Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What was your first model train?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Why buy brass? Topic Next Topic: Concerning Name for my New N-Scale Layout!  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 24 2014 :  10:35:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
What was your first model train? Mine was a Warbonnet Express train set from Athearn which I got in 2004.

Choices:

Tyco
Athearn
Lionel
Marx
Life-Like
Model Power
Bachmann
AHM
Hornby
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - February 25 2014 :  12:37:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Lionel "Kickapoo Valley and Northern!"
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 25 2014 :  09:40:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My first was an O-27 Lionel train set, but the HO Tyco set a few years later was the one that evolved from childhood toy into a true hobby. Tycos were great for that transition, being cheap enough for testing the proverbial water and realistic enough to serve as models. At no point in this incremental process is one forced to dive in head first with a second-mortgage sized investment.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 25 2014 :  11:04:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The reason why I put Hornby in was because I couldn't really think of anything else that people would usually start with.I probably should've put Marklin or something like that.Oh well. There is an "other" section.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 25 2014 :  8:38:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
President's Choice "Pacific Express" by Mehano for me. I did have a couple of LifeLike cars before that, but I couldn't do a whole lot with them before I got the train set.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 25 2014 :  8:46:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Lionel 027 The Rock Island Line set with a 2-4-0 w/ tender & bobber caboose
It had a PC gondola
yellow UP flatcar (reaquired)
blue Conrail boxcar
paper cardboard bridge, tunnel & depot
Banjo signal & gate
I still got the board it was on but no tracks
Board is being used as a shelf in garage
I used board for my HO Golden Spike set by Bachmann later Still have most of that set too!
I would like to get that brochure that came in it called "How to build a railroad empire"

Edited by - microbusss on February 25 2014 8:49:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SPSF_SD45
Switcher

lol

Posted - February 25 2014 :  8:53:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SPSF_SD45 to Buddylist
Life Like Santa Fe Thundering rails. A real P.O.S. but it did the trick for me.
J.B.
Modeling the modern-day SPSF in HO scale

https://www.facebook.com/SPandSF?ref=hl
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 65  ~  Member Since: October 04 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 22 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 25 2014 :  9:15:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Life Like Santa Fe Thundering rails. A real P.O.S. but it did the trick for me.

Originally posted by SPSF_SD45 - February 25 2014 :  8:53:31 PM

Life Like is pretty much garbage on wheels. They are the definition of cheap.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 25 2014 :  11:26:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Life-Like garabage? naaah

This is how I thought what was the worst
Starting with THE worse
Tyco
Life-Like
Model Power
Cox
Bachmann
AHM
IHC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 25 2014 :  11:39:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Life-Like garabage? naaah

This is how I thought what was the worst
Starting with THE worse
Tyco
Life-Like
Model Power
Cox
Bachmann
AHM
IHC

Originally posted by microbusss - February 25 2014 :  11:26:52 PM

IHC and AHM are bad? I have a couple of their trains and their ok. Definitely better than Life-Like. I actually think Life Like is much worse than the brown box era Tycos.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 25 2014 11:40:10 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 25 2014 :  11:44:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I always thought even as a kid, that Life-Like was not the greatest trains. I love their Buildems kits though... I had only 3 or 4 LL cars as a kid, I've bought replacements for those few pieces.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 26 2014 :  07:10:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
my first loco was a hornby 0-4-0 clockwork,followed by a hornby dublo duchess,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 26 2014 :  09:50:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
my first loco was a hornby 0-4-0 clockwork,followed by a hornby dublo duchess,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - February 26 2014 :  07:10:24 AM

Hornby Dublo Duchess of Atholl? I've seen one of those with the box, track, and everything else the set originally came with for $135 at a train show I think. I don't remember the exact price for the set but I do remember the locomotive. Here's a picture of the set that I found on the internet.

Do you still have it?

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 26 2014 10:09:10 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 26 2014 :  10:10:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Worse was Tyco cause of that dumb "Power Torque" motor
I still have some Life-Likes & they run just fine

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 26 2014 :  10:41:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Worse was Tyco cause of that dumb "Power Torque" motor
I still have some Life-Likes & they run just fine

Originally posted by microbusss - February 26 2014 :  10:10:31 AM

Ya, the Power Loc motors are and always has been bad motors. I prefer the Tycos from the 50's and 60's.

-Steve

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 26 2014 :  11:13:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi kovacste000,yes i do still have it,along with about 20 other sets,or should say kids have them,as they are all boxed and packed away,and have been for years,my gift to them so to speak,ken
ps the collection took 30 odd years of buying and selling to keep the best and sell the rest

Edited by - catfordken on February 26 2014 4:13:40 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 26 2014 :  3:02:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
For me it started in 1969 with AHM: a Rivarossi ball bearing Dockside & U25C, and a 5 pole Pennsy C-Liner that ran like a dream.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 26 2014 :  3:44:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Well waaay back when my first set was a Lionel 027, with a beautiful red on black Rock Island Alco FA, followed by a USAF Minuteman boxcar rocket launcher, a satellite launcher flat car and a Lionel Lines caboose.

When I got older, I got an AHM freight set (1968?) with a Penn Central C-liner, Norfolk Southern gondola, Union Carbide Linde box car, and a C&O caboose. I never questioned that I was running a train with a PC loco and a C&O caboose

both were Christmas sets

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 26 2014 :  4:34:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I had a Life Like set and didn't survive! The track and loco's sucked and they're really high priced ! Wiley209 is our official LL nut here! My real first set that's done me well is the Bachmann Thunder Rail set. a UP F9, 2 cars and a caboose. Honestly, Tyco is better than LL train set junk! Still have my first Bachmann and HO set and still works great to this day!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
Edited by - Redneck Justin on February 26 2014 4:34:58 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 26 2014 :  4:43:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I had a Life Like set and didn't survive! The track and loco's sucked and they're really high priced ! Wiley209 is our official LL nut here! My real first set that's done me well is the Bachmann Thunder Rail set. a UP F9, 2 cars and a caboose. Honestly, Tyco is better than LL train set junk! Still have my first Bachmann and HO set and still works great to this day!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - February 26 2014 :  4:34:15 PM

That's what I'm saying! I've actually compared Life Like to Tyco and I'd actually prefer the Tyco engines or rolling stock to those Life Likes.

-Steve

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 26 2014 :  5:44:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
'LL is also AKA un.life like!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 26 2014 :  7:04:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
isn't it funny how Life Like turned into P2K?
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 27 2014 :  07:41:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
isn't it funny how Life Like turned into P2K?

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - February 26 2014 :  7:04:14 PM

Well, Life-Like was basically the resurrection of Varney, which WAS a decent maker of trains, I think they cheapened them up afterwards. I do like some of the LL billboard cars, but most are rather flimsy toys compared to the other brands. Most of my childhood HO engines were either AHM, or Lima. I don't think I ever had a Tyco then. I'll eventually dig out my childhood HO from storage, and document what I had. But I ran those AHMs to death, one was a GE Centercab, I finally smoked that motor, I ran it so hard. I think that was Tempo/RSO as well. For as much use as I gave them, they did well.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 27 2014 :  11:02:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
My first train set was a gift, a Life Like Santa Fe warbonnet train set.
i know several members have been criticizing, and rightfully so, the cheapness of some of the entry-level Life Like trains, but if the set was not so cheap I probably would never have been given it and maybe never have gotten interested in model railroading (the horror!)
Plus it ran decently enough that I wasn't completely frustrated and sick of the hobby, and after having that for a few years and expanding the set I got some nicer Bachmann and Athearn locomotives.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 07 2014 :  10:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
I had a Life Like set and didn't survive! The track and loco's sucked and they're really high priced ! Wiley209 is our official LL nut here!

That's because I've started out with Life-Like! Luckily by the time I got old enough to play with electric trains, Life-Like came out with their Power-Loc roadbed track. Plus, the Toys R' Us in our city's mall complex had TONS of Life-Like model railroading products (it used to often be our go-to source for model trains in the days before online shopping.) So naturally, my first electric trains as a kid was this:

When it came time to start a "real" model railroad layout, I got this feature-packed set:

(It's still available, but was renamed "Diesel Driver" and has a Union Pacific locomotive and caboose.)
Yes, the Life-Like locomotives and cars are rather low-end (the locos still use that "Power Drive" motor from the 1980s, and HORN-HOOK COUPLERS), but it was great fun for starting out. And now I've got even better locomotives to use as I expanded, like Mantua or Walthers TrainLine, or even Life-Like's excellent Proto 1000 line (I have one of their Santa Fe F3A locomotives; it's a REALLY nice runner and way better than the low-end stuff.)
Too bad Walthers/Life-Like doesn't have any Proto 1000 train sets anymore, just individual locomotives and cars. You'd get good hobby-quality stuff and their nickel-silver Power-Loc track too! (They also had a super-deluxe Proto 1000 set called the "Triple Train Empire," featuring three trains and their own Power-Loc track loops, building kits and landscaping material.)

And as I said, I have moved up: I may have once used Power-Loc track and low-end Life-Like locomotives, but now I've got higher-quality Atlas snap-track and better-running locomotives, though I still like many of Life-Like's rolling stock, building kits and accessories; my upcoming layout will still have plenty of that, though I will probably weather the buildings...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 07 2014 :  11:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I had a Life Like set and didn't survive! The track and loco's sucked and they're really high priced ! Wiley209 is our official LL nut here!

That's because I've started out with Life-Like! Luckily by the time I got old enough to play with electric trains, Life-Like came out with their Power-Loc roadbed track. Plus, the Toys R' Us in our city's mall complex had TONS of Life-Like model railroading products (it used to often be our go-to source for model trains in the days before online shopping.) So naturally, my first electric trains as a kid was this:

When it came time to start a "real" model railroad layout, I got this feature-packed set:

(It's still available, but was renamed "Diesel Driver" and has a Union Pacific locomotive and caboose.)
Yes, the Life-Like locomotives and cars are rather low-end (the locos still use that "Power Drive" motor from the 1980s, and HORN-HOOK COUPLERS), but it was great fun for starting out. And now I've got even better locomotives to use as I expanded, like Mantua or Walthers TrainLine, or even Life-Like's excellent Proto 1000 line (I have one of their Santa Fe F3A locomotives; it's a REALLY nice runner and way better than the low-end stuff.)
Too bad Walthers/Life-Like doesn't have any Proto 1000 train sets anymore, just individual locomotives and cars. You'd get good hobby-quality stuff and their nickel-silver Power-Loc track too! (They also had a super-deluxe Proto 1000 set called the "Triple Train Empire," featuring three trains and their own Power-Loc track loops, building kits and landscaping material.)

And as I said, I have moved up: I may have once used Power-Loc track and low-end Life-Like locomotives, but now I've got higher-quality Atlas snap-track and better-running locomotives, though I still like many of Life-Like's rolling stock, building kits and accessories; my upcoming layout will still have plenty of that, though I will probably weather the buildings...

Originally posted by wiley209 - March 07 2014 :  10:54:50 PM

Life Like is definitely good for starting out with.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 07 2014 :  11:56:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Lionel "Kickapoo Valley and Northern!"

Originally posted by gmoney - February 25 2014 :  12:37:06 AM

Oh, back in Lionel's dark age.I searched it on the internet and I can tell it's from Lionel's dark era.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 08 2014 :  8:50:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Well, I started out with my father's old n-scale stuff from the 60's: a little Aurora freight set with a German 0-6-0 and a few american freight cars, a big Arnold ATSF streamliner that got burnt out decades ago and doesn't run, and some really nice German commuter set that I've never tried to run. I ended up getting some more N-scale stuff over time when I was little, and still occasionally pick up a freight car or two when the mood strikes me.

My parents gave me a Bachmann starter set for my 5th birthday as my first HO stuff, and I usually call that my first model train. A UP F7, two cars and a caboose. Looking back, I actually had one HO loco before that - a LL teakettle we brought back from a trip to Maine when I was 3.

An Athearn Hustler showed up a year or two later when a vendor at a train show simply gave it to me. What a malicious thing to do... it addicted me to those things, I now have 5 Hustlers and am looking for the black one next. I finally got it working at age 12. It's back at the workbench again now, getting some paint touchups and window glazing. I'll still be working on that damn switcher when I'm 90, I swear...

On my 7th birthday I got an Athearn Amtrak streamliner with an F9, an RPO (since repainted), a dome car and an obs. Shortly thereafter followed 5 or 6 freight cars from Northlandz (I still have a northlandz boxcar and tanker!), and a battered 89' Athearn flatcar from a thrift shop (I had never seen kadees before... oh how that car baffled me as a little kid!)

Christmas, age 8 or 9... a big Bachmann Reading Bee-line set, 2 SD45's, 5 or 6 cars... got me hooked on HO for good. Age 10, an AHM C628 and ten cars... that was my first train show. It's just gotten worse ever since

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 08 2014 :  9:38:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Well, I started out with my father's old n-scale stuff from the 60's: a little Aurora freight set with a German 0-6-0 and a few american freight cars, a big Arnold ATSF streamliner that got burnt out decades ago and doesn't run, and some really nice German commuter set that I've never tried to run. I ended up getting some more N-scale stuff over time when I was little, and still occasionally pick up a freight car or two when the mood strikes me.

My parents gave me a Bachmann starter set for my 5th birthday as my first HO stuff, and I usually call that my first model train. A UP F7, two cars and a caboose. Looking back, I actually had one HO loco before that - a LL teakettle we brought back from a trip to Maine when I was 3.

An Athearn Hustler showed up a year or two later when a vendor at a train show simply gave it to me. What a malicious thing to do... it addicted me to those things, I now have 5 Hustlers and am looking for the black one next. I finally got it working at age 12. It's back at the workbench again now, getting some paint touchups and window glazing. I'll still be working on that damn switcher when I'm 90, I swear...

On my 7th birthday I got an Athearn Amtrak streamliner with an F9, an RPO (since repainted), a dome car and an obs. Shortly thereafter followed 5 or 6 freight cars from Northlandz (I still have a northlandz boxcar and tanker!), and a battered 89' Athearn flatcar from a thrift shop (I had never seen kadees before... oh how that car baffled me as a little kid!)

Christmas, age 8 or 9... a big Bachmann Reading Bee-line set, 2 SD45's, 5 or 6 cars... got me hooked on HO for good. Age 10, an AHM C628 and ten cars... that was my first train show. It's just gotten worse ever since

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 08 2014 :  8:50:44 PM

That was an interesting story. This is a good example of why I put this poll in. These interesting stories these people tell.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:43:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by wiley209 - March 07 2014 :  10:54:50 PM

I remember when Toys R Us had model train products. They had Life Like, Model Power, Bachmann, and maybe even Athearn, although I'm not 100% sure.Last time I was there a couple of years ago to get a present for someone in my family, they were all gone. They don't sell them there anymore.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:49:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
true Kovac The only thing there is Chugginton & Thomas
Tho Bachmann is making both

I bought a Tyco Coca-Cola tank car from Toys "R" Us years ago in the 1990s

Edited by - microbusss on March 09 2014 12:51:16 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 09 2014 :  12:54:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
what was that you said ben "bought" a coca cola car,shame on youken

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 09 2014 :  1:28:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
true Kovac The only thing there is Chugginton & Thomas
Tho Bachmann is making both

I bought a Tyco Coca-Cola tank car from Toys "R" Us years ago in the 1990s

Originally posted by microbusss - March 09 2014 :  12:49:15 PM

Ya, Thomas kinda sucks except I have some Bachmann Thomas stuff I got from my brother who loves Thomas. But, believe it or not, Thomas is how I got into trains when I was little. I just got my first model train anything in 2004.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 09 2014 1:29:53 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 27 2019 :  9:24:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
My first locomotive was a bachman 0-6-0 union pacific switcher with a slope tender.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 27 2019 :  9:47:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
My very first model train was a model power 0-4-0 with a tender. It was one of the newer ones with the visor on the headlight. I dont remember what the set was called but would love to get it again. I wonder if it was a set that was thrown together randomly, as I'm sure my dad got it secondhand. I only have teeny pics. It is in the backround of a Christmas card from 2010, but remember it fondly.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 28 2019 :  08:35:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Lionel 027 The Rock Island Line set with a 2-4-0 w/ tender & bobber caboose
It had a PC gondola
yellow UP flatcar (reaquired)
blue Conrail boxcar
paper cardboard bridge, tunnel & depot
Banjo signal & gate
I still got the board it was on but no tracks
Board is being used as a shelf in garage
I used board for my HO Golden Spike set by Bachmann later Still have most of that set too!
I would like to get that brochure that came in it called "How to build a railroad empire"

Originally posted by microbusss - February 25 2014 :  8:46:07 PM

I thought it was an 0-4-0
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 28 2019 :  08:52:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

My first train set was a O scale Lionel steam freight set. My grandmother bought it for me in December of 1966.

She also bought the operating milk car to go with the set.
She and the set are gone but the happy memories remain.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - December 31 2019 :  01:23:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
I honestly dont remember my first set. Most of my cars and locos were TYCO with some AHM mixed in. The one I remember most was a Silver Streak set.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 31 2019 :  01:56:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:

My first train set was a O scale Lionel steam freight set. My grandmother bought it for me in December of 1966.

She also bought the operating milk car to go with the set.
She and the set are gone but the happy memories remain.

Originally posted by wks - December 28 2019 :  08:52:03 AM

Nice photo, Richard... I have a similar photo of myself at 7 getting a Motorific set for Christmas...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 31 2019 :  4:41:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

This is a surviving Wrenn piece from my first set, 1966. Somehow it survived being tossed for
decades, and became the starting point for my British OO layout, "Henley." The guard's wagon
to the left, and the simple, plain brown wagon to the right are Hornby's, but, I believe similar
to what came with the original set.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 31 2019 4:43:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - December 31 2019 :  4:59:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
The first train I remember seeing in any house in my life was a Lionel my Brother got
IT MAY have been a diesel set but I remember the box artwork on the box cover
Last time I saw it it was in back of Dad's Dodge Dart when THAT was brand new (1969) He had that car till 1986.

I either got an AHM Union Pacific set from Korvettes or a used Lionel set from an American Legion sale My mom paid for the Lionel...…………………………………………………………$ 1.00
The AHM Had a small UP Diesel UP (I Think) box car Mobil Tank Car caboose Still have the power pack

The Lionel I found out was from 1960 243 loco and tender a flat car (originally the 68120 the 6519 Aliss Chalmer car Cities Service Tank caboose with extra track bridge and a train station THE REST IS HISTORY
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 31 2019 :  5:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I can't quite remember because I was always a "car kid". I do remember getting a larger scale Marx set for Christmas in 1971. Dad dated the underside of the engine. I still have this set and it runs well! As far as the HO scale stuff, I would have to look thru old Christmas photos which is always fun anyway!

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - July 30 2020 :  12:54:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Well I guess that's not quite right when I was just a little kid back in the late 2000s and early 2010s I remember having some old Tyco rolling stock and track that I liked to set up on the floor and push around I also have a very vague memory of me looking at an old yellow Tyco diesel locomotive I'm not sure what it was I think it was probably a Tyco chessie system 630 these must have belonged to my uncle when he was a kid and then I played with them when I was little at my grandparents house the rolling stock that I remember there being was an old Tyco baby Ruth refrigerator car and a Santa Fe crane I don't think the locomotive ever worked when I owned it I didn't have a power pack to run it with anyways I think my grandparents threw it out the locomotive because I didn't ever use it. then they moved to a different house I think they threw out the rest of the Tyco track and rolling stock.
quote:
My first locomotive was a bachman 0-6-0 union pacific switcher with a slope tender.

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - December 27 2019 :  9:24:50 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Why buy brass? Topic Next Topic: Concerning Name for my New N-Scale Layout!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000