Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Parkay Margarine car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: GP 9 Topic Next Topic: Athearn promos  

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - September 27 2009 :  4:22:40 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Athearn Promotional Run, 50' small plug door Boaxcar. circa 1970s No Catalog number.

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator 

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - October 08 2009 :  03:09:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
I can't belive nobody has commented on this car. Excellent post Carl. I have never seen this example before. You come up with all kinds of interesting finds. I like this car especially just due to the fact it is so simple but has the picture of the actual box from Parkay. There is no stenciling on it whatsoever. I would think they would have atleast put a car number on there somewhere. Any idea who could have painted this Carl? I know Bev-Bel did loads of custom run items using Athearn rolling stock.
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 08 2009 :  09:51:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Hah, I forgot to comment on this one. Was going to say, if you remove the chassis from the car does it talk and say "Par-KAY"?

In all seriousness, I've only ever known Parkay to come in the "talking" tubs. Never knew there was a stick version. For that matter I can't recall if they even still make the stuff.

The graphic is indeed quite colorful for its size. How is it applied?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 08 2009 :  10:38:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I WANT this car for my collection & Parkay ALWAYS had sticks long as I can remember
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 09 2009 :  2:52:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Since Athearn supposedly made the Car as a promotional run item, The graphics are the usual Athearn type of printing. Bev-Bel did not make this car.
The Athearn Guide shows a picture and mentions the car as having the Sticks on one side and the Tub on the other side. At the time the guide was printed It also stated Origin unknown only one found. If you look at the picture, you see the side with sticks matches up to the car I have exactly. The font and the centering of the lettering is exactly as the picture in the Athearn Guide. But, I have two cars and the ones I have, have only the stick picture on both sides. Was this intentional or an error, I do not know. Knowing Athearn it could be ether way.
An Intentional Error. Or could these be test cars.
I purchased the two at the same time they were only the shells. I had to supply the rest of the car. I haven't seen any others..
It would be nice to know more information.

Update: After posting this reply. I searched eBay, and a Parkay car popped up exactly as was listed in the Athearn Guide. With the tub and stick grahics. So I guess we all now know of two.... Interesting....

2nd Update: Contacted Seller Received more information and she posted pictures of the box. Looks to be a Special Run made for Kraft by Athearn. So the info in the Athearn guide is correct. But, It still doesn't explain my version of only the Parkay stick graphics on both sides...

Edited by - VintageHO on October 11 2009 09:02:59 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - September 27 2010 :  11:00:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
Your's isnt the only "sticks" car: Here's my unassembled kit with both sides of the car shown. A neat little (and very rare) collectable.
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - September 27 2010 :  8:52:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Larry. Was there a Athearn Kit number on the box or was it just blank white panel..?? Carl

Edited by - VintageHO on September 27 2010 8:52:39 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - September 27 2010 :  9:32:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
quote:
Larry. Was there a Athearn Kit number on the box or was it just blank white panel..?? Carl

Originally posted by VintageHO - September 27 2010 :  8:52:09 PM

Blank panel with handwritten content info. The only promo's I have with Athearn factory print on the ends are my Interail Transport SW7 and my Old Forester ACF Hopper car.
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 03 2011 :  1:55:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I picked up one of these cars too. It has the sticks on both sides. It came n the standard blue box, without anything in the white name plate area.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - April 02 2011 :  7:18:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
I finally got around to Finishing the Repair on my Parkay Box car. 2 of the original stir-ups were missing so I Replaced all 4 with Aline brass stir-ups. Had to use a pin vise with very small drill bit, so I could install them...
This the Parkay car with Sticks and Tube on different sides... Carl

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - April 03 2011 :  06:29:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist

How bout a swig of Coke to wash down the butter?

This is the very rare 50ft Reefer made by Athearn for kris models in Endicott NY. It is the only blue box car done for Coca Cola to my knowledge - tho they have run various RTR engines/cars for Coke in recent years.
Larry

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 08 2020 :  10:42:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:

How bout a swig of Coke to wash down the butter?

This is the very rare 50ft Reefer made by Athearn for kris models in Endicott NY. It is the only blue box car done for Coca Cola to my knowledge - tho they have run various RTR engines/cars for Coke in recent years.
Larry

Originally posted by SOU2645 - April 03 2011 :  06:29:12 AM

Coke and pizza would be nice.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 09 2020 :  07:08:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
do want both cars! *drools*
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

revdebbie3
Switcher

Posted - December 18 2020 :  11:24:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add revdebbie3 to Buddylist
I have the Parkay boxcar in a box. The box says "Sell America's Number One Margarine Brand in Truck and Rail Quantities... and $ave", so it must have been a sales promo. I don't see any manufacturers name on it; but it sounds like the one(s) you've been discussing. It has the sticks on one side and the tubs on the other. The car comes on a piece of track; it doesn't look like a "running" car.

Just thought I might throw in some info - this is the only place I've been able to even find it mentioned.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: December 18 2020  ~  Last Visit: January 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 18 2020 :  1:14:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I have the Parkay boxcar in a box. The box says "Sell America's Number One Margarine Brand in Truck and Rail Quantities... and $ave", so it must have been a sales promo. I don't see any manufacturers name on it; but it sounds like the one(s) you've been discussing. It has the sticks on one side and the tubs on the other. The car comes on a piece of track; it doesn't look like a "running" car.

Just thought I might throw in some info - this is the only place I've been able to even find it mentioned.

Originally posted by revdebbie3 - December 18 2020 :  11:24:30 AM

pix?

revdebbie3
Switcher

Posted - January 24 2021 :  12:30:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add revdebbie3 to Buddylist
Sorry for the delay - I'm new at this. had to remember my password and figure how to upload the photos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: December 18 2020  ~  Last Visit: January 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 24 2021 :  1:04:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
still want both cars hehehe
Parkay would work with the grocery trains I have

revdebbie3
Switcher

Posted - January 24 2021 :  3:34:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add revdebbie3 to Buddylist
Well , I was searching initially to find a reasonable price to sell it for in my shop. The history has been fun but I don't want to keep it. It doesn't fit with my collections.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 24 2021 :  4:20:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 24 2021 :  8:03:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Well , I was searching initially to find a reasonable price to sell it for in my shop. The history has been fun but I don't want to keep it. It doesn't fit with my collections.

Originally posted by revdebbie3 - January 24 2021 :  3:34:30 PM

gimmies!
  Previous Topic: GP 9 Topic Next Topic: Athearn promos  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 1.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000