Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann High-Railers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann FT locomotive - NEWER DC version Q''s? Topic Next Topic: When Model Power ripped off Bachmann...  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 04 2013 :  5:17:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I wanna build a custom hi-railer. How is the Bachmann truck? Also, are the two outside wheel sets necessary? (the non-driving ones)
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 04 2013 :  5:34:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi justin to be a hi railer you need the road wheels and rail wheels,hi being short for highway,and railer for track,in bachmann model the vehicle wheels are for purposes of the model replaced with freight style wheels,the real truck uses the very small wheels for keeping vehicle on the rails ken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXE9-SSOtkY
/tyco/forum/uploaded/catfordken/20130804174103_lbacu6944.jpg

Edited by - catfordken on August 04 2013 5:41:18 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  7:28:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Justin Ken, would be correct, Hi-Railer means Hiway, and then Railer for railroad use, ALTHO the highway wheels on the model, are actually powered on the rear axle that are train wheels, NOT rubber tire wheels as they would be.

So, what are you thinking as "custom"?

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 04 2013 :  8:37:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I wants the old ones from Bachmann EXCEPT the van & Jeepsters
Not this $80++ DCC thing

Edited by - microbusss on August 04 2013 8:41:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 04 2013 :  9:06:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
I wanna build a custom hi-railer. How is the Bachmann truck? Also, are the two outside wheel sets necessary? (the non-driving ones)

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - August 04 2013 :  5:17:51 PM

No, they are not necessary to run the truck, although it's prototypicalness will be lacking. However, on both the old Bachmann Tracksters, and these new ones, the front rail wheels tend to actually DERAIL the vehicle than help keep it on track. I have a video of a kid who had the yellow pickup truck DCC'ed, and it was a fairly fast runner, probably out of scale fast, but it was smooth, unlike the old original Tracksters, and he ran it without the front rail-set, but kept the rears since they were draggers. Anyway, no, you don't need the front and rear hi-rail set-ups, the vehicles have flanged drive wheels anyway.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  10:46:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Not this $80++ DCC thing

Originally posted by microbusss - August 04 2013 :  8:37:30 PM

AGREED! I would love to find ANY of the old ones! At a decent price!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 04 2013 :  10:53:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
AGREED! I would love to find ANY of the old ones! At a decent price!

Yeah I want at least 4 pickups to have someone redo them in BN CNW & UP
I'll keep 1 as Conrail
As they were in the 1970s - 1980s
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  11:52:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Damn Ben, your gonna be lookin' awhile then! I simply want a pickup to change the body shell to something older (in the 1940's) and painted in B&O!

Bachmann must not have sold many of them....They are simply not common anywhere!

~John

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 05 2013 :  5:15:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
There's a railway museum about an hour from my house that has an old car ('39 Cadillac/Hudson/somethinglikethat) that had its rims/tires removed and was fitted with train wheels back in the day. I guess that wouldn't be considered a hi-railer, but it gives Justin's idea some plausibility
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 05 2013 :  5:38:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi dacheez they are or were called rail inspection cars ken

Edited by - catfordken on August 05 2013 5:39:51 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 05 2013 :  7:31:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Love that 55 Chevy!
~John

Edited by - EM-1 on August 07 2013 11:04:15 PM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 05 2013 :  8:47:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Damn Ben, your gonna be lookin' awhile then!

Bachmann must not have sold many of them....They are simply not common anywhere!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 04 2013 :  11:52:49 PM

I think one reason is, many vendors are asking $40-50 for them, and that was a bit much. I bought a yellow p/u for $25 a few years ago, vendor just looking to get rid of it I guess. They're rather specialized so most people, especially DCC'ers, don't want to fool with them.

I've found the older ones at shows, some high priced, some low. I have the BN truck, the school bus, the vans and jeepsters, the modern versions I have the yellow truck and the dark green Willys wagon. But yeah, you don't see them much at shows, the new ones. I think they're just asking too much. I'll pay 25, but I'm NOT paying 35-50 for one. Not when I can buy an older Athearn locomotive for that. Much as I like the Tracksters, the price-point has to come down a bit before I'll spring for those again. I do want some more, but will wait and see when someone just wants to unload them finally.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 05 2013 :  8:54:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
FDT has a video of the BLI version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymYpKzMins

-Thomas

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 06 2013 :  12:21:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
That's a '55 Chevy. '56's have a different grille and rectangular park lights/turn signals.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1485  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 06 2013 :  12:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Glenn,
Thanks for the correction it was a typo, I didn't even realize I said 56!!!! Yeah the 56 had the chrome lines meet on the fender side in the front as well, not the "notch" chrome lines as the 55......

~John

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 06 2013 :  9:47:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Yeah, and the front end of the '56 appears to "lean" forward a little more than the '55...

I'm trippin' on the hubcaps and "white walls" on those flanged wheels!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on August 06 2013 9:51:17 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1485  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 06 2013 :  10:48:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I am fond of the old cars as I once worked on a lot of them, and maybe one day I will again......only this time, MY OWN DAMNIT!

I'd take one with flanged wheels, I just don't know how I'd haul it around for "rail" trips! Be awesome to have an old Dodge truck, an original Power Wagon (pre-1968 I think) done up with flanged wheels! That be awesome as hell! That was before they began using the "Ram" as the Power Wagon body type......The Power Wagon was the same from I think it was 68 all the way back to the 50's! The Military was the actual owner of the design and Dodge took on the building of it......Damn its hard to pick just one I'd like to have.....Can I have both? A car and a truck?

~John

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 07 2013 :  07:32:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
[quote......Damn its hard to pick just one I'd like to have.....Can I have both? A car and a truck?

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 06 2013 :  10:48:41 PM

[/quote]

Dude, I own 24 cars and trucks. From three 1957 Chevy 4-door sedans, to a 1955 Chevy Suburban, up to my newest I bought last year, a 2011 Chevy HHR. It all depends on A) If you have the space to park them and B) if your wife doesn't mind. I kept some at my aunt's farm, then bought a property and have 11 cars stored on it after they had to move. I'm trying to downsize, as I have 9 Gremlins, and just won't get to them all in my lifetime. The Lottery is NOT co-operating at all!

Jerry

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 07 2013 :  11:19:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Jerry,
WOW! You lucky turd! BUT, it all depends too on what you got in them to be purchased, to the ones I'm looking for....Sadly, the 2 I'd LOVE to own go for BIG $$$$$$$.

I seen a '69 Dodge Charger, (NOT an R/T) go to an auction here in horrible shape, and it still went for $46,500 something....BUT It has a 340 in it and that's all good as that a good engine as well, an "AAR" class motor. In the early stages of bidding, I bid on it, up till it got to be $1,800 dollars then, I stopped as I needed cash to get home (was a pretty good ride home, over 2 hours!) BUT, when I heard the sold price, I about craped my pants, specially considering the shape it was in!

Yeah, I'm a old Dodge muscle car, guy!

The lottery, well with me I guess the saying, you gotta play to win applies here, I know I ain't got the luck, so I don't even bother....

~John

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - August 07 2013 :  12:50:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
Love that 56 Chevy!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 05 2013 :  7:31:56 PM

I don't think that's an actual chevy, from the background I would almost hazard this car was a soviet era copy....sorta like the TU-4 bomber built from the B-29 (right down to the Tupolev logo in place of the Boeing logo)

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 07 2013 :  7:07:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

I don't think that's an actual chevy, from the background I would almost hazard this car was a soviet era copy....\
Originally posted by rgcw5 - August 07 2013 :  12:50:50 PM

No, I've seen this car before, and I know what a 55 Chevy looks like. It IS a real car. Even the soviets wouldn't copy it in exacting detail like this is. It is genuine. There were companies out there that produced commercial vehicles like this for railroads, just like companies that produced taxi-cabs for companies by making them from something available. As much as I've been around Tri-chevies, that is no clone or foreign wannabe. Chevrolet exported many 4-doors, I heard Pakistan ran this era Chevy for years as taxi cabs.

jerry

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - August 13 2013 :  01:49:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The early ones are hard to find because they're one step removed from junk. The motors work loose in the chassis and then they won't go, but if someone doesn't take the shell off to check, they figure it's shot and tossed it.

Most of them are designed around the same one or two chassis.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 13 2013 :  02:09:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Mike, yes you have a point, they were terrible running little things! I have to say tho, I don't think I have EVER seen one of them, in a hobby shop for sale, in my entire life! And in my early years growing up I spent many a hour behind a hobby shop counter!!!!!

I can't even recall if there was ANY in my SHOP EVER!

~John

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 13 2013 :  07:50:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
I have to say tho, I don't think I have EVER seen one of them, in a hobby shop for sale, in my entire life!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 13 2013 :  02:09:59 AM

I imagine that the shops didn't stock them, due to price almost as much as a small engine, and that they WERE crappy running things, so they didn't sell well. I don't recall seeing them either, but that was 40 years ago....

Anyway, I DID buy a lot of about 120 of the original Trackster Jeepsters and vans some years ago, and discovered that if you changed out the front plastic pair of wheels with some of the brass pick-up wheels from the rear of another, they DO tend to run better! I want to add electrical pickups to the front wheels as well, to see how much that improves them, which I'm sure will be 100% LOL! The plastic wheels were often off-center on the axle, they seemed to have been heat-melted together, and if they got the center part off-line with the flanged piece, it would make the Jeepster bob up and down the track. Pretty sorrowful design issues with these things. I think I paid $88 plus shipping for them all, so it gives me a LOT of material to work with for years. And I guess I can fix up a few and sell them eventually, too. Anyhow, they're still a neat powered item, and the new ones are definitely worlds better than the old originals were as far as running. I just think the price is too high for most people to want to invest in one now, no matter how well-made, but after seeing that yellow pick-up DCC'ed and running around the modular layout, I'm will to spend the money and get an N gauge Decoder to get one working, probably the Jeepster (new version ). Just for the wow factor.

Jerry

Below is the amount of Tracksters I bought in a lot off Ebay.

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 15 2013 :  10:53:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Having been bitten by the slot car bug again, I've been working on those, but this topic has caused me to start working on these older Bachmann Jeepsters as well. I took some to work yesterday, and I have found a replacement can motor at Radio Shack, 9v with 24,000 RPM no-load. REALLY runs smoothly! I powered it with a MRC power pack, and it stops accelerating about half-throttle, so I will probably add a resistor to keep the speed down, and not burn out the motor. :) I am trying to find my gear puller to remove the worm gear off the old motor, looks like the new one has the same diameter shaft, although a bit shorter. Should work OK, though. I've already modified the chassis of the Trackster, it should take this new can motor OK. It was only $4. It is worlds better than the original motor. I hope this works, would be awesome to get this DCCed with an N gauge Decoder, and run it at shows. Will keep plugging away at it.

Jerry

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 16 2013 :  07:30:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Jerry,
Word from the wise. that motor, you bought at Radio Shack. go buy ALL of them that that local store has.. they have been discontinued! Radio Shack has become lame for electric parts. as they carry all pre-made stuff now......I used to buy my 12 VDC motors from there for $4.00 each, with good power, great speed, and a reasonable price....these same motors, have been gone from their product line for over 10 years now1 AND they have discontinued the whole motor line all together!!!!!

~John

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 17 2013 :  09:26:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry,
Word from the wise. that motor, you bought at Radio Shack. go buy ALL of them that that local store has.. they have been discontinued!
Originally posted by EM-1 - August 16 2013 :  07:30:42 AM

Well, if this project works, I'll be sucking up more of those little 9 volt motors for sure! I"m sure I can find more surplus online, but I just wanted something I could get my hands on quickly! My main problem now is getting the brass worm gear off the old Trackster motor without damaging it, as it's 2mm size, and that is TINY. I have a small press, but that pin broke last night, it was so stuck. I will take it to work and see if I can use our professional grade presses and find a tiny punch in the tooling bin to fit.

I modified the Jeepster chassis with a Dremel, had to remove most of the original rear motor hold-down plastic as the new motor is slightly longer. I "think" this is going to work, I hope so, this motor runs very smoothly, and should make the old Trackster a more viable operating accessory.

Jerry

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 17 2013 :  8:59:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, I went on a 2nd job interview today, and also went by work to try to get this worm gear off the Bachmann motor shaft with some professional presses. I found my good Pinion removal tool friday night thankfully, in my Project tray, with the steel plate, and with that and a good piece of tooling, I was able to finally remove the worm gear. Fits like a glove on the Radio Shack motor!, Shaft is shorter, but I don't think it's gonna budge anyway, it's at least half-way on. Next step is more chassis plastic mods, I have to remove a plastic shoulder to move the motor backwards more to center on top of the axle gear. Once that is done, I can set the motor in place permanently. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have this thing running and operating on the track. I think the major hassle is over, the gear switch. Now it's just fitment, placement, and wiring. Here's a few pictures of the pieces as they are now.

Jerry

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 18 2013 :  10:29:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerrry, as I was reading through this I was thinking of recommending that very puller, lol. I don't have one yet, but I've been considering one because they look much sturdier than my NWSL pullers. The seller I asked said the max. diameter they can accommodate is 10mm. Would you recommend it?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 20 2013 :  8:26:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Jerrry, as I was reading through this I was thinking of recommending that very puller, lol. Would you recommend it?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - August 18 2013 :  10:29:27 PM

Well, it's better than just about anything on the market I've seen, but the steel in the press pin is weak, it broke when I was trying to press the shaft out. However that tapered plate is a MUST HAVE to get behind the gear, worm or otherwise, as that is GOOD steel! Cost me $35 I think for the whole tool, and worth it, as I had to use that plate, and a professional grade press pin to get the worm off the shaft. I just put the plate and motor on a vise, and used a hammer and a good steel press pin insert bit to drive the motor off the worm gear. I also bought a "battery terminal" type gear puller , but the arm teeth are not angled correctly and will slip off the gears, and can damage the teeth, which is why I like this slide-plate type, it can't move once it's in the groove, and it's flat, so it sits flush behind the gear. the press bits are the weakness, but the plate is a must-have. No one else makes it quite like this one. I'd recommend it despite the pin breakage.

Jerry

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 20 2013 :  9:26:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Now that you mention it, I see the busted press pin. They're available on eBay for as little $17 w/ free shipping, so I'll probably spring for one. I just hope the pin lasts. As you said, the backing plate is almost the most important part and can be used across a vise, or even as an insert for one of the NWSL pullers. Why NWSL uses a flexible aluminum box with a soft steel backing plate is beyond me.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 21 2013 :  03:49:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Not to make you guys sick......

I actually machine made my own version of that same sort of puller, AND press! Thing is, that pin.....ought to have been made out of something strong, I choose to use gun barrel steel.....Hardened, and awe-fully stiff..... was a bugger to machine tho, but I got it, BUT, I did NOT machine this, in my own shop........I made this tool about 6 or 7 years ago, in a place I worked at lunch time, when I was painting logging equipment......I made a lot of tools for my own shop, in that shop too.......And it didn't cost me a small fortune to do it either......Although, $35, for that pictured press is a good price, and it looks to be a really good tool, and well made, otherwise, who makes that tool Jerry? Not sure I know of that one as I may even invest in another one in the future as I'm not sure ole "HMC" will allow me to use their metal shop at lunch time anymore Altho, with George, (my ole supervisor), may let me LOL, you never know with him!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 22 2013 :  05:22:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Actually I think that's called the V plate, and the ones included with the NWSL pullers are pathetically soft. You might as well cut a V into a slice of American cheese and try to brace a gear against that.

I know plenty of guys have made a new puller frame by cutting off a section of square steel tubing, giving it much greater rigidity. Of late I just clamp the puller in my machine vise to keep the box from flexing.

The Tyco Depot

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - August 25 2013 :  09:29:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Hey, if you still want a Conrail pickup I found one this morning at the flea market. Nice shape, looks like new, no box though. Shoot me a PM.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

daibhidh
Switcher

Posted - January 29 2018 :  06:41:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add daibhidh to Buddylist
Hi folks. I live in the UK and have a couple of these that my uncle gave me, but they don't work (one has broken wheels, the other has a suspect motor). It's extremely hard to to find these here as they were never originally sold in the UK, so I can't source replacements. I know its an absolute long shot, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any that you don't need and would be willing to sell? No pressure if you don't, but I thought I'd ask. Thank you. Very best wishes :)

quote:
quote:
I have to say tho, I don't think I have EVER seen one of them, in a hobby shop for sale, in my entire life!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 13 2013 :  02:09:59 AM

I imagine that the shops didn't stock them, due to price almost as much as a small engine, and that they WERE crappy running things, so they didn't sell well. I don't recall seeing them either, but that was 40 years ago....

Anyway, I DID buy a lot of about 120 of the original Trackster Jeepsters and vans some years ago, and discovered that if you changed out the front plastic pair of wheels with some of the brass pick-up wheels from the rear of another, they DO tend to run better! I want to add electrical pickups to the front wheels as well, to see how much that improves them, which I'm sure will be 100% LOL! The plastic wheels were often off-center on the axle, they seemed to have been heat-melted together, and if they got the center part off-line with the flanged piece, it would make the Jeepster bob up and down the track. Pretty sorrowful design issues with these things. I think I paid $88 plus shipping for them all, so it gives me a LOT of material to work with for years. And I guess I can fix up a few and sell them eventually, too. Anyhow, they're still a neat powered item, and the new ones are definitely worlds better than the old originals were as far as running. I just think the price is too high for most people to want to invest in one now, no matter how well-made, but after seeing that yellow pick-up DCC'ed and running around the modular layout, I'm will to spend the money and get an N gauge Decoder to get one working, probably the Jeepster (new version ). Just for the wow factor.

Jerry

Below is the amount of Tracksters I bought in a lot off Ebay.

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - August 13 2013 :  07:50:59 AM

Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: January 29 2018  ~  Last Visit: January 29 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - January 29 2018 :  8:35:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Not this $80++ DCC thing

Originally posted by microbusss - August 04 2013 :  8:37:30 PM

I have the BN track inspection truck in its box, looking to get rid of it, shoot me an offer in a PM?

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 09 2018 :  6:52:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A little late to this party, but the end of this video has a Bachmann hi railer
doing the deal. I wouldn't want to push it, but so far it has functioned
rather well.
https://youtu.be/MCTotVdXUg4
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann FT locomotive - NEWER DC version Q''s? Topic Next Topic: When Model Power ripped off Bachmann...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 3.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000