Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 G&D after fire
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A.T.&S.F. 2-10-10-2 and the Hazards of Helen Topic Next Topic: What''s Wrong with this Picture?  

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - January 27 2011 :  08:32:15 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

John Allan´s locos after the big fire destroyed his layout. - Erich

Edited by - Erich on January 27 2011 12:34:01 PM
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator 

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 27 2011 :  09:55:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Wow! I've never seen any photos of the G&D after the fire.
It's really strange that just 2 weeks after John Allens death that his famous G&D layout is destroyed by fire.
Thanks for posting these pics.

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 27 2011 :  10:12:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
What a shame I knows there are some G&D cars out there floating around
Any idea as to the cause of the fire?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 27 2011 :  10:20:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! I've never seen any photos of the G&D after the fire.

Originally posted by choochin3 - January 27 2011 :  09:55:04 AM

Me , either. Hope the Engineer and Fireman got out of the cab safely.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - January 27 2011 :  10:56:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
quote:
What a shame I knows there are some G&D cars out there floating around
Any idea as to the cause of the fire?

Originally posted by microbusss - January 27 2011 :  10:12:11 AM

There was a fault in the floor heating! - Erich

Edited by - Erich on January 27 2011 11:44:32 AM
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 27 2011 :  12:23:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
wow not cool So everything was lost in the G&D?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 27 2011 :  2:20:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
wow not cool So everything was lost in the G&D?

Originally posted by microbusss - January 27 2011 :  12:23:43 PM

Yes, it pretty much destroyed everything, from what I remember reading about it. I do remember now about the floor heating too causing the fire. Darn shame, the guy was an innovator in realistic scenery and weathering techniques. He pretty much started the weathering movement with his creations. I finally found some old '50's ? MOdel Railroader magazines with the initial published pics of his then-new realistic G and D RR. I'd never seen those pics before until last year. Pretty amazing stuff. Opened the eyes of quite a few modelers after that to possibilities.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 27 2011 :  2:37:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
The 4th/last loco shown is a vintage Tyco (Mantua) "Belle of the Eighties" 4-4-0:

Although it looks like the smokestack was swapped for a different one... which is not hard to do, and surely something John did deliberately. Curious that the headlight is missing, as that is a metal piece that should have survived, although they are easily broken off. That almost looks like a headlight bulb hanging out, but the original smokebox front is cast metal. I wonder if JA had devised an illuminated headlight box, which melted away?

Incredible pictures, and a sad but interesting display. Are these old photos brought to the captioned 2009 meet, or do the models still exist in this condition?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 27 2011 :  2:48:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
In celabrating John Allen and the G&D railroad I aquired some of the MDC cars that were aviable. A few of the smaller overton coaches and a 4 car set of the larger ones.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - January 27 2011 :  2:54:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
A few years ago, there were two steam locos on Ebay.(Evilbay, Scam Harbor, take your pick). The seller claimed they were John Allen's. The locos were in excellent condition. The seller claimed that J.A. had given them to [the seller] for repair and were never returned because Mr. Allen passed away before repairs were completed. He had no documentation. But, I would think with all the photos taken of the G&D layout that there could be some photo verification. Seems Mr. Allen's locos were uniquely customized/weathered. Don't remember what the ending price of the auction was.
Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 27 2011 :  4:41:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I loved his layout, wish I could have personally seen it. Much of what he did is what I hope to accomplish on a smaller scale and later date.

I bet you some of those locos would still fetch a ton of money. I would buy one just because of it's history. The one with the melted lead turned into art, ala Salvador Dali.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 27 2011 :  6:20:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Actually I was thinking of another very famous model railroad. The Franklin & South Manchester. Both are wonders.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 01 2011 :  05:36:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Allen's Belle has the stack used on the Eight-Ball 2-6-0 variant, which was basically the same loco with a different chassis and a few detail changes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - February 04 2011 :  10:54:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Ten days after Allen died unexpectedly of a heart attack, some of Allen's friends gathered for an operating session and discussion on the preservation of the railroad, in accordance with Allen's wishes. When they left, someone set a radiator in the train room to 65 degrees. Allen never used that radiator and had covered it with tarpaper. This caused a fire, which was quickly reported and extinguished fast enough to save the house, but it destroyed the final, still-unfinished incarnation of Allen's railroad. The damage was mainly contained to the layout room, and the house was rehabilitated and sold. A few model railroad items attributed to Allen survive and have been authenticated.

Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 04 2011 :  4:20:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Anyone live near where the house is? Still a shame what happened But we all should keep a look out for the cars that were made

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - February 08 2011 :  02:59:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

It´s so sad that the wood made cars are destroyed! - Erich

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 14 2011 :  9:11:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
This Is Sad If His Layout Would Have Survived, It Would Be Fitting Of A Museum. Well, The Lead Locomotive Would Have Been The Greatest Puller In His Fleet What An Engine!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 15 2011 :  12:16:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Looks like that 4-6-0 is a Varney product. Musta had some serious lead in her boiler!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 15 2011 :  12:27:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Heck Yes, Redneck Justin! Maybe I Should Do That. ie, Put Lead In My Engines
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 15 2011 :  12:29:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I just bought one too! Sad thing is that John never numbered it! Just checked out gd-lines.com and found a photo of it made for Varney's catalog, it was blank!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 15 2011 :  12:32:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Good Point. I Never Get Undecorated As I Will Never Paint But Today I Shall Paint The Golden Eagle Caboose! Or Silver Streak. Not Sure.

GROWLER
Switcher

Posted - February 23 2012 :  8:42:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GROWLER to Buddylist
Looking at pictures in "The Book", it doesn't look like the headlights on the 4-4-0s had anything special done to them, and yes, the locomotives do still exist in that condition, but they are in a private collection-here's a link http://gdlines.com/The_Satchel.html
For the 4-6-0 there are/were #s 48 and 49
The 0-6-6-0 was a modified PFM 2-6-6-2 and was #35
The 4-6-0 was # 49 if it was Varney, and # 48 if it was a PFM CP model
The 2-8-2 was a modified Mantua and was # 42 based solely on the tank on the boiler front (sorry, I'm a diesel guy) and the tender
The 4-4-0 was a Mantua, and if it was a Belle of the '80s , then it was #8, the Sergeant Ennis

SEMPER GUMBY
Edited by - GROWLER on February 23 2012 8:52:43 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: April 30 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 23 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 24 2012 :  08:05:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Andy Sperando has the sole survining G&D engine. Its a heavily modified 4-10-0 using a Varny boiler, Mantua drivers and lead truck. I plan on re-creating the 0-6-0 number 12 which is a MDC product and 4-6-0 #49.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 03 2022 :  10:38:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice reminiscing video.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: A.T.&S.F. 2-10-10-2 and the Hazards of Helen Topic Next Topic: What''s Wrong with this Picture?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000