Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box cars
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NJ Transit  Topic Next Topic: Watz go''n on!  still going !   

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  7:43:09 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Hi All,

I just finished repainting these Tyco Operating box cars for the Santa Fe. To decorate these cars I used Acuflex Paint, Microscale Decals, and Ajax style brake wheels from Kadee. The mechanisms in two of the cars kept sticking so I removed the swiveling figure to improve operating reliability, in the figures place I installed crate stacks. As you all probably know, Tyco had the doors of these cars glued open at the factory causing crazed plastic behind the doors. To fix this damage I used an X-acto chisel blade and some plastic putty to smooth out the pitting left by the glue. Finally I used small drill bits to open up the stirrups on the corners of each of these cars. In the end I think this project turned out quite well, what do you think?

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on October 05 2011 8:15:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:02:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
They Look Pretty Darn Good! Well Done!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:05:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Excellent!!! Definately a first. I've always liked that set of Santa Fe. Athearn had a release of those. Very cool.

Did you paint right over them or strip them down?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Excellent paint and decal work, looks flawless. I've never painted any rolling stock other than a few cabooses and this is a clever idea.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:24:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Great job! I like that you put extra crates in the car.

- Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:29:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Oh, I forgot to write about the paint prep work. sorry. I did strip these cars of there original paint and lettering. If I had not, the original lettering would show through the new paint. To clean the shells I used Scalecoat Paint Stripper, this stuff works really fast and does not attack the plastic. To help the process along I gently scrubbed the cars with old toothbrushes and Q-Tips until most of the paint was gone. As I stripped the paint I discovered that three of the cars were made from white plastic and two from red plastic, so after washing the shells in warm soap and water I sprayed the cars with Acuflex primer paint so that I could start with the same base color for all five shells.

Scott

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - October 05 2011 :  8:42:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
FLAWLESS. VICTORY.

Excellent work. This is another one of the many Tyco exclusives that I've often wondered about not being ever released in other roadnames; can only imagine "what if". I've even thought about cutting a hole in other pre-decorated shells and swapping the hatch over.

I love the pitting and marks left on the panels where the doors used to be glued; it's not unheard of to see similar damage in real life and it could pass for a fair bit of weathering and or shop repairs.

Good tip on drilling out the stirrups too. I have used sharpies to blacken the fill since I'm otherwise lazy when it comes to these.

Now you need to add the standard ATSF 40' release to "complete the set" ;)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 05 2011 :  9:27:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I agree that the glue crazing on the car shells looks a like door scuff damage as seen on prototype cars. My main goal with the car body work was to make the crazing look less like melted plastic and more like dented and pitted steel. If you look closely at my pictures you can see the effect on my cars. My plan is to eventually weather these cars to enhance the beat up look, but for now I am going to enjoy these cars as they look now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - October 06 2011 :  12:23:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
It looks almost real. Great job
Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 07 2011 :  7:08:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
They look great! You did VERY nice paint and decal work
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 04 2017 :  1:37:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I an selling all of these cars on eBay if anyone is interested. Bids end at 1900 hrs PST on November 5th 2017.

Click to the below link to find them....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sren1970/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - November 04 2017 :  3:16:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Ah, that explains why my boxcar has a crazed door, But wait, mine was Burlington, not Santa Fe.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 08 2022 :  03:54:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I enjoy my Burlington ones but this repaint project looks great.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: NJ Transit  Topic Next Topic: Watz go''n on!  still going !   
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000