Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 Atomic Racer Construction
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Slot van from Amish country, Ephrata, PA Topic Next Topic: Expected Track Connecting Problem  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 13 2013 :  10:55:18 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
After finding (what I believe to be) a suitable windshield for my futuristic race car, I finally got started on construction tonight.

The starting point is one of my Tyco Chaparral 2D bodies. I'm trying to keep this first one simple. The only modification I'm doing other than the windshield is removing the wing mounts.

Wing mounts and roof filed off:

Test fitting the windshield:

It'll look better once everything is glued in. It was hard to hold the windshield in place and take a picture at the same time.

Stay tuned!

Edited by - DaCheez on November 14 2013 10:56:53 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - November 14 2013 :  12:56:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Well, Eric, we all want to know what you finally ended up using for the "glass"?
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 356  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 14 2013 :  11:02:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I never answered that, did I? In my other post I believe I mentioned the blister pack from a tube of super glue looking like it would work. I also found a package of two 1/4" jacks that had a blister shape almost identical to the super glue pack. That jack blister is what I ended up using. The good thing about the blister for the jacks is that both ends can be used, meaning I can make a pair of cars with identical windshields.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 17 2013 :  10:59:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Fresh out of the custom paint shop...all she needs is a clear-coat before the windshield and headlights go in.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 19 2013 :  10:02:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
And the finished product...

The window worked out quite well, I think. I do wish there was enough room to put a couple of seats inside, but the motor leaves no room in the little chaparral. Ah well, this is HO after all. At least the outside looks good...how it holds up to crashes will be a whole other story...

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 22 2013 :  10:23:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Cheez - the car and glass look great. Looks like it was made that way originally.

I never posted the pic of the plastic bubble sheet I thought might work. Looking at your Chapparal I think this may be too big, but it might work in another application. The Tyco truck is there for size comparison:

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 22 2013 :  11:15:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks!

I can definitely see why you'd suggest those plastic bubbles. I don't know they would have fit well on the Chaparral, but on a standard sedan they'd probably be perfect. You said they came from a case of pens? I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2013 :  07:55:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks!

I can definitely see why you'd suggest those plastic bubbles. I don't know they would have fit well on the Chaparral, but on a standard sedan they'd probably be perfect. You said they came from a case of pens? I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

Originally posted by DaCheez - November 22 2013 :  11:15:03 PM

Yep, they fit in an envelope that someone sent some sample personalized pens to us in at work. Was going to throw it away but I kept seeing those old Kenner building set roof panels with skylights whenever I looked at it Has to be good for something

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 23 2013 :  11:19:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Has to be good for something

That's what I keep telling myself about all the little bits and junk I have kicking around!
  Previous Topic: Slot van from Amish country, Ephrata, PA Topic Next Topic: Expected Track Connecting Problem  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000