Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 A seriously detailed Athearn GP40-2 in Chessie.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn 0-6-0 and 0-4-2T Topic Next Topic: 50'' Gondola Canister Load  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 19 2012 :  12:23:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Guys,
Well as I'm posting pictures, I thought, I made a posting on "My most detailed locomotive" And as I got to thinking of it, I have ANOTHER ONE!

So, I got the Athearn Limited Edition GP40-2, in Chessie System GM50, that came with a matching bay window caboose....

Alot of work went into this one, grab irons as normal, life rings as I have them, all the pilot details, even one of my own Chessie "Rock Pilot" plows, and a side mounted bell, all painted in matching gold paint! AND, not dullcoted! (It looks GREAT shinny like that..........THEE only locomotive in my diesel roaster thats shinny and not flat finished......

ENJOY!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - August 22 2012 :  11:30:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Nice work... I have the same Athearn SE loco without the caboose, but I have yet to superfetail it. I have, however, detailed a few Chessie locos: an Athearn B&O GP40-2, and a Walthers GP15-T are the standouts. I like how yours turned out. I read in the guide to Chessie locomotives that GM50 was repainted 3 times in that scheme, with slight variances in each. I liked the one with the tri-color gladhands.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 23 2012 :  05:55:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thanks Tony! That model is difficult to come by these days and those who have them (like myself) aren't likely to get rid of it any time soon, and those that have one up for sale goes for a good price!

As for the Chessie System,, yes, they did repaint that locomotive multiple times as I believe EMD wanted to keep it looking "fresh" out of the shop so......Was a good looking unit as I had seen it multiple times way before I ever got a chance to have a camera! So, I never got real pictures of it but I have seen it way back when alot.....Was a gorgeous paint job to say the least!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - August 23 2012 :  12:17:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
What color did you use to match the handrails, etc to the factory paint? I think I used Testor's Gold as what I had handy, and it was close... but not quite what yours seems to be.

Do you have pics of the matching caboose?

I love Chessie... one of my primary roads of interest... but one thing that always irked me was that while they had a commemorative loco to honor a private industrial concern, they were the only Class 1 (aside from Rio Grande) who couldn't bother to paint a Bicentennial loco. I've often thought of mocking my own "what if" Chessie Bicentennial... it might happen at some point.

Here's a couple pics of my detailed Chessies...

Walthers GP15-T with numerous details (bell, horn, speedrecorder, pilot, MUs, etc) and paint enhancements (steps, walkways, headlight, turbo hatch, etc) added

So the only image of my B&O/Chessie GP40-2 is more of a cameo, but you get the idea... more of the same as the GP15-T. Plus weathering! That was the first loco I ever detailed... I really should get a better pic. Wow... I can't believe how old this one is

Not Chessie, but same family tree... this is the first loco I ever painted (the details came later). I did this one after sending a question to MR's old "Student Fare" column, they answered (printed) it in 1992.

Edited by - spiderj76 on August 23 2012 12:19:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 23 2012 :  1:23:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
What color did you use to match the handrails, etc to the factory paint? I think I used Testor's Gold as what I had handy, and it was close... but not quite what yours seems to be.

Do you have pics of the matching caboose?

I love Chessie... one of my primary roads of interest... but one thing that always irked me was that while they had a commemorative loco to honor a private industrial concern, they were the only Class 1 (aside from Rio Grande) who couldn't bother to paint a Bicentennial loco. I've often thought of mocking my own "what if" Chessie Bicentennial... it might happen at some point.

Here's a couple pics of my detailed Chessies...

Walthers GP15-T with numerous details (bell, horn, speedrecorder, pilot, MUs, etc) and paint enhancements (steps, walkways, headlight, turbo hatch, etc) added

So the only image of my B&O/Chessie GP40-2 is more of a cameo, but you get the idea... more of the same as the GP15-T. Plus weathering! That was the first loco I ever detailed... I really should get a better pic. Wow... I can't believe how old this one is

Not Chessie, but same family tree... this is the first loco I ever painted (the details came later). I did this one after sending a question to MR's old "Student Fare" column, they answered (printed) it in 1992.

Originally posted by spiderj76 - August 23 2012 :  12:17:51 PM

Tony,
The paint I used for the GM50 was Testors "Gold" just as you did just the locomotive I have is NOT dullcoted or anything and looks as it did when it was new (which it still is!) I normally dullcote EVERYTHING, with exception to this one!

ALL the detail you see on mine, was added by me and painted.

I have 2 of the Walthers GP15T's.. I also have a GP15-1 that isn't Walthers BUT it is a kit that you had to glue all the sides together and came with a what looks to be, modified frame that was an Athearn blue box GP38-2.

The CSX GP40-2 looks GREAT in CSX! I too am doing a "Operation Redblock" in CSX.....I am planning to repaint it as its not correct for the cab number, and then to that it was done up when I got it custom, and does NOT come close to the decal work I do so, I am not happy with it and plan to re-do the decals for that reason!

As for your Chessie collection, I make my own "Rock Pilots" for sale in cast resin, so, if your ever in need, I sell them single unit packages, AND in packs of 6 I believe (Its been awhile since I have sold a 6 pack.....) But good priced too and in trade so......Better then $1.99 each which is the cost from Details West!

I'm also working on making a master copy of the Chessie GE "Rock Pilots" as they are different then those used on the EMD units!

As far as the Bicentennial locomotives, I too have thought of a "what if" for the very same reason, like of like the CSX "1992" For the Presidential Tour for Pres. Clinton

~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - August 26 2012 :  6:59:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
Athearn redid this unit as an RTR model - with the correct Blomberg B trucks (the SE has incorrect Blomberg M trucks). I have an SE one new in the box. They can still be had for a little less than an RTR (if you can find those).

Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - August 27 2012 :  11:13:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Here's a better shot of my Athearn B&O GP40-2 #4200... stock paint job with the whole catalog of superdetailing...

Autoracks are kitbash/scratchbuilt and custom painted too :)

Edited by - spiderj76 on August 27 2012 11:15:12 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 28 2012 :  05:24:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Tony, Again, VERY nice work!

I'd like to see the autoracks up close to see just how/what you did on them!

Ever need those Chessie Rock Pilots, let me know, I have a casting of them and sell in bulk packs! They're also used on Conrail units as well......

~John

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - September 01 2012 :  1:24:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I'll keep that in mind on the rock pilots... I still have a couple left and no further loco detail projects on the bench, but as you know when you get into a project, that can change in a hurry!

The second autorack (enclosed) is an undecorated Overland Brass I bought cheap several years ago, then custom-painted into Chessie. It's pretty much stock and would look like any that might have been factory painted, though I'll never forget realizing the inside and decks were white while the outside frame was yellow... oh, and the perforated panels don't come off. Ugh... that was NOT an easy paint project. But it came out wonderfully! I'll have to get a glamour shot.

As for the open deck version:

An Accurail car kitbashed and custom-painted to match that photo from the Chessie Color Guide. It was even loaded with Ford Granadas, which was the craptastic car I grew up in, so I *had* to have one! Right down to somehow convincing Motor Max to consider the 2-door Granada for its HO Fresh Cherries line

Sides are scratchbuilt from styrene sheet and rod. Probably not 100% dimensionally perfect, but close enough. The flat deck is also different so again, I was working with what was available at the time. Since then you can get the sides pre-made, and the proper flat deck has been made (for like 3 times the price of what I have into this whole project minus the load, sigh).

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 01 2012 :  3:50:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Tony,
That Accurail Autorack looks GREAT! I like how that turned out. I cusatom painted one of the old Bachmann autoracks in much the same way, It looks close, but yours is really close and looks really good, I would say that damn near a 98% replica! Specially from the picture of the real thing to compare it with!

I'll have to get pictures of the one I done, and I have to say your right, the interior of these are a bugger to paint! WOW!

Altho, I think I went the other way as yours is a 3 level I did up a 3 level as well, BUt I think mine was a different class. And I don't recall those being white inside! As I believe they were all yellow (I used the TTX yellow inside and out on mine) AND then used I think it was blue on the "Chessie" plate on the side panel. I'll have to dig mine out and get some pictures, as I haven't had it out in awhile nor have I snapped any pictures of it!

Nice work tho! Keep posting the Chessie stuff, as I'll get more to post of mine as well! I'm always glad to see someone else posting the same railroad as I!

~John

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 06 2014 :  12:30:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Nice work! I especially like those Ford Granadas that you have as a load. I learned how to drive in one of those. It was a 76 model 2 door just like the ones in the pic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 07 2014 :  04:05:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Steven,
What sort of "Chessie" roster you got in cars, or even loco's? I got A LOT..... as well you go looking around here with my name on it you'll see some crazy things, I've done and will resume working on once my shop is back cleaned up.....(expansion construction has caused a mess!)

~John

Previous Topic: Athearn 0-6-0 and 0-4-2T Topic Next Topic: 50'' Gondola Canister Load  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000