Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Nice layout video
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Dirigibles at the Empire State Topic Next Topic: The Flash  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  4:46:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvEXjkjmpcY&feature=related
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - December 18 2011 :  5:29:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
that would look good in my train room.
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  8:11:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
Very nice video.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 18 2011 :  8:51:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Impressive scenery. I like all his residential areas and the fact they don't look too cramped
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 23 2022 :  11:24:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Worth a repeat.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 23 2022 :  11:29:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Another nice video from that YouTube channel.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 23 2022 :  2:47:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2023 :  3:09:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

YouTube channel with many cool views of cooler layouts.

https://youtube.com/c/Tracksidemodelrailroading

Some from that list.

Ideas for your layouts are just a view away.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2023 :  3:12:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

No videos but a nice Model Railroader article about an HO layout in Japan.

https://www.trains.com/mrr/videos-photos/videos/layouts/layout-visits/modeling-the-sierra-rr-in-japan/

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2023 :  3:17:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some excepts from the link I posted earlier.

In case it disappears later at least I copied and pasted the modeler's back story.
On how he got interested in American railroad history.

Modeling the Sierra Railroad in Japan
August 15, 2023

An HO scale Wild West logging railroad in the Far East.

By Toyoji Sekine

"In the 1950s when I was a small child an O gauge train ran around the pond in my yard.
It was a Japanese-style train made of tinplate as nothing more realistic was available after the war.

But I fell in love with American railroads particularly the Sierra RR.
I grew up watching Western movies and the TV show Casey Jones.

It was about the legendary American locomotive engineer.
I focused on the Sierra Railroad which was used to film many of those movies.

When I got interested in logging locomotives I discovered a Japanese company called PFM United Inc

Known in the United States as Pacific Fast Mail.
This company made a Shay, Climax, Heisler, and the Sierra RR 2-6-6-2 Mallet that John Allen had.
I decided I wanted to model a logging line.

My HO scale Pickering & Sierra RR layout is closely tied to memories of the past.

I used to attend National Model Railroad Association conventions in the United States.
I had always wanted to visit Yosemite National Park so I asked my friend Joe.

He lives in San Francisco to help me do so on my way home from one of these trips.

He picked us up at the airport and took me, my wife, sister-in-law, and a friend of ours to Yosemite.
On the way he asked me if I also wanted to visit a preserved railroad.

We did and to my surprise it was the Jamestown depot of the Sierra RR.

I was just about to build the Jamestown depot and its roundhouse on my layout.
So I took pictures of the actual turntable from various angles to build the roundhouse.

Ivused my drawings and photos of the interior and exterior of the Jamestown depot to make my own kit.

The actual depot burned down in 1978.
I saw a picture of the depot that was taken in 1948.

And placed my figures around the station based on that photo.

We ate lunch on a bench in the park behind the roundhouse.
Then took a ride behind a preserved Shay locomotive.

Next, we went to Yosemite for an overnight stay.

Joe guided us to the top of the mountain and I took pictures of the park from there.

A photographer I know enlarged the photo which became the backdrop for my Sierra RR in Japan.

In the 1960s my mother bought me four structures several figures and cars for the layout.

She bought me five boxcars and a stock car at Tenshodo Model Store in Tokyo.

The boxcars were made of aluminum like material and have the word JAPAN stamped on the inside of the door."

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2023 :  3:21:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More excerpts from his model train history.

"I made a smaller layout prior to building my Sierra RR in Japan.
Based on the lessons I learned building it this time I built it so that the legs of the table would be absolutely stable.

The layout table is so sturdy that you can stand on top of it.
The tabletop is 3/4” plywood topped with Homasote sheet.

I wanted to create a layout with steep cliffs, so I made two valleys.

The first is spanned by three wooden bridges which were scratchbuilt from prototype drawings.

Two bridges were made from drawings in Model Railroader Magazine.

I am planning four mountains on the layout.

Access hatches will allow me to remove the mountains.
I am now working on the third mountain and the second valley.
In the second valley I am planning to build a steel bridge instead of a wooden one.

I bought the steel bridge parts from the United States.

The logging line has a 17” minimum radius.

Because the Shay and 2-6-6-2 Mallet run easily on tight curves.
The brass Union Pacific Big Boy and Cab-Forward and Sierra 2-6-6-2 No. 38 run smoothly on the Sierra RR’s broader curves.

The scenery base of my Sierra RR in Japan is made of hardshell supported by a weave of corrugated cardboard.

Plaster is poured into a rock mold to form the rock, which is then glued in place.

Real rocks are also placed in some areas. Casting powder is used for ground cover.

Fine grit sandpaper is glued down and painted to model asphalt.

When I was foresting the layout model trees were selling in Japan for about 3,000 yen apiece (about $10 at the time).

I built some of my own from a kit I got from tree artist Pete Vassler.who bought them when he went to a logging convention in Washington state.

The instructions said it was made with an air filter so I asked my sister-in-law who lives in the United States to send me a household filter.

We have rebuilt our house and now I have to move the layout to a new 24 x 31-foot room.

We are currently moving 116 steam and diesel locomotives and 164 freight and passenger cars.

They are packed in cardboard boxes.

I am cutting the layout into sections to be moved.

I have two saws specifically for rail cutting.
We got a truck with a crane to move the layout.
I am planning to raise the height between 4 and 6 inches in the new location."

Layout at a glance

Name: Pickering & Sierra RR
Scale: HO (1:87.1), HOn3 (HO scale, 3-foot narrow gauge), HOn2-1/2 (dummy tracks)

Size: 20'-7" x 23'-3"
Prototype: Pickering Lumber Co., Sierra RR

Locale: California’s Sierra Nevadas
Era: 1920s-1940s
Style: walk-in

Mainline run: 220 feet
Minimum radius: 17" (logging)
Minimum turnout: no.4
Maximum grade: 4%

Benchwork: open grid
Height: 36" to 57"

Roadbed: plywood and Homasote
Track: Shinohara code 83 (Sierra), code 70 (Pickering Lumber and dual gauge)

Scenery: plaster hardshell with plaster rocks
Backdrop: Backdrop warehouse, photo & painted
Control: twin DC cabs and Digitrax DCC
Meet

Toyoji Sekine lives in Tokyo with his four children and fourteen grandchildren.

The grandchildren enjoy pushing the button to blow the train whistle and riding on the 5” gauge Santa Fe diesel set up in the yard.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2023 :  3:28:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Photos of his layout from that article.

I

HO layout diagram.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 20 2023 :  9:27:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Another fascinating home basement layout.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 20 2023 :  9:30:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Articles about his magnificent layout.

http://kcprairierail.org/layouts/taylor/taylor.html

https://kcstudio.org/a-singular-retirement-douglas-taylor/

Previous Topic: Dirigibles at the Empire State Topic Next Topic: The Flash  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000