Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 The (Mis)Adventures of Bach-Man!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Reading RR 2-8-0  Topic Next Topic: Vintage Bachmann Sears-exclusive train set  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 18 2013 :  10:51:32 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I'm sure anyone who purchased a Bachmann train set in the late 1980s or early 1990s will recognize this. As one way for them to try and step ahead of the competition at the time (I think Tyco was their biggest rival during the 1980s), Bachmann had a clever means of an instruction manual, done as a comic book; this way kids could also easily get into model railroading, and there's lots for them to get into. This may have also been the debut appearance of their Brawny-esque mascot, the Bach Man!

OK, so the story opens on a stereotypical "perfect" comic family (complete with a pet dog that thinks his own thoughts ala Snoopy and Garfield!), purchasing a Bachmann train set...

See what I mean by the family? The "boxcar full of cookies" reminds me of how they sometimes did that with the model trains on Gumby.
Though the scaling isn't entirely accurate, I think they are supposed to be trying to set up an HO-scale train set here, probably one of Bachmann's "starter" sets that just has the engine, a few freight cars and caboose, and a circle or small oval of track: no other accessories or whatever.

Of course, the family is initially baffled by their attempts to get the trains going, even the father! I do find the boy's "Is that IT?" reaction amusing, as if he feels they were ripped off.

LOL at "No! Rugs are trouble." That's the case when using standard model railroad track, and this was before Bachmann developed roadbed track in 1994 with their own (admittedly crummy) "E-Z Track." I know back then, the only other option for playing with the trains on a floor was the Tycoscene layout board, but then again, this was still the 1980s, and I still prefer running my trains on my 4x8 sheet of plywood, even if I use roadbed track!

Even though Bachmann still offers a curved E-Z track terminal rerailer, their sets now come with a straight terminal rerailer section instead. Also note the track in this looks like it's brass, though I think by the late 1980s all of Bachmann's train sets came with steel track...

LOL at the "All the other cars" sign.

Even though I use a more advanced MRC Tech 4 280 power pack on my train layout with an on/off switch, I still unplug it when my trains are not in use anyway.

Bachmann also still offers many of those accessories mentioned, including many of those Plasticville building kids that have been available since the 1950s! Unfortunately they still also have a few crummy "action/operating" accessories like that "diesel horn in oil tank" thing, which sells for $40. (Come on, a plastic oil tank containing a buzzer that sounds like a 1980s smoke alarm should be only four bucks!)

Hmm, this is giving me an idea for a game. Make your own train set instruction manual comic, but for different manufacturers! (I wonder what one by Tyco would have been like...)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 21 2013 :  11:08:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
wiley,
Cool post, thanx. I've never seen one of these. The art work and genre is interesting.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 21 2013 :  12:54:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
This is the comic that came in my Golden Spike set
Mine did not have the Golden Spike boxcar tho
I don't believe this comic is worth very much these days

Boxcar full of cookies could be a reference to that Rio Grande Cookie Box boxcar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 29 2013 :  3:22:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Done in the days before the gummint decided sharp objects should be kept away from children....like the xacto knife across the tracks.
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 06 2020 :  2:27:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

A good idea to get children of all ages into the hobby.

And children back in the hobby after decades of absence.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2020 :  3:45:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very interesting archival piece. I never knew about it back in the day.
A very good format for younger people, although in today's world guys
like Eric the Train Fan and Blaxland are half way to being computer
engineers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 06 2020 :  5:55:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
that is a very fun comic book
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 07 2020 :  07:09:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
neat!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann Reading RR 2-8-0  Topic Next Topic: Vintage Bachmann Sears-exclusive train set  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000