Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Athearn 0-6-0 and 0-4-2T
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: fallen flags Topic Next Topic: A seriously detailed Athearn GP40-2 in Chessie.  

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 28 2013 :  9:09:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist

Athearn 0-6-0 and 0-4-2T Lil' Monster. And, they were monsters. Probably one of the worst engines I ever had. This one is recent (to me), the third. I have bits of the other two from new.
There were two distinct versions, at least, drivers and frames were different. One had small axles in small frame slots, the other had what looked like floating bearings on the axles with BIG frame slots. I have enough frame bits to prove it, anyway.
They waddled...the axles were never tight in the frames...gearing...and of course the motors.
But, I had to have one after I got the 0-6-0.
I have a 4-6-2 tender and one tender truck, someday I'll find the rest and have all three of the Athearn attempt at steam.
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator 

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - April 29 2013 :  12:54:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The 0-6-0 almost always has a broken main gear. I have one gear I found someone must have reamed a bit before installing that is intact.

It's the hardest of the three to find. The Pacific is not too bad to find but hard to find intact - and I have one example of a frame that is warped from zincpest so there's that to watch for too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  12:32:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
The 0-6-0 gears checked out fine...other than digging out the concreted grease!
Had my share of Zamac Rot over the last 60 years.
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  3:45:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
I agree - the 0-6-0 having had the shortest production life (3 years) is by far the hardest of the 3 to find. I got one (pictured in an earlier thread) for 10 bucks last year at a train show and it was near mint other than the clip under the cab being busted and I reglued that. The "Little Monster" is tough to get with all of its numerous parts intact.

Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  3:50:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
My 0-6-0 was one that came in 4 big boxes of stuff for exactly the price I could afford.
Free.
Cleaned the godawful paint off it, and that's what I have!
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  7:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
Indeed a nice freebie. I give ol Irv props - his 3 steamers had very nice tooling for early 60's technology. The 0-6-0 looks as good as brass next to his GP30.

Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 22 2014 :  4:42:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Athearn 0-6-0 and 0-4-2T Lil' Monster. And, they were monsters. Probably one of the worst engines I ever had. This one is recent (to me), the third. I have bits of the other two from new.
There were two distinct versions, at least, drivers and frames were different. One had small axles in small frame slots, the other had what looked like floating bearings on the axles with BIG frame slots. I have enough frame bits to prove it, anyway.
They waddled...the axles were never tight in the frames...gearing...and of course the motors.
But, I had to have one after I got the 0-6-0.
I have a 4-6-2 tender and one tender truck, someday I'll find the rest and have all three of the Athearn attempt at steam.
Dave

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - April 28 2013 :  9:09:33 PM

I've seen the 0-6-0 at a train show once.It was in very poor condition though. It was missing a ton of parts, the thing was just mangled.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: fallen flags Topic Next Topic: A seriously detailed Athearn GP40-2 in Chessie.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000