Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Employee Interview posted
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua or Tyco Great Northern GP20 prototype. Topic Next Topic: TYCO prototype  GM+O Diesel  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - October 15 2013 :  2:48:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Just creeping out from the shadows to note, as we say in my day job: "I (finally) fixed the glitch" so my site is back online.

And with it, the interview I mentioned a few times in the past is now available. Let it not be said I cloister information in secretive obscurity. But at something like 25 pages, it's a doozy.

I hope you enjoy and share any comments. My contact has recently undergone surgery entailing a lengthy recovery, so if you have any words of appreciation for his shared perspective, I will pass them along.

Regards,

-Tony L.

(EDIT: Duh, I'm out of practice around here. Forgot a direct link: http://www.goingincirclez.com/TycoTrains/Woodbury )

Edited by - spiderj76 on October 15 2013 2:53:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - October 15 2013 :  3:01:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Spider J, as I said in my comments, it was an outstanding interview. I enjoyed it so much that I read it twice so that I could really digest it, great work! I was so surprised to read about how companies were about the royalties to be on the side of a box car. I wonder how many cars were out there that got turned down and had to go straight to the trash can. Those could never be on eBay because they are illegal. The double PT motors, WOW!!! It was really informative reading. Do you plan on posting a picture of how the device he sent you would work? Thanks again.
Edited by - GG-1 Guy on October 15 2013 3:18:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - October 15 2013 :  3:12:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I just saw those... dang, you guys are quick, that was like less than a day after I fixed it? I almost feel missed, ha ha :)

I appreciate the kind words though, thank you.

As for the tool, that's a fair question but it'll be a while before I get around to ripping a unit apart for demonstration under the photo tent. It's kinda hard to explain but once you "see" or "imagine" how it works, it's obvious. The prongs basically slip between the armature cover and the motor block, to hold the springs down while inserting the terminal tabs. You can then slide the tool out and the springs pop up against the terminal tabs, and you can tighten the cover all the way. It makes a more consistent process if you're assembling these by the dozens. But for one-off repairs and troubleshooting, etc - especially considering the terminal tabs are already installed and much more troublesome to separate from the cover at this point - it's not really an absolute necessity.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 15 2013 :  5:14:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Great stuff! I always pondered about the PT being similar to a Aurora cars!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - October 15 2013 :  7:18:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
Fantastic interview. Very thoughtful questions. Even though we don't really have the source any longer for those 4 aforementioned billboard cars we've always speculated about, we now have an idea as to WHY they were never mass-produced.

I was also surprised that the initial mock-ups of these "Famous Four" didn't appear in Bob Beers' (or the Dan's Train Depot) prototype collections/auctions over the years.

Thank you Tony for sharing this outstanding information.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - October 15 2013 :  7:24:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
GG-1...Looking at the armature tool, I believe it could be developed using a ladies hairpin...the type that is hollow in the middle, and shaped like a 7.62 round. They are about 3 inches in length, and maybe an inch wide (possibly 1/2 inch). Clip and fold to suit the design need. The square center tab would be the kicker in the configuration.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 15 2013 :  8:48:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Tony, long time no hear. I hope you don't see your shadow and vanish into your lair again.

Cool article, and a lot of work. I've only skimmed a bit but here are a few notes: on the 2-10-4, I think that production model was a brass one-off. The upper edges of the coal bunker look like brass sheet, and the bunker appears empty. I doubt it would have been nearly that detailed if it had ever made production.

About the dual PT trucks, I tried that years ago in a Shark with limited success. His point about a spur gear drive is valid, but only if it's freewheeling like Lionel's early robust steam loco drives. The PT drives weren't, so when one truck would get sluggish, it was hell on the other, and I was constantly cleaning out the motors to keep them running at optimal speed. Eventually the pinions started slipping from the stress of one dragging the other around.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 15 2013 :  11:39:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Tony, I discovered this interview on your site several days ago and have read through most of it. There's some really cool insight into the inner workings of Tyco, as well as some great history. Thanks for posting and keep doing what you're doing!

Eric
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Helm
Little Six

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 16 2013 :  07:42:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Helm to Buddylist
Welcome back!

Great interview - explains so much about the rise and fall of Tyco.

Thanks!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 138  ~  Member Since: October 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 16 2013 :  4:00:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Glad to hear it Tony!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - October 27 2013 :  9:33:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Thanks Tony for that interview. Awesome article, you continue to out do yourself. I've learned quite a bit from you over the years. That article nailed a few questions I've had for years.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - October 28 2013 :  04:12:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Awesome job! Nice read.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 06 2014 :  7:53:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
sj:

I really love this interview. So insightful and so many details.

Now I'm kicking around the idea of making a "PT done right", according to what the original plans may have been. Maybe get a steel or bronze pinion from somewhere, upgrade the motor magnets to higher-grade Aurora slot car ones, if I can find some that work. I wonder what the original magnet material was, that was said to be stronger than those eventually used. Maybe just a higher grade of ceramic?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 07 2014 :  02:05:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Very interesting article, thanks for posting.I've been wondering why I haven't seen those 2-10-4's they kept showing in the catalogs.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - December 07 2014 :  6:13:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
An excellent interview! This answers so many questions. It's literally a treasure trove of inside information. I have a new found respect for the PT, even though my Royal Blue just spun the gear off of the rotor lol. I've been busy converting a junk tender chassis to MU-2, but now I'll have to repair the PT as well.

I wonder how many dual PT engines we'll see after this????

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - April 15 2021 :  10:23:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
sorry to bump the topic but the link does not work so here is a new one.
http://web.archive.org/web/20141014022339/http://www.goingincirclez.com/TycoTrains/Woodbury
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Top_Jimmy
Switcher

Posted - April 16 2021 :  7:56:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Top_Jimmy to Buddylist
I tired the new link but can't get it to come up on the archive site. What to do?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: April 04 2021  ~  Last Visit: August 06 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - April 16 2021 :  9:14:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
I tired the new link but can't get it to come up on the archive site. What to do?

Originally posted by Top_Jimmy - April 16 2021 :  7:56:16 PM

This site reads those links as two separate links (for some reason). To view the interview you'll need to copy the *entire* link and paste it into your browser.

Edited by - kristofer4301 on April 16 2021 9:14:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Top_Jimmy
Switcher

Posted - April 17 2021 :  12:55:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Top_Jimmy to Buddylist
Got it. Thanks much! Great read!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: April 04 2021  ~  Last Visit: August 06 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua or Tyco Great Northern GP20 prototype. Topic Next Topic: TYCO prototype  GM+O Diesel  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000