Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Lehigh Valley 4-4-0 camelback
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Custom Heart of Steel Locomotive Topic Next Topic: Honeywell Box Car
Page: of 2

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 23 2014 :  2:59:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well I know what my next project is. A Lehigh Valley 4-4-0 camelback. To have a good drive I will use a Rivarossi 4-4-0 drive from one of their old timers. The body will be scratch built. My standard wish at the start of all my projects is " I hope it looks OK !"
* Here goes. I found 2 sets of drawings on the type of engine. One is a 1880 style and the 1890. The older one has neat stuff as details. Domes, headlight, fancy wood cab, Cap stack smoke stack, and things different. Done in a old way. The compressor and a air tank are mounted on the frame between the cylinders and first driver. This is not a massive locomotive. Without the tender it is only around 4 inches long without a cow catcher. the prototype in HO is 4 5/8 " long. Not exactly a big boy.
* The photo I see with 4-4-0 #424 pulling a opening run of the Black Diamond Is the look I like. I still have to check out a few more places for a little more info. My drawings are in a Free Google E-book, the

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 10 2022 09:20:19 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 24 2014 :  09:21:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank,looks like a nice project,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 24 2014 :  10:14:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
hi frank,looks like a nice project,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - January 24 2014 :  09:21:57 AM

Hi Ken. Well this project came to the top of my list. Pushing out the PRR one of a kind 2-4-6t suburban. The 2-4-2 Lionel engines will all get a quickie transformation into a 2-4-4t suburban types. Just a enlarged coal bunker, with a rear coupler added, and 4 wheel trailing trucks. Just cant find the tenders for them or they would be sold or traded as original Lionel locos.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 24 2014 :  10:18:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I can't wait to see it Frank! I do picture a Mantua 4-4-0 chassis for frame and what not.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 24 2014 :  10:29:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
I can't wait to see it Frank! I do picture a Mantua 4-4-0 chassis for frame and what not.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - January 24 2014 :  10:18:14 AM

* The General to too small. The AHM-Rivarossi 4-4-0 are larger. Their boiler is the right diameter but being a wagon top boiler it is wrong. That is why I need to make a new boiler. The AHM -Riv drive has its drive shaft within the frame sides and that would allow for a detailed boiler backhead on the LV model. I think for the mantua one the shaft would have to pass through it. Don't really know for sure till it get built.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 26 2014 :  11:13:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I received a informative response in Railfan.net Lehigh Valley forum.
Here it is.

quote:
Info from scottychaos, railfan.net :
I would say the drawing is a very good match for the "James Donnelly"
Here is what I have on the two locomotives:

LV 424
named "James Donnelly"
built LV S. Easton shops
built in 1886
Renumbered in 1905 to LV 2599
Scrapped 8/1916

LV 615
built LV S. Easton shops
built in 1892
Renumbered in 1905 to LV 2714
Scrapped 8/1923

Considering they were both built at the South Easton shops 6 years apart,
both 4-4-0 camelbacks..they seem very similar:

Scotty had sent two posts the first is above. the second info on the rebuild of #615 with two photos. They are greatly appreciated.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 26 2014 11:19:01 AM

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 30 2014 :  3:36:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Do you need Casey Jone drivers Frank?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 30 2014 :  4:05:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Do you need Casey Jone drivers Frank?

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - January 30 2014 :  3:36:11 PM

I won't know till I try to place parts from one of my Casey Jones into the frame, and see how it fits and if it will work. I could still use a drive for one.
frank

toptrain

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 30 2014 :  6:36:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hi Frank, Looks like you've got a real nice set-up to build upon. I'm wondering if you might show a couple photos on how you built your back head? Thanks, Barry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 30 2014 :  11:46:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Neat project, Frank. It will be interesting to watch this come together.

Just be careful if you use the CJ drivers... those spokes are fragile.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 31 2014 :  07:14:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Frank, Looks like you've got a real nice set-up to build upon. I'm wondering if you might show a couple photos on how you built your back head? Thanks, Barry

Originally posted by Barry - January 30 2014 :  6:36:13 PM

* Barry; I am sorry. I started on the backhead 2 days ago. I didn't get any photos of the assembly. The way I did it, it came out Ok first time. If you are going to model things. Anything ! Any Scale ! You must have scale drawing. You must always be comparing what you are doing, to the drawing. This reparation is something that helps a lot.

* I found and made a set of drawings on the locomotive, and was able to cut out the section in scale that I was modeling. A backhead is in 2 metal plates with lots of rivets and on this engine 2 separate doors to the fire box . I from cutouts made the two plates. They are void of any detail. I made copies of these plates in thin clear plastic. On these I put impressions of the rivets and also out of this thin plastic cut out the two door shape. I glued the thin overlays to the backhead plates, then to one another. After this a coat to engine black. This is the only detail I have on the backhead at this time.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 31 2014 07:17:37 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 31 2014 :  11:25:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a photo of the backhead. I will make new fire box doors. sitting on my 4-4-0 Rivarossi drive.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 10 2022 09:21:37 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 06 2014 :  12:46:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well the fire box has a shape now.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 06 2014 :  3:25:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I sheathed the rest of the boiled in plastic to make it easier to detail. I installed the front walkways.

frank

V-295

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 06 2014 3:56:29 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 11 2014 :  5:52:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* yesterday I got did some work on the cab and walkways.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 11 2014 :  6:08:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a view of the front on a angle, engineers side.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 11 2014 :  6:17:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank,looking good,thanks for progress report,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - February 11 2014 :  9:23:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
Very good looking. What did you use for the boiler front?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 11 2014 :  11:13:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It is a pleasure to see your work and also be able to see how it progresses and how you do things.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 12 2014 :  08:17:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Thank You Guys, Kenny, Mike and Barry. And Mike the boiler front was a part I found in my parts box. I don't know what it came from. It is old cast metal, something like a Selley part. It is the only one I had that fit. I am still looking for something else because it has 5 hole drilled in it that I can use only one of. For now it is just on to make the front look a little better. I may still build one from sheet plastic and cut a door from a tyco one. I just keep looking at the drawing and photos of the prototype and wait for some idea to come. Something always does or I find a part that works better.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 13 2014 :  8:54:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Now I did a little today and my photo shows problems. One the steam dome is just a new base for the dome. The second is the boiler is 1/8" to short. So tomorrow I'll work on making it 1/8" longer.
* just like today and a hole lot of other days this month most of my will be spent shoveling snow. It seem we have gotten snow about every 4th day this month. Today we were to get 3 or 4 inches. We got 15. That would be so bad but we got 10, 3 days ago. 4 days before that 8 inches, and 2 other show events before that. It is raining right now. it should turn to show soon. It is now to stop till 5 or 6 AM. They say another 3 to 5 inches. If I do my math right and 3 to 4 give 15 inches of snow. Than 3 to 5 should be more. Maybe 16 or 17.
* well here is the 4-4-0 today.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 20 2014 6:05:34 PM

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - February 14 2014 :  01:14:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
Looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing this when it is completed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 14 2014 :  09:34:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Now a update before more work is done. **

* this is my thinking ahead post !

* I have replaced the front pilot section which includes the cylinders. On the old one when I was trying to bend up the pilot section before I cut the old broken pilot off I broke the part where the platform joins with the cylinders. I really don't think that a glued joint would have held long, so it is replaced. This is probably just temporally. Maybe I should put the old one back . I am certain I have another one with a broken pilot. I have a longer old fashion pilot that is seen in the drawing. It came off of the Mantua Reading P7 I kitbashed.

* The headlight is large. The Headlight, smoke stack , and sand dome all must look the same in size, as on the drawing. That will be hard to do.

*Also on the cab of which I modeled #615 and not 424, because I know I won't be able to decal the name James Donnalley on the cab side one letter at a time and do it straight. This is why I chose to do 615 instead. I need to do only 3 numbers. Less chance of messing up. Now the center section on the cab side with the wood grain detail isn't the best of backing for decals . I most likely make a number board to fit the space. I have choices to make here and 615 may become 424 again for obvious reasons.

* That's enough thinking ahead for now. I've already been out shoveling the snow away from around the house. Now I got to go dig out car again. Wonder of wonders. They are talking about snow again on Saturday or Sunday. How nice. It is nice and sunny right now and should melt away some of the snow.

* Have a nice day everybody.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 21 2014 :  1:22:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now to fix the boiler being 1/8" short. I made 2 rings using brass pipe of 2 different sizes. One 3'8" long, fits snuggly inside the brass pipe used in the boiler. the other 1'8" long is of the same pipe as the boiler. I krazey glued the smaller inside the boiler leaving 1/32" lip extending out of the boiler. That is where I am now.
* You can see everything I have just described. Also the second ring ready to install.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 21 2014 :  2:08:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Now here is the unfinished lengthened boiler. Now is the time to make the boiler look nice.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2014 :  11:12:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Now I have with the addition on another spacer between boiler and cylinders I have a straight boiler. It is supported at a good height for the ash accumulator box to placed on the pilot under the boiler smoke box.
* Now for the walkway steps front and rear, and handrails.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 28 2014 :  12:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
coming along nicely frank,i hope your seeing light at the end of the tunnel now ken

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2014 :  2:14:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
coming along nicely frank,i hope your seeing light at the end of the tunnel now ken

Originally posted by catfordken - February 28 2014 :  12:06:57 PM

* Got to remember my last project, the 2 2-8-0's took 14 months. This one I feel is going for me rather quickly. The way I have been going another month and a half.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 26 2014 08:08:30 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 26 2014 :  11:01:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Stephen you should read the entire topic. That is the idea of it. Everything I have dreamed up and deceived on is listed here. But no one does that. They start on the end and fill a information post with needless questions and make it harder on the next person who finds the thread to read through.
I am certain I will never show a step be step of any of my projects again. I just put one photo in locomotive of the week. It is so very much easier.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 26 2014 :  11:32:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
that would be a shame frank,as some of us do read your stage by stage reports and photos ken

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 26 2014 :  12:51:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Stephen you should read the entire topic. That is the idea of it. Everything I have dreamed up and deceived on is listed here. But no one does that. They start on the end and fill a information post with needless questions and make it harder on the next person who finds the thread to read through.
I am certain I will never show a step be step of any of my projects again. I just put one photo in locomotive of the week. It is so very much easier.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - March 26 2014 :  11:01:19 AM

I realized my mistake and read through the whole thing. After that, I deleted my post. Sorry to cause you trouble about this. I'll promise never to do anything like this again. I'm a newer member of this forum. I'll learn over time and eventually become as helpful and smart about the forum as the members who've been here for a while. I've only been here for a little more than a month and most of the members who've been on this forum for a while have been here for a few years or more. Basically to conclude this post is to give me a chance. I haven't been here for a very long time so it's still a little awkward at times and I'm still learning how to make good posts and be more helpful to people when they need it. By the way, thank you for that post stating that I've caused no trouble, toptrain. It made me feel so much better.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 26 2014 9:28:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 26 2014 :  1:17:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
Quite a handsome loco so far. If you need a headlight, I my have something that might work. I'll provide a photo in a note if you're interested.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 26 2014 :  1:32:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Stephen, You caused me no trouble. I hope you liked the read, and seen how I learned from misjudgments and mistakes. I hope from what was written something positive has resulted. This building is entirely different from the two CNJ 2-8-0s I recently completed. Different ways of doing thing are used in each loco. Each loco made in a different way. The I5 had all brass rear walkway stations and railing. The I4 has plastic walkways with purchased stanchions and steel handrails. This 4-4-0 will get even a different type handrail. In this I will make my own stanchions and apply them to a thicker plastic walkway. Railing will be steel again. On the 4-4-0 the unique use of brass pipe overlaid with plastic sheeting makes for a very solid model. I should be starting on the new handrail system soon. You never can tell but another 4-4-0 may follow this one. I have been looking at one of a different class. Still Lehigh Valley.
* Maybe I write of these differences, though reading the other topic will tell of them.

Mike ; I have 2 other of what looks like the proper oil headlight but both are just to big. The gas light will have to do for now. Though wrong it has a old style and isn't as big as the others. Maybe I can make one.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 27 2014 08:51:43 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 27 2014 :  08:57:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Mike Here in this drawing, below click link, can be seen my problem . Even this light is to big when you reference it to my photo. It needs to be a real little light.

http://tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/uploaded/toptrain/20140213205818_LV%20615%204-4-0c.JPG

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 27 2014 09:01:40 AM

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 27 2014 :  10:42:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist

I think this will work.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 27 2014 :  12:56:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Thanks Mike. I have put 3 hours in this 4-4-0 this morning. I made a light. I had a front casting of a light from a MDC climax and just added everything else. Even a shelf. Because of the time waiting for glue to dry, I worked on the tender filling in around the motor. This is a coal burner so I will fill the tender with coal covering the plastic overlay. I am sure all will work out alright. Thanks for the offer Mike.
* Here is the 4-4-0 right now.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 27 2014 12:58:00 PM

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 27 2014 :  1:54:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
Looking better with every picture.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 30 2014 :  07:28:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Here is the 4-4-0 with coal in the tender. the new light painted black, the fireman's shelter supported, sand pipes installed, I changed the smoke stack, front walkways resurfaced, hiding all the times I have changed them.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 30 2014 07:30:52 AM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 30 2014 :  09:12:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
looking great frank

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 08 2014 :  08:41:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Thanks Kenny. Still not getting this done as fast as I wanted to.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 08 2014 :  4:19:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now some of the piping is done and I've started on the removable roof. I want always to be able to get into the cab. For various neato reasons.
frank

first with the removable roof frame in

Next with it out.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 13 2014 :  6:17:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My new removable roof is a success. Looks great and comes off easily. Lots of handrails put on and other details.
frank

toptrain

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 14 2014 :  12:09:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Neat fabrication as always, Frank. Makes for a unique little model.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 20 2014 :  6:27:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
That is a little jewel of a locomotive. Excellent work!
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - April 22 2014 :  09:47:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
Frank
I love this project. It ranks up there with the Folsom prison number 1 progress fabrication. While I have not done a lot of fabrication in a long long time (got too used to ready to run) you have inspired me to go back into my project collection and look at an old MANTUA cast metal Pacific I started years ago.
As for the time line don't forget that doing it right and quality takes time and patience, after all my future project (when I make time now) has been sitting on the shelf for 20 yrs.

Maybe if enough of us try we can get a forum page just for fabrications like this one.

Leo

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 23 2014 :  09:36:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Frank
I love this project. It ranks up there with the Folsom prison number 1 progress fabrication. While I have not done a lot of fabrication in a long long time (got too used to ready to run) you have inspired me to go back into my project collection and look at an old MANTUA cast metal Pacific I started years ago.
As for the time line don't forget that doing it right and quality takes time and patience, after all my future project (when I make time now) has been sitting on the shelf for 20 yrs.

Maybe if enough of us try we can get a forum page just for fabrications like this one.

Leo

Originally posted by babuff - April 22 2014 :  09:47:13 AM

Hi Leo ! I am glade you like the old locomotive. The forum topic is customizing and kitbashing. Mine is a scratch built body added to a manufactured drive, so it fits kitbashed. Just the term customizing seems more to do with auto and motorcycle modeling. With trains the term detailing or re-detailing is most often used.
Thanks for the kind words.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 01 2014 :  5:38:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Some touchups and a even coat of paint.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 04 2014 :  8:12:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Almost done! Maybe I am.
About my choice of road number. Number 5 is the locomotive "David Laury" A man with quite a history of service to his comunity and the Lehigh Valley railroad. This locomotive was chosen to pull the first run of the "Black Diamond".
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 10 2022 09:30:41 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 04 2014 :  8:24:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Wow! Love it, Frank.
The Tyco Depot

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - May 04 2014 :  8:30:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank,that is a sweet loco,worth waiting to see ken

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 05 2014 :  12:05:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice model. Looks ready to go get some work done now.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Custom Heart of Steel Locomotive Topic Next Topic: Honeywell Box Car  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000