it from Peco, MTH (their "ScaleTrax" line), and many other train manufacturers in the past also made this sort of track, including AHM, Bachmann, Life-Like, Model Power, Tyco, etc. (Life-Like and Model Power still offer this kind of track, mostly in steel, but Life-Like recently came out with a nickel-silver Code-100 track line!) This is common in HO and N scales, and it would also count for classic three-rail O-gauge track and Atlas's O-scale track system.

Integrated roadbed track is just that: track sections that are on a molded plastic roadbed. The most popular examples are Bachmann's E-Z Track and Kato Unitrack, but there are also other examples like Atlas's True-Track, Life-Like's Power-Loc track, Model-Power's ill-fated Lock-It track and MTH's RealTrax systems. In most cases, the roadbed also locks or connects together in some way.

Both track types have their own advantages and disadvantages. With snap-track, you get greater flexibility when making a permanent layout. There are numerous lengths and radius curves available, and it can be easily cut to custom sizes, and there is also flex-track available. There are also a number of older "action" accessories available from Bachmann, Life-Like and Tyco that will only work with conventional track (like Bachmann's "action caboose," Life-Like's "logging mill" and Tyco's various unloading cars.) But in order to use it efficiently, you have to nail or glue it onto the layout board or table before joining the tracks together, as they are not that secure if they are just connected to each other without nails, screws or glue. (Though Tyco, IHC and Life-Like all offer/offered track-connecting clips with their train sets that go between two track sections to keep them together.) And it can't be run on the floor this way, either (too much dust and lint.)

Roadbed track is pretty secure when connected, and in addition to being easily able to set up on the floor (bare wood/tiles or shore-pile carpeting), it's also good for tabletop layouts. Sometimes you don't need to do any nailing if you do the latter! Life-Like's Power-Loc track also eliminates the need of rail joiners, which can sometimes be handy for a quick setup. But there is no flex-track available for roadbed track, and you can't cut sections of it very easily, not to mention some track lines are rather limited in terms of turnouts, radius curves and lengths available. (Life-Like's Power-Loc is only available with 9 and 3" straights, 18 and 22-radius full curves, standard left/right turnouts, bumpers and a 90-degree cross track, but they do have their excellent Power-Loc adapter track allowing you to connect to other roadbed tracks or even properly-elevated conventional track!) The most comprehensive line of roadbed track available for HO scale is easily the nickel silver version of Bachmann's E-Z Track. An elaborate tabletop layout could be constructed using this sort of track! For N scale, it's Kato's Unitrack. Additionally, Atlas True-Track and MTH RealTrax have the track able to be removed from the roadbed, for if you decide to move up to typical snap-track.

For a permanent-style layout, I prefer conventional track for the mentioned reasons, plus it also works more easily with my various accessories. However, when I need to break in a new locomotive, I can easily snap together a small oval of my Power-Loc track, hook up a spare power pack to it and run the loco on it easily!

Choices:

Conventional snap-track
Integrated roadbed track
Both!

(Anonymous Vote)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 09 2014 :  08:05:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I picked conventional. I prefer flex track wherever I can use it.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:11:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I picked conventional. The kind of railroading I want to model has lots of roadbed that's not very manicured. I also like the versatility of flex track and the ability to cut and modify. Regular ballast looks more convincing to my eye than its plastic facsimile, too.

That being said, the choice of one or the other is based on each modeler's priorities and I still enjoy looking at the efforts of others who use roadbed track.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:34:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I choosed the EZ track of Bachmann & Life-Like
Cause its fun to run tracks on carpet areas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:39:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I'm fine with both although I mostly use Bachmann E-Z Track and Kato track.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 09 2014 :  9:29:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Nothing wrong with built-in roadbed track, but I prefer conventional track for my purposes. It looks more realistic than the plastic ballast and is a little more versatile. I'd rather have a small, scenic layout with a single train running, than several loops of trains on the floor. Just my personal preference.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:49:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I prefer conventional... To me, the roadbed track roadbed doesn't look good and would be very hard to make look realistic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zannian
Switcher

Posted - March 16 2014 :  01:37:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add zannian to Buddylist
Is there any way to connect roadbed track to Tyco accessories like the Tyco signal crossing?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: March 15 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 16 2014 :  4:49:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
When I was little I tried all sorts of ways to do that and never came up with anything that worked. I pretty much gave up and boxed all those old accessories since I never really liked them much anyways. I've always used bachmann EZ-track before. Now though, I've basically given up on roadbed track too.

Now I think the kind of track I prefer is the kind that doesn't exist, seeing as that's all I use on my layout... that still isn't started

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - March 19 2014 :  12:23:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Since I don't have a permanent layout, I like the integrated stuff. Kato is bullet proof and looks pretty good. I think they also have the best rail joiners.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Restoring Athearn Train Sets Topic Next Topic: Ahm VS Tyco MDT  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000