Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Athearn 4-6-2 Pacific, 2nd run
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn Stanchions Topic Next Topic: Anybody else love these Genesis AT&SF units?  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 01 2013 :  7:37:39 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
While digging through the bosses junk box of HO, I pulled out this steam engine, has a BIG gear drive on the bottom showing. The tender looks like a Hi-F drive with the trucks having the big thick plastic axles. So looking up Steam on HO-Seeker's site, I did find the Athearn connection to be true. It's a 2nd run edition, with black driver wheels. Needs some work but it ran slow and smooth when I had it upside down testing it. Very impressed with the motor, didn't take it apart, wonder if it's a 5 or 7 pole? Anyone know? I may have to buy it from him. This one is AT & SF, I prefer B & O, of which Athearn did make, so I could get it renumbered and lettered for my preferred road anyway. Well, C & O, but I"ll take a B & O as well. Here's some pictures of it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 01 2013 :  10:59:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The motor has 5 poles, and is their basic Hi-F motor. I consider this to be the 1st run, since the rubber band version never made it to market. It took some tweaking (particularly of the drawbar and rear truck spring), but I got mine to run quite nicely. Someday I'm going to find the right size neo magnets to replace the original.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 02 2013 :  12:56:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Those 4-6-2's were VERY well done B&M P-4's.....I got 2 of them to build, and will one day see at least one, run!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 02 2013 :  07:43:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Those 4-6-2's were VERY well done B&M P-4's.....

Originally posted by EM-1 - October 02 2013 :  12:56:05 AM

Thanks for that ID, Em-1. Well, HOSeeker lists it as second run, maybe just the detailing was done differently ( unpainted driver wheels ). At any rate, it LOOKS first rate, it appears "solid" to me, well-done as EM-1 said, so I may buy it from the shop. I haven't seen many Athearn steam engines in my life, this is probably one of the few they did? Seeing as how they did a good job with their diesels, even with a few problems, I'm sure these old steamers are collectible nontheless. I will try to acquire it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 02 2013 :  08:34:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Yep A B&M P4. A very large and heavily built Pacific. That is a nice looking one. Not to beat up. If you get it a nice find.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 02 2013 :  3:23:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Good price Jerry, I got 2 of them, maybe 3 if I look.. Sadly, I need a second tender to match the one I have to have 2 solid B&M P-4's.....

They have plastic drivers and are a bit "crude" BUT GREAT bases for B&M modelers to start from!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 07 2013 :  3:36:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Athearn did this, an 0-4-2T, and a USRA 0-6-0 in the early 60's. The Pacific doesn't run bad if you get a good one, I have a couple here. They came factory done in B&O so you should be able to round one up.

There's about three drive variants in the short run of these - the main gear can be on the rear or the middle axle and the last ones got metal drive wheels, or metal tires on them, I forget which.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 07 2013 :  6:01:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
lvrr,
I plan to keep the 2 I have as B&M models as they are a good start for a prototype models for my local club......

The ones I ave the gearing seems to run smoothly, I just want to add in a can motor for running DCC at the club I belong too as they are B&M based, and DCC operation.

~John

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 11 2013 :  5:53:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I would just isolate the original motor; the design doesn't lend well to remotoring but because of the way the pickup is arranged, isolating the motor and main frame should be easy.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Athearn Stanchions Topic Next Topic: Anybody else love these Genesis AT&SF units?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000