Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Seeking instructions Cary shell for Athearn
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: GP9 electrical contact problems Topic Next Topic: refit old Athearn F unit with brass bearings  

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - June 25 2013 :  10:25:59 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
I'm looking for a copy of instructions for securing Cary F7 A & B shells to Athearn frame. Thanks and good health! ottb
Edited by - offtrackthoroughbred on June 25 2013 10:26:52 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 25 2013 :  10:32:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi offtrackthoroughbred,are you sure you did not mean f3 ken

http://www.hoseeker.net/CareyInformation/carycatalog1983page02.jpg

Edited by - catfordken on June 25 2013 10:33:19 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - June 25 2013 :  12:41:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Offtrack,
I have a couple of Cary FTs on Athearn Blue Box chassis. They were built when the only FTs were the AHM short nose models, and the Brass units. They are real stump pullers. I ran them a lot back then. The only problem I had was the split axle gears would fail a lot sooner than a regular plastic body super F7. I now run Bachmann and Stewart units. Just FYI
Regards, John *********************************************************************

Formula for success: Rise early, work hard, strike oil. <> J. Paul Getty
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 25 2013 :  5:46:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I have to agree with JRG! I got a Fairbanks-Morce H10-44 that's on an Athearn blue box SW-7 frame, and it would pull stumps! I use it at the club to haul 3 track cleaners around all coupled together at the same time and a few passes on it cleans the track well, BUT I was worried that it make the 2% grade.....Without slipping a wheel as there is a lot of drag on running 3 of the cleaners at once!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - June 25 2013 :  11:05:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
The Cary shells are F3 A B B; the Athearn chasis are F7. The instruction sheets went missing. I have "afixed" Athearn F7 power chassis to die-cast Varney F? units by drilling holes in the chassis aligned to epoxy 2-56 threaded offsets inside the shells. But I presume there is a more elegant way to mount the Cary F3 shells. I have several Cary shell projects going ( no time to work on any of them; multi-year projects ); a FM H-10-44, a SW-?, E?A & B. I want all powered; damn the power-pack: full speed ahead! The Athearn chassis are plentiful (but not so cheap as they once were) so I'm not too concerned about the running gear as much as work put into shell cosmetics. The Cary SW? shells have engineered methods for mounting to the frame; The FM H-10-44 needs some help to stretch distance between front and rear trucks of an Athearn SW chassis. The E? units are on the back burner; I may use ModelPower, which fits well, or newer LifeLike chassis which will need some "grind to fit" work and I hope my foam layout base does not crush.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 26 2013 :  03:47:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
offtrackthoroughbred,

Well on the Cary shells, you might have a few of the following:

Fairbanks-Morse H10-44 OR H12-44, can be used for both!
EMD E-6 to E-8 A & B units were made.
EMD SW-1500 Mounts to a Athearn SW-7 frame.
EMD FT A & B units mounts to Athearn F-7 frames.

With these to date, I have built a H10-44, an a ALCO S-2, AND I have yet to build a SW-1500.....

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brassman
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  6:28:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brassman to Buddylist
What are my chances of using my Athearn SD40 chassis for an Athearn PA-1 shell ? I know some work will be necessary, but is there anything that positively keeps this from happening?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11  ~  Member Since: March 29 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 04 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:32:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Is there some reason you don't just use a PA chassis?
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - March 29 2015 :  9:08:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
My first step would be to go to TrainWeb and find line drawings of the two engines. Put those line drawings into MS Paint and compare the wheel bases. I usually download the drawings {right click and copy} and cut and paste side views in paint so I can compare the wheel bases. Drawings need to be the same scale.

Note: All models are not built to scale!

Regards, John

Before running a friend's locomotive, locate the nearest door, and have an escape plan if anything goes wrong. <> Junior
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 31 2015 :  12:57:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
About zero, and so much work when PA chassis can be so readily had I don't know why anyone would bother. The SD40 truck spacing is way off for the PA, the sideframes are wrong, they don't swap back and forth.....

I just sold an unpowered PA for $20 a few weeks back. I see them fairly often for not a lot of money.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: GP9 electrical contact problems Topic Next Topic: refit old Athearn F unit with brass bearings  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000