Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 New Pigs!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Track code 83 Topic Next Topic: While the camera is out..  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - August 31 2012 :  8:45:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I'm sure several people here saw these... I had my doubts, and asked questions, but nonetheless had to take the plunge, erp.

I'm glad I did: I pretty much feel 98% assured it IS a legit (and obviously incredibly rare!) Tyco-made promo item!

The "faint Santa Fe markings" the seller referred to almost gave me pause, but then I realized something, and they're more mysterious than ever. For starters, they are only on *just one* of the trailers - the other trailer is 100% pure unused plain white underneath.

But about that ex-Santa Fe one... note the rib on the roof... I have never seen that version of the trailer in Santa Fe paint!! I wonder if Tyco ran some then held them back - so as not to confuse the ones that were compatible with the overhead-style loader, since the previous 10 years' worth of Santa Fes were not - and later stripped them for promo use? Or do I need to be hunting for Santa Fes with the roof rib after all (I did for about a year or so but finally gave up)?!

The black markings are paint/ink which can be scratched off, consistent with the type and style of other Tyco decoration, while the R&H beaker logo might be a decal, or thick paint. It's bubbled in the same places on each application like it would be from a paint stamp, but has chipped off in spots like a decal might (I touched this up... I should try to mix a better color-match).

Also worth noting is most of Tyco's small-batch (rare) promos were decorated in the Woodbury plant, and often had a local connection. Rohm & Haas was headquartered in nearby Philadelphia. The seller got them from a yardsale lot in New Jersey.

Pretty excited about this one. Wonder if I need to have another Trailer-Jet run through... ;)

Edited by - spiderj76 on August 31 2012 8:55:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 31 2012 :  8:48:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very nice This will make shaygetz jealous & wanting one
Well this is a way to use extra trailers Just put on another name
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - August 31 2012 :  10:12:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Cool, nice looking trailers...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 01 2012 :  10:07:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
A very nice find. I got interested in the piggy back cars because you brought them to my attention with your trailer jet post.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - September 02 2012 :  08:21:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Awesome Tony - Cool too - Keeping Tyco on the Tyco forum
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - September 02 2012 :  2:47:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Wow Tony, that really isa a sharp looking car! Did the seller have anything else with this that might lead to a year it was made? Better still, do they have anything else exciting like this?

Sam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

detroitterminal
Switcher

Posted - October 06 2012 :  3:03:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add detroitterminal to Buddylist
Congratulations! I lost out to you on the bidding. With the "lip" overhanging on the side of the roof, doesn't that date the model as a later-made item. (I believe an accessory item that lifted the trailers was introduced in the early-late 1970's, making the extension necessary.) Although the brake wheel on the car would make me think earlier...
Edited by - detroitterminal on October 06 2012 3:04:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: March 14 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - October 06 2012 :  7:37:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
i studied the pics and i can't see anything that you are talking about as i was trying to get educated for future purchases

The "faint Santa Fe markings"

note the rib on the roof.

The black markings are paint/ink which can be scratched off,

R&H beaker logo

maybe the pics are lacking detail
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - October 07 2012 :  09:19:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Compare the first picture with this one:

You'll see the differences.

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 01 2021 :  5:42:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I am sure several people here saw these.
I had my doubts and asked questions but had to take the plunge.
I feel 98% assured it is a legit and incredibly rare Tyco made promo item.

The faint Santa Fe markings the seller referred to almost gave me pause.
Then I realized something and they are more mysterious than ever.
For starters they are only on just one of the trailers.
The other trailer is 100% pure unused plain white underneath.

But about that ex Santa Fe one. Note the rib on the roof.
I have never seen that version of the trailer in Santa Fe paint.
I wonder if Tyco ran some then and later held them back.

Pretty excited about this one. Wonder if I need to have another Trailer Jet run through."

Originally posted by spider 76 on August 31 2012.

Another car to look for in your ever growing collections.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 03 2021 :  11:07:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I've looked on ebay nightly in Tyco for 22 years and I have never seen any of these other then is pair. The rib is for the piggyback set that picks them up off the flat car. I don't think I would buy them even cheap. They just dont fit in...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - November 06 2021 :  1:21:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I found the Rohm &Haas trailer flat car about a year ago on ebay. I also found a Tyco made box car that looks like it was part of the promotional set. I have 2 of the box cars.

Edited by - eaglerock109 on November 06 2021 1:23:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 06 2021 :  2:34:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 06 2021 :  7:16:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
these'd go great with that AHM Warp's Plastics hopper car hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 06 2021 :  9:03:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Definitely rare ones, for sure. I've never seen any cars like those before....ever...
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Track code 83 Topic Next Topic: While the camera is out..  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000