Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 50' Gondola Canister Load
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A seriously detailed Athearn GP40-2 in Chessie. Topic Next Topic: Athearn Stanchions  

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 25 2013 :  8:54:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Got a pair of Erie 50' gons, one with the screw-in coupler pockets and one with the metal plates, from the LHS recently. One came with the LCL refrigerated containers, the other had the LCL canisters, which I've been looking for for a long time. Only thing is, all I can find on the internet are red canister loads, and these ones are silver and they sure look to have been factory-painted that way. So the question is: do I have something rare and unusual, is it just an extremely cleverly done custom paint job, or did some other company make the canisters in silver? I can't find them anywhere
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 25 2013 :  10:05:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Connor,
Know who made the cars? The loads may have not even been factory with the cars, but to figure that out we will need to know who the cars are made by OR pictures to identify them to then figure out if the loads came with the actual cars......

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 27 2013 :  9:51:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Sorry, forgot to say they're athearn :P The cars and loads I know for certain are all original athearn blue box. I've seen the same canisters in red with the same gondola at shows and on the internet, the only difference is my canisters are molded in black and painted silver. Once I find my camera I'll post pics.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 27 2013 :  10:23:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Connor,
You know, it sounds as tho your canisters are/were the undecorated versions. Why? They were black, painted silver...Most of Athearns "shells" no matter which part were molded black, and then painted as per the car to match whatever they were attempting....WAS your canisters factory paint, or painted by someone?

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 28 2013 :  05:38:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The round cans can be silver or red. Silver normally came in the Michigan Central car, no reason someone couldn't swap them out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 29 2013 :  02:05:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
lvrr325,
Your right tho..... They could have been silver or red, HOWEVER, never forget that Athearn used to offer great numbers of undecorated cars in black, I'm just wondering if these canisters were painted by Athearn as a factory paint, or if someone painted them.....

~John

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 29 2013 :  10:01:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
So far as I know all were molded in black and painted. Some red, some silver. I have an OB MCRR gon with the silver ones here.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 29 2013 :  11:14:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Didn't Lionel 027 trains have a gondola with a canister load?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 29 2013 :  11:34:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ben,
They did.....I'm just not sure what road names where on the cars.....

~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 30 2013 :  12:37:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/lionelo271970srollingstockresource/id250.html
This is a hint
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 30 2013 :  7:32:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
I have a black ERIE gondola around here someplace that has six square-based silver-colored items.

I had it in a glass display case that my wife wanted me to give to my grandson for some of his collectibles.

Still looking for the Gondola.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 04 2013 :  07:36:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The "Frozen Food Car" - those are LCL refrigerated containers. Also came in several colors but silver is most common, Erie car is much scarcer than the N&W, only offered those two roads.

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - November 24 2013 :  4:10:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Huh. They are, absolutely, factory-painted silver canisters. I also have 2 of the Erie gons with the LCL refrigerator containers. Those Lionel cars sure look familiar, but they're not HO
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 24 2013 :  6:53:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
This has got to be one of the most difficult items I have yet to find..... The canisters whether round or the square ones..... I'd LOVE to find one of each.......... just so I can make a mold of them and use for loading some cars a bit differently, you guys with them are a few lucky guys! As I haven't seen a spare canister, OR a complete car with them, no matter what roadname they're painted in!
~John

Previous Topic: A seriously detailed Athearn GP40-2 in Chessie. Topic Next Topic: Athearn Stanchions  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000