Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What HO track do you use?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Favorite Tyco Steamer? Topic Next Topic: What layout should I build?  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 03 2013 :  9:36:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
This I thought would be an interesting poll here.
On my layout, I mostly use a mix of Atlas Code-100 and Code-83 track (some of it is True-Track, mainly at one end.) However, one of my spurs switches to Power-Loc track, so I don't let my old track from when I started the layout go to waste, and I also used Power-Loc adapter tracks so I could set up my Life-Like dual crossing gate as well.

Choices:

Atlas Code-100 Snap-track
Atlas Code-83/True Track
Both Atlas Code-100 and -83
MTH ScaleTrax/RealTrax
Kato Unitrack
Bachmann E-Z track
Life-Like Power-Loc track
Model Power track
Tyco track
Other/combined

(Anonymous Vote)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 04 2013 :  12:16:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
When I finally build a layout it will be a combination of Atlas, Tyco, Life Like, and Bachman sectional track, and Atlas and Life Like flex track, with primarily Atlas turnouts, along with one AHM three-way turnout, all brass. That's what I have stockpiled. The brass started with a gift of flex track from my wife's sister, so you know I darn well better use it!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - April 04 2013 :  12:20:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Glen, there isn't a thing wrong with brass track. It works just fine with a little routine maintenance.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 05 2013 :  12:30:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Glen, there isn't a thing wrong with brass track. It works just fine with a little routine maintenance.

Originally posted by rbturner - April 04 2013 :  12:20:44 PM

Oh, I wasn't worried about it, just hoping to keep the naysaying to a minimum! Besides, it's cheap and plentiful, and I won't have to paint the rail sides brown. I do wish to show my appreciation for my sis-in-law's gift too!

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - April 06 2013 :  02:12:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I use:
Tyco Brass & Steel
Bachmann Brass & Steel with and without plastic roadbed
Atlas Brass & Nickel Silver
AHM Brass & Steel
Model Power Brass & Steel
PECO Brass & Nickel Silver
Shinohara
Tri-Ang
Tru-Line
And some other Japan based track & switches

There needs to be another Poll Choice/Multiple Choice/
I use both flexible AND snap-track, Switches, Rerailers, Crossings/Diamonds

All my track is Code 100

I have no Kato Track

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on April 06 2013 02:13:29 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR_Tyco
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 16 2013 :  6:34:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR_Tyco to Buddylist
So far on my layout I have,

Atlas Brass
Atlas Nickel Silver
Tyco Brass

All turn outs are atlas. I will be using flex track on the mainline curves, but I am currently building the yard section. It is all code 100. I use primarily brass track as I bought a ton of it at a show for really cheap, but I do have some steel and nickel silver mixed in. I like the brass track better because of it's color and I don't have any issues with keeping it clean etc. It is also very plentiful used which is a plus!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: March 23 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - April 19 2013 :  9:43:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I use all code 100. Atlas flex and Peco turnouts. I have a few Walthers and Atlas turnouts also but not many.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  6:29:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
My last H0 layout (s) used only TruScale, which you don't list.
Had my brother not left the layout and track in the shed when he left his last job and brought it all back, that's what I'd have now.
I do have a plethora of old Atlas snap track in boxes, should the desire to lay more track ever hit me up the side of the head again!
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Jeepman
Little Six

GreatNorthernAvatar

Posted - April 30 2013 :  5:02:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jeepman to Buddylist
I've mailnly been using the Bachmann Ez track. I buy it used at the local hobby shop and at rummages. I have a plan to use my old brass track, and that's for my display shelf when I get time to build it. With another Daughter coming at the end of June I may be short on time.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 133  ~  Member Since: January 30 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - April 30 2013 :  5:35:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
My layout's mainline started out with a mixture Shinohara and Atlas code 83, but about halfway through I switched to Atlas code 100. There is a bit of handlaid code 83, a small yard with code 70, and I also used Bachmann EZ-track 26-inch radius in a tunnel.

I'm happiest with Atlas code 83 and 100. It performs the best.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - October 17 2013 :  4:02:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist
If you want economy track, Atlas Snap Track ans switches, and some other brands, are available at train shows and elsewhere almost for the asking. No complaints here, I never had the problems it was supposed to cause when I used it in my early layout days.
RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 17 2013 :  5:44:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I should have voted "other/Combined" and didn't see it but Atlas code 100 is about right.....I use all code 100 BUT WAS thinking of code 83 on certain spurs and such. JUST for added realism.

BUT I think that's going to limit only a few loco's from using that track area. WHY I only want some for such as they will be for freight cars only and no loco's in there....

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 17 2013 :  7:10:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The bulk of my track is Snap Track with a smattering of Custom Line and a little old AHM track that's pretty much a clone of atlas. All of it's code 100. It's a mix of brass and Nickel Silver, and I can detect no real difference in terms of what gives more trouble.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 17 2013 :  7:32:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I'm planning on using all Atlas track, silver code 100. I do need to see what all Atlas offers though...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 17 2013 :  8:21:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
My old layout used all Atlas code 100 track. My new layout only has....TRU-STEEL track by Tyco!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 17 2013 :  10:07:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I will use the EZ track
atm trying to rid myself of the brass track I has
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 29 2013 :  5:59:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
My layout that doesn't exist and probably never will uses Atlas code 83, but in the meantime I keep a box of EZtrack to set up the "Carpet Central" when the notion strikes me (but only if I've cleaned my room, which also means never.) Got about a file-box's worth of old tyco tru-steel and brass track of god only knows how many kinds that I'll get rid of eventually.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 30 2013 :  7:22:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Atlas code 100. I like being able to run the old stuff with the deep flanges if I want to, and although many disagree, I think it looks plenty prototypical.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 03 2014 :  10:49:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Does Atlas make 26 or 28 radius track? If not, who makes it ?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - January 03 2014 :  3:43:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Does Atlas make 26 or 28 radius track? If not, who makes it ?

Originally posted by walt - January 03 2014 :  10:49:14 AM

Not that I am aware of Walt - but personally I would go with flex track, especially with those larger radii.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 03 2014 :  5:20:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Walt, Bachmann makes 26-inch radius in their E-Z track line, as well as 33-inch and 35-inch.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EZ-Track-26-Radius-Curve-p/bac-44519.htm

I used the 26-inch radius for a portion in a tunnel on my layout and it works well, but the rest of my layout is flex track.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 04 2014 :  09:25:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Huh, I don't see where I posted here, but I must have voted, 'cause I can't vote anymore. Anyway, I have and use most any kind of HO track, depending on the situation. As follows :

For test track, I use flex, brass, nickel-steel, E-Z, Power-Lok, Playart, Gilbert, Marklin 3-rail, you name it.

For my outdoor hot tub railroading, or temp circles, I use EZ track or Power Lok.

For my future Tyco Turbo Train, I'll use the original Tyco steel track

for display purposes, any brass track I have ( which is lots of it ), or flex track

So I generally use what's at hand and depending on the situation I use certain kinds of track. My 36" flex-track Code 100 I use to make HO modules, or planning to, so that's about the only place it get's used, some display use occasionally.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 04 2014 :  10:12:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
AMC - If you view the poll results before voting, you lose the ability to vote. I had that happen a couple of times before I figured it out!
Glenn

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 04 2014 :  1:05:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The poll was last April. You probably did already vote.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 04 2014 :  10:17:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
AMC - If you view the poll results before voting, you lose the ability to vote. I had that happen a couple of times before I figured it out!

Originally posted by gmoney - January 04 2014 :  10:12:37 AM

Huh, didn't know that. No peeking rule?

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 05 2014 :  12:24:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have found some new Atlas 22 & 24 radius track in the silver code 100 with black ties. This does not have the roadbed which is what I plan to use. I'd like to use total Atlas NS 100/ black if possible, along with the cork roadbed, unless there's better roadbed I'm unaware of...

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2014 :  10:50:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
.........unless there's better roadbed I'm unaware of...

Originally posted by walt - January 05 2014 :  12:24:34 AM

cork is OK, can't really go wrong with it. I tried the WS foam roadbed on the last layout and liked it a better.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 05 2014 :  12:18:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
May go with the foam then, Jerry. This part is all new to me.
Edited by - walt on January 15 2014 09:49:11 AM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 05 2014 :  1:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I've tried both the cork and the foam roadbed. There really isn't much difference between the two. I think I prefer cork just because it's a little more solid, but if I was forced to use foam roadbed for the rest of my life I'd be ok with it.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2014 :  08:15:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
My thoughts on track---I generally use Atlas code 100 nickel for my "oval" layout, as it is dependable and will take some of the "toy train" flanges I've collected. However, one of the greatest inventions ever---Atlas's 22 inch radius snap switch--has been installed on one of my curves. Unfortunately, it only comes in code 83, but I've used the transition rail joiners, and have had no problems. On my shelf switching layout, I use Peco flex track and Peco power-routing switches. With these switches, I can control all of the electrical blocks, eliminating the need to wire anything except a couple of strategically-based feeder wires. I'll try to post a pic of that layout later, and show what I've done in a space of six feet by 8 inches.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Favorite Tyco Steamer? Topic Next Topic: What layout should I build?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000