Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Winter scene question
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: odd crossing idea Topic Next Topic: Repainting old HO Plasticville Fire House for EFD  

ACL_Hobo
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - March 17 2012 :  9:21:32 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ACL_Hobo to Buddylist
Hi! Anyone have tips on how to create handmade snow for an HO layout?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 30  ~  Member Since: March 08 2012  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2012 Alert Moderator 

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 19 2012 :  01:38:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
baking soda and flour...

do not add water.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - March 19 2012 :  11:53:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Baking soda is a great TEMPORARY snow, it attacks the chrome on car models though...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 19 2012 :  5:57:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I've tried the baking soda method too. It's very hard to stick down permanently though. A misting of glue/water will give it a little bit of hold. Here's a little scene I made a couple of years ago:

http://tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7942
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 19 2012 :  8:33:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Marble dust. #252 by Builders in scale as seen in the Jan 2012 MRC magazine.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ACL_Hobo
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - March 20 2012 :  8:34:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ACL_Hobo to Buddylist
Wow! You folks have some great advice...thanks! All the photos look so good. So, baking soda and flour I believe I can get when my wife's not looking, but the marble dust might be a bit more of a challenge. I think I'll take a poke at a winter scene, maybe this weekend.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 30  ~  Member Since: March 08 2012  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 22 2012 :  7:47:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
SG, who made that rotary? Is it brass?

Cheez, your snow pics still blow me away. I like how you made it look like the snow has blown off the ballast on one side.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 23 2012 :  05:10:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks NP That was actually a dirt path running alongside the tracks. I left the "snow" thin there on purpose so it would show through. I was quite happy how it turned out

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 14 2020 :  7:32:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks NP That was actually a dirt path running alongside the tracks. I left the "snow" thin there on purpose so it would show through. I was quite happy how it turned out

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 23 2012 :  05:10:47 AM

Some hints for your snow layout Jeff.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 14 2020 :  8:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great thread, thanks for the reboot, WKS. BTW, I read that flour
attracts insect life and baking soda turns yellow over time.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - January 03 2021 :  10:09:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
does the glue and water work for flour?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 03 2021 :  10:49:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Eventually, flour, or corn starch, any edible, will attract insects.
Woodland Scenics makes a snow, setting down a wet base of
glue and water works to a degree, found that I had to apply
layers of spray adhesive to hold it down. Still very fragile, but
it's there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: odd crossing idea Topic Next Topic: Repainting old HO Plasticville Fire House for EFD  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000