Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 The Final Batch: Pre-Prod freight cars posted...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Alco C-630 Burlington Prototype Topic Next Topic: TYCO ENGINES AND STOCK FOR SALE  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 10 2012 :  8:03:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I finally got around to the freight cars I obtained, and trust me: if the locos were cool, there are plenty more suprises in store. Big Stuff. GOOD stuff. Documented and indisputable stuff!

Here's a preview...:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110195942_ChromeUnion.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110195922_Dots_PreLeft.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200003_40HC_UPAthVsTyco1.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200021_BO_PreShell.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200037_OldDutch.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200126_ChromeVendor.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200059_GulfPre2.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/spiderj76/20120110200205_NotBad.jpg

Check the full story at http://www.goingincirclez.com/TycoTrains/Guide/Preprods2

Please let me know what you think... and if you have more to add (as I know some of you might...)!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 10 2012 :  10:22:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neat but one pic between the Purina & Dots boxcars did not show
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 10 2012 :  10:38:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
OK, my idea of excited is a little bit different.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 11 2012 :  12:54:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Mine too, Gareth
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 11 2012 :  3:19:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Eh, to each their own. I mean, it can't all be little critters and pup trailers can it?

For me, holding insights to the history and development of a prolific yet defunct company, one that introduced so many of us to this hobby for so many years, IS exciting. And when they made tens of tens of thousands (heck, seemingly "millions") of everything, but you somehow end up with verified one-of-a-kind items and one-offs only seen in catalogs or internal R&D, and obvious tooling mockups and demos... shoot, those odds are as close to hitting the lottery, or working for a train company, as most of us may ever get. THAT's exciting.

Of course, I don't expect everyone to share my enthusiasm. Nonetheless I freely share it when I can, rather than hold the info in seclusion or ransom. If it helps or excites someone else, that's great. So you can poke fun if you like, but remember that anything anybody has posted on this forum is bound to be stupid to someone else, so at least try to be constructive.

Edited by - spiderj76 on January 11 2012 3:23:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 11 2012 :  3:37:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi tony if it was not for people like your good self,where would the next gen get the info,for me you get 10/10 for info and more importantly facts,opinions come cheap ken
Edited by - catfordken on January 11 2012 3:39:18 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 11 2012 :  7:14:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ken;

First off Tony IS the NEXT Gen to you and me!

Tony:

I am TRULY glad you enjoy it. It's whuy I wanted the two Canadian Davenports and the GP20 Dummy Kit to end up in your hands. My `omage to your efforts and enthusiasm.... And so naturally I will be looking forward to your documentation of the above said units.

As to your original thought, Critters and Trailers, OH MY!!! Like kibbles & Bits! Walt & I are just wise beyond our...well beyond something....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on January 11 2012 7:19:45 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 11 2012 :  7:35:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I do see some key differences from the prod. line-up.The 2 hi-cubes have a different shade pf yellow. I don't think a Dutch Cleanser was ever made into a 40' reefer. Only the 55' covered hopper and a 50' plug-door boxcar ( I think ).The Gulf logo seems a little out of place.Wish I could find pre-prod's!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 11 2012 :  9:57:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Enjoyed it Tony! I found it interesting.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - January 11 2012 :  10:44:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Wow! Really cool stuff Tony!

Damion
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - January 11 2012 :  11:08:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Tony,

In your article about these cars, at the end you mention "this collection". Is this the same one that went up on ebay a year or so back? Did you get these cars from that same guy out east, or someone else? Like you, I couldn't afford to bid on it all either, but I have a couple of interesting items from that guy.

Damion
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 12 2012 :  05:02:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Gareth,but he's not the next gen to his self, that's the ones who matter most,and to whom i was referring,,they may have there digital talking trains,but i think we were lucky enough to get enough fun using our imagination,i hear the 5.30 express coming in my head as I type,ken
Edited by - catfordken on January 12 2012 10:15:35 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 12 2012 :  10:00:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Hi Damion,

Yes, most of it is the same collection that was parted out. I noticed a few recurring bidders on some of the listings I didn't chase, and hoped it would stay within earshot so to speak. Until I got a few of these in hand I wasn't convinced of their legitimacy... but considering some of the unfortunate lot groupings and key items I really wanted, I couldn't get them all. It was hard to tell which freight cars were different, and I got lucky waiting for the price to come down on some lots, but I gunned for the obvious stuff. Someone gorilla-bid the hand-painted Wonder Woman which disappointed me as I'd wanted to give that to my dad (he's a huge DC comics buff).

FWIW, I don't know what happened to the rest of it. The final listings that went unsold were never relisted after Labor Day, and there was maybe one or two more I might have picked up. He also had about 75 cabeese he tried to privately sell me in one lot, but wanted waaaaaaay too much money for them and was not willing to deal so I let them all go (he was not willing to break up the group, he knew there was a lot of junk). Yet those have never turned up either. I imagine they've gone to Allentown or Timonium, if anywhere... or someone else got them after me.

The Gulf tri-dome was an eagle-eyed catch I caught lurking in a random lot from another seller around Halloween, which also had some interesting stuff. I also have a Rock Island E7 I purchased 5 years ago that bears many similar traits of these pre-prods, and was the source of my original skepticism regarding these items. The previous owner was not very responsive to inquiries which didn't help.

Anyway, I'd love to see which ones you ended up with and how they compare...!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 13 2012 :  12:03:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
Eh, to each their own. I mean, it can't all be little critters and pup trailers can it?
Originally posted by spiderj76 - January 11 2012 :  3:19:44 PM

Critters, really?, , REALLY? I mean it all can't be the model train hobby in general , ...at least not for me.

I like music and playing drums, but I don't want to know the history of Polka.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my Tyco and related train pieces, but my real love is the automobile industry in general. It has provided me with a VERY nice living along with a great hobby... Be it an old original restore or a newer custom mini...or a new one that's been hit. To me it's the greatest work ever, if we can even call it work. Where else can a guy like me make $44 -$68 an hour? No where. There's never gonna be time for me to wonder why a $5 train car comes in 3 different shades of blue...

So the automobile will remain my true passion and my main hobby. The Tyco trains is , one of my hobbies.

I hope I was not unclear...

Walt

Edited by - walt on January 14 2012 8:26:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - January 14 2012 :  11:24:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
It sounds like Tony and I have similar tastes.

I too was a skeptic of his collection at first. Did anyone see his first auction that included everything he had, including a Tyco delaer display layout? I recall it was up to $8k and didn't meet the reserve price, so he started selling in lots. I also emailed him asking to buy this and that. He was from New England (IIRC), and told me he'd be at a number of slot car shows. One was about two hours from me. He had a Tyco dealer display for locomotives that I've been lusting after for some time. I was going to meet him (he wouldn't ship it) and pay his high price for it, but then he emailed back saying he had sold all trains he had left. Bummer.

I've noticed that he (his name escapes me) already listed pictures here awhile back of many of the items I have from him. As Tony shows on his site, some are only lettered on one side. I'll have to unpack mine and post some pictures. One item I wonder about is a black/dark green Pennsy GG1 with no stripes and the name spelled out in what looks like the same pattern and spacing as the regular production silver GG1. I dont have the silver version (yet) to compare it to side by side, but from ebay pictures, it suuuuure looks close. I dont get how Tyco could've changed the lettering color from production black, to gold on this one. I've also got a small 241-type Plymoth switcher in PC green plastic, but it HAD white tape around the frame and a large PC logo decal on the cab. Most of this has fallen off. Maybe any HO modeler of the era did this, yet I wonder if it wasn't someone at the factory.

It's funny you mention cabooses Tony. That guy sent me a large bag of maybe 500 caboose smoke stacks! An interesting bag of parts for discussion, but who in the world would ever use or need these?

Damion Pinta

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  6:33:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
quote:
Critters, really?, , REALLY? I mean it all can't be the model train hobby in general , ...at least not for me.

Don't get me wrong....

So the automobile will remain my true passion and my main hobby. The Tyco trains is , one of my hobbies.
Originally posted by walt - January 13 2012 : 12:03:01 PM

Yeah... "critter" is the popular term for the type of shorty switchers Gareth gets excited about, which I used with playful affection.

I like photography, writing, sci-fi, urban exploration, music, cars, tinkering, antiquities, and all other sorts of things. I also work in a lucrative and challenging field that would pay a lot more if I hadn't chosen to apply myself more directly to fields such as education, non-profit healthcare, and judicial service - all of which benefit the public sector at large, at a cost to myself. My living is comfortable enough.

Thing is, this forum isn't for any of that stuff is it? It's for trains... and its title purports to a specific type, at that.

I get your passion for the automobile - it's one I share, albeit to a very limited degree. I've been helping my inlaws restore a '66 Mustang convertible, inspired them to rescue their semi-abandoned '29 Model A Roadster pickup, and resurrected their '75 Mark IV. I have my first car set aside in hopes to restore it someday once I determine the type. It probably would have been my career had other things not been relevant at certain times.

So being a fan of the automobile, surely you're familiar with running changes and model-year enhancements... how two cars that came off the line in the same plant with the same build sheet can be completely different in key areas, with the reasoning not always apparent. Surely you're aware that some guys will take a car... let's use my '75 Mark IV for example - and obsess about full concours-level detail: bolt head embossing on manifolds, chalk colors, tread patterns, paint codes, upholstery grain, etc. Others just want a car that looks reasonably original. Others just want one that's functional. Some take the function and completely reimagine it in the same body. Others scoff and say "WhyTF are you bothering with a crappy Mark IV in the first place?" It depends on how much they want to invest - how serious they are about the car hobby, and maybe if it happens to be a living or not.

Interestingly, you can apply all that to trains - even crappy $5 ones. Why the changes? Are they important? Does it even matter? That depends on your level of interest. You may not care about different shades of blue on a boxcar - but you are chasing 10 of "each" piggyback car / trailer they made, so surely the Silver vs. White Santa Fes, or goof-up Sea "J" Land, or the different UP versions portend some degree of relevance to that pursuit. Maybe they don't. It doesn't matter either way to me or anyone else. I'm not going to feign judgement - you choose what's important to you. You love cars, while an ever-increasing percentage sees them merely as a necessary evil and soulless wretched appliance (thanks, Toyota).

I'm an idiot that notices such things for myself and put the info out there - others can decide whether they're interested or not. This happens to be the place for it.

quote:
I too was a skeptic of his collection at first...

...that guy sent me a large bag of maybe 500 caboose smoke stacks! An interesting bag of parts for discussion, but who in the world would ever use or need these?
Originally posted by newhudson - January 14 2012 :  11:24:38 AM

Yeah, I sparked a fair bit of controversy at the time, but make no apologies for it. He simply could have been more forthcoming with answers to even simple questions I and others asked. But in talking to several other people who dealt with him, we all reached similar conclusions: he was "nice enough" on one level... but not someone you'd maybe choose to deal with. He was very odd. But I'm sure I've rubbed people the wrong way so who am I to judge? It's just unfortunate that he was so unwilling to be the slightest bit helpful beyond profit. I begged and pleaded for info, or even pictures, and his responses bordered on asinine. And a collection of such varied and questionable provenance is arguably made more authentic by its sum vastness... so scattering all these bits did nothing to help its case. Which is why I tried to analyze each piece to the point of being an "OCD savant".

He sent me some random parts bags too: a few hundred plastic truck pins (hey, those might be useful!) and a hundred General gearbox covers. I know someone else got a thousand or so handrail stanchions for the Rogers locomotive. Odd lots for sure!

Edited by - spiderj76 on January 14 2012 6:39:54 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 14 2012 :  7:51:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

quote:
I'm an idiot
Originally posted by spiderj76 - January 14 2012 :  6:33:20 PM

Very well said, Tony... Thank You!

Walt

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  9:17:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Oh you are quite welcome my selective-context friend.

Nice try on your edit, though! Allow me to post the original, with emphasis mine:

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my Tyco and related train pieces, but my real love is the automobile industry in general. It has provided me with a VERY nice living along with a great hobby... Be it an old original restore or a newer custom mini...or a new one that's been hit. To me it's the greatest work ever, if we can even call it work. Where else can a "dummy" like me make $44 -$68 an hour? No where. There's never gonna be time for me to wonder why a $5 train car comes in 3 different shades of blue...

I hope I was not unclear... Walt Lewis

Edited by - walt on January 13 2012 12:08:51 PM

I have responded to you cordially here, yet you continue to bait - even stooping to edit contect out of posts.

Everyone had been getting along fine lately, so there's no need for that, so please take such childish nonsense somewhere else.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 14 2012 :  11:17:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Call me Friend?, You couldn't be talking to me...

Continue to bait?? Are you refering to when you PM'ed me with your arrogance with incompetent remarks like body shop owners/painters are DUMB even though they triple your hourly income? Then you BLOCKED me so I couldn't respond back to you? Is that what you're refering to? Even YOU remeber that "childish" remark.. , oh..Isn't that"your word"?

You have responeded cordially??? A great decision would be not to resppond to my comments at all., like I mentioned before when you blocked me.

[quote] You love cars, while an ever-increasing percentage sees them merely as a necessary evil and soulless wretched appliance (thanks, Toyota)[quote]. ?? ? REALLY? soulless wretched appliance?? Where does those stats come from? AND you're going to blame Toyota...???

One more time I will kindly ask you not to shadow my comments and I thank you in advance. Have a great New Year!

Walt

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - January 17 2012 :  07:01:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Wow. Is it too much to ask that you two take whatever this is off line?

Since I thought I had read somewhere that this was about Tyco trains...... I find it interesting that the note pictured on Tony's site shows that at least 33 people were working for Tyco at the time of the memo. I don't see a title for the people in the top group, but I was suprised at 11 names just in Marketing. I wonder if any of these folks could be found today and provide some insight into the goings on behind the scenes?

Damion

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - January 17 2012 :  10:56:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
Of course, I don't expect everyone to share my enthusiasm. Nonetheless I freely share it when I can, rather than hold the info in seclusion or ransom.
Originally posted by spiderj76 - January 11 2012 :  3:19:44 PM

I'm just happy that there are still folks that ARE as enthusiastic!

Seriously Tony- cool stuff- more importantly... thanks for documenting it on the web and sharing more than just mere pictures.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - August 18 2012 :  11:28:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
quote:
It sounds like Tony and I have similar tastes.

Hey Damion
I know this reply is 8 mos late
but keep my in mind on those 500 smoke jacks
I may want to buy/trade for some sometime
yes...I'm serious

caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 18 2012 :  1:35:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Good stuff Tony! That will help those of us modelers in the early stages understand as we here, all have a pretty good idea, BUT the younger generation will have something to learn from!

TYCO might be gone and not on the shelves, BUT you and I both know they will be around for another 50 years! They sold ALOT of product way back when..... and alot of it, in great shape even the earliest stuff!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - August 20 2012 :  7:46:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Hey Caboose,

I still have them wrapped up in the plastic bag I got em in. I'll dig the bag out and post a pic just because I think it's funny to see so many all at once of such an odd part.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 20 2012 :  9:08:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I'd be interested in a few smoke jacks too! what you looking for a trade newhudson? Altho, I don't want, nor need 500 of them! 25 would be plenty!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - August 22 2012 :  11:40:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I got some oddlot parts bags as well: General gearbox covers, handrail stanchions (the L-shaped ones), and truck pins. Morethan I could ever hope to use! Funny how little space they take, too
  Previous Topic: Tyco Alco C-630 Burlington Prototype Topic Next Topic: TYCO ENGINES AND STOCK FOR SALE  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000