Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 HO AHM RS-3 Coffee Grinder
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My Rivarossi Docksider won''t run. Help. Topic Next Topic: 1776 GGI  

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - July 08 2009 :  11:37:47 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
I have an elderly AHM RS-3 (manuf. in Yoguslavia, presumably by Mehano?), which trundles down the track like a coffee grinder.
I have opened it up & had a good look at it & noted that it has a vertically mounted 'open frame' motor & it only drives through the back wheels.
When one opens up the underside of the driven wheels there are , in parallel, a geared axle then , [i think from memory], 3 small gears & another geared axle. Somewhere in there is the gear poking down from the motor.

I suspect the noise is a mix of motor & plastic gears.
The Loco has tons of character, but I was wondering if there is a known motor swap that could quieten it down??
Tanked
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 243  ~  Member Since: September 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2012 Alert Moderator 

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - July 08 2009 :  8:28:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
I have one of those. Haven't run it, yet. I suspect you have a cracked gear. Or have you looked at the end play on motor armature? Too much end play might get things out of alignment.
As for motor swaps. Later version of that same unit used a different drive
system, I think it is the same used in their GP18. As for using the same gear set and using a different motor, anything is possible but, sounds like major surgery. Might be a good project to put a little can motor in there. Just curious what roadname or does it have one?

(by the way, I am using bold, large print because I have a hard time seeing the little letters on my screen)

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - July 09 2009 :  09:09:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
[size=3] [b]I have one of those. Haven't run it, yet. I suspect you have a cracked gear.

Originally posted by NC shortlines - July 08 2009 : 8:28:05 PM

Hi SL
The road name on the Loco is Pennsylvania.
Re a cracked gear - I have some pics below & would appreciate it if you could suggest which one[s] are most likely to crack.
I ran it again last night & noise isn't as bad now & loco may be in a 'running in' mode.
Thanks
Tank

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 243  ~  Member Since: September 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - July 09 2009 :  12:24:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
The problem thea I have had with those are that the magnet flux plates hit the armature. If the motor over heats, the top part (bearing mount/brush holder) distorts and allows the flux plates to rub the armature.
I have repaired a few by trimming the top piece and shimming the flux plates.
I have fit can motors in them by removing the top. the flux plates, the magnet and drilling the bottom bearing out to fit the mounting boss of the can motor.
Depending on the motor used some trimming is needed.
I saw some photos of that remotor posted here, I can't recall who posted them.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - July 09 2009 :  9:23:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
My guess it's the gear on the wheel axles. That's what I have seen before on other locos.
The ones you show appear to be in good condition. Ray seems to have suggested the most likely source for the noise.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 10 2009 :  02:43:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Those motors are noisy on a good day, and as Ray said they were prone to overheating. The Pennsy RS-2 I had as a kid burned out in the first few weeks.

The worm would be the only gear that could split, but that was more common on the AHM C-Liners and BL-2's. They had the same size worm, but the motor shaft was a larger diameter, so the gear was thinner and prone to splitting. The RS-2 has a smaller 2mm motor shaft, so the gear is heftier and not likely to crack.

I think the photos Ray was referring to were mine. I remotored an AHM Alco switcher (same power truck) with a Mabuchi FK-130, which is almost a drop-in fit.

This is the truck with the motor assembly removed.

I ripped out the bottom bearing...

... then ground the bottom flat and opened up the hole to accept the can motor bearing. The new motor is a little wider than the old magnet and pole pieces, so the hardest part was widening the sides of the opening without grinding away the flimsy plastic tabs that hold the truck inside the loco's frame.

I added pickup wipers to the rear truck while I was at it.

Here it is assembled. The gray fuzz to the front of the motor is some foam I used to shim the motor for the best gear mesh between the worm and idler gears. A bent paperclip works as a motor retainer, with the original motor screws holding it down.

The original gear ratio isn't bad, because this engine can crawl with this motor. Now it performs better than many high-end diesels.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on July 10 2009 02:55:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - July 10 2009 :  09:51:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
NP,
very clever. I might try something like that myself.

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - July 10 2009 :  11:33:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Thanks Nelson.
Those are the photos I was thinking of.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 10 2009 :  4:58:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Thanks. I couldn't believe what a perfect fit those motors are when the idea first hit me. That power truck was used in a lot of Mehano hood units, and the can motor makes them run like a serious model instead of a toy.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - July 13 2009 :  3:43:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks. I couldn't believe what a perfect fit those motors are when the idea first hit me. That power truck was used in a lot of Mehano hood units, and the can motor makes them run like a serious model instead of a toy.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-July 10 2009: 4:58:02 PM

Brilliant use of a paper clip, Nelson.
#8 fencing wire engineering at its best.
Thanks for the 'How To', very useful. I may give that a go.
Tanked
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 243  ~  Member Since: September 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - July 14 2009 :  10:51:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-July 10 2009: 02:43:38 AM

Nelson - where did you get the wipers?
They don't look home made.
Thanks
Tanked

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 14 2009 :  6:43:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
They aren't. They are IHC tender pickups I bought from the AHM/IHC parts guys at my local Greenberg show. I always stock up on various wipers when I'm there. The washerhead screws are from some scrapped piece of electronics.

You can use just about anything. I used the pickup wipers from the remnants of an old Bachmann cheapie to add 8 wheel pickup to a GP18. If you have some phosphor-bronze sheet (I think Micro-Mark sells it) you can cut your own.

The Tyco Depot

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - July 28 2009 :  1:40:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
I remotored an AHM Alco switcher (same power truck) with a Mabuchi FK-130, which is almost a drop-in fit.

The original gear ratio isn't bad, because this engine can crawl with this motor. Now it performs better than many high-end diesels.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-July 10 2009: 02:43:38 AM

Nelson
Do you have another shot of the complete wiring set up??
Why I ask is I have assembled what I need to follow your example, but I note that in the 'add wipers to rear truck' photo there is a black wire, then the shot of the new motor shows a red & white wire, so I am wondering where the black wire went.??
Thanks
Tanked

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 28 2009 :  3:01:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I was hoping you wouldn't notice. The last photo was taken after I had the motor installed and was testing it, but before I installed the wipers on the rear truck. When I did, I just used the screws that hold the wipers to hold the wires as well for easy service. I tend to use all black wire because it doesn't show. (On the wipers I used, I bent the lower corner of the rectangular center section away from the end of the idler gear to prevent it from grinding any plastic off the end of the shaft. This may not be an issue with whatever wipers you've chosen, but I thought I'd mention it. You can just see the lower corner curled away from the truck if you look at it full size.)

On my unit, the red wire comes from the right rail, and the white wire from the left, so just connect the wires from the right and left wipers to the correct color. I'd like to assume that Mehano used consistent color coding, but you know what they say about that. I would confirm the color code on yours to avoid giving yourself a dead short.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on July 28 2009 3:03:18 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 28 2009 :  7:54:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nelson,
Very cool. I can't wait to do one of those. Glad to hear how well it runs.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 28 2009 :  8:42:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Thanks, AF.

I thought I'd throw a shot of the gears in for good measure. I cleaned everything when I was done, as you can see the plastic shavings in the grease.

I had to play with the gear mesh a little bit, and discovered it was quietest with the new motor pressed against the back of the truck. I ground a few thousandths away from the rear wall, and used a shim in front of the motor for the best mesh. It didn't like being dead center, for some reason.

The Tyco Depot

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - August 03 2009 :  6:48:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:

This is the truck with the motor assembly removed.

Ok Nelson
How did you get the motor out of the chassis?
I have started my conversion & am stuck with the commutator shaft & pinion & magnets still in the housing.
I can't see that I can get a gear puller in at the moment.
Thanks
Tanked

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 03 2009 :  7:23:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I couldn't use a gear puller in this case either, because of the truck housing. I removed the axles and idler gears and pried the worm off with a small screwdriver slipped between the worm and the truck housing.

It's only a plastic gear, so there isn't much friction holding it on the shaft. The armature assy. will lift right out once it's removed.

The Tyco Depot

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - August 03 2009 :  9:02:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
I couldn't use a gear puller in this case either, because of the truck housing. I removed the axles and idler gears and pried the worm off with a small screwdriver slipped between the worm and the truck housing.

It's only a plastic gear, so there isn't much friction holding it on the shaft. The armature assy. will lift right out once it's removed.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-August 03 2009: 7:23:55 PM

Okay.
will try that.
Thanks
Tanked

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - September 06 2009 :  7:57:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
[quote] [quote] I remotored an AHM Alco switcher (same power truck) with a Mabuchi FK-130, which is almost a drop-in fit.

I have been working on this off & on & have the can motor in & the wiper contacts added to the rear truck.
The motor unit sits in a plastic housing that has 2 'wings ' either side & you have to twist the motor unit to position those wings in a chassis plate, one above & one below the plate. (See Nelson's 'pickup wiper' potos, the wings are just above the wiper)
I was able to get the motor unit out, but damned if i can get it back in!!.
Nelson, is there a trick to that??
Tanked

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 06 2009 :  10:05:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Tanked
Originally posted by TankedEngine-September 06 2009: 7:57:29 PM

No, I didn't have a problem with that. It's just the reverse of removing it, so you push the truck in turned at an angle and twist until it locks. You used the same motor, or at least one with the same dimensions, right? Unless the motor is wider and blocking the opening, I can't imagine why it isn't going in.

The Tyco Depot

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 07 2009 :  03:15:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I tried this swap. I have some aligning to do. I also found it hard to get the power truck back in. Thanks for the pics too.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - September 07 2009 :  08:59:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Tanked
Originally posted by TankedEngine-September 06 2009: 7:57:29 PM

No, I didn't have a problem with that. It's just the reverse of removing it, so you push the truck in turned at an angle and twist until it locks. You used the same motor, or at least one with the same dimensions, right? Unless the motor is wider and blocking the opening, I can't imagine why it isn't going in.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-September 06 2009: 10:05:32 PM

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words etc, what am I doing wrong Nelson??

Thanks
Tanked

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - September 08 2009 :  2:28:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-September 06 2009: 10:05:32 PM

[/quote]

I had another look at it & decided it wasn't going to work unless I shaved some of the motor tube where it was blocking the plate - so that has been Dremeled. Rather agricultural outcome, but the motor is now in the chassis plate, its wired up & circulating the track as I write.
Noise is chalk & cheese - much much quieter & smoother.
Some minor gear binding at slow speed I am hoping to 'wear off' during the motor break in period.
That was my fault for JB Welding the motor in place rather than leaving the ability to make subtle adjustments to the gear mesh.
Tanked
[/quote]

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 10 2009 :  4:33:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Tanked,

I didn't know the RS-3 had a steel frame, as the Alco I worked on has a plastic one which must have more clearance for the truck. I'm nit quite sure what you ground from your description, but removing steel from the diagonal parts of the frame opening would have allowed the truck to turn farther.

"Chalk and cheese?"

I don't know if using toothpaste or valve compound is a good idea, since the gears are overmeshed on one side. You can probably break the JB Weld by prying with a sharp screwdriver or razor blade, so you can adjust the position of the motor. I've been able to break epoxy bonds that way.

The Tyco Depot

TankedEngine
Big Six

Posted - September 24 2009 :  2:49:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TankedEngine to Buddylist
quote:
Tanked,

I didn't know the RS-3 had a steel frame, as the Alco I worked on has a plastic one which must have more clearance for the truck. I'm nit quite sure what you ground from your description, but removing steel from the diagonal parts of the frame opening would have allowed the truck to turn farther.

"Chalk and cheese?"

I don't know if using toothpaste or valve compound is a good idea, since the gears are overmeshed on one side. You can probably break the JB Weld by prying with a sharp screwdriver or razor blade, so you can adjust the position of the motor. I've been able to break epoxy bonds that way.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-September 10 2009:

I was surprised to see you had a plastic chassis in your photos. I scraped plastic off the outside of the motor housing, it was easier than going at the chassis. Running in the loco is smoothing out the running behavior.
Tanked 4:33:00 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 25 2009 :  05:59:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Glad to hear it's quieting down.
The Tyco Depot

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - August 08 2010 :  11:53:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I got one of these today, a Santa Fe that I wanted for a long time. Unfortunately, after a few minutes of running the motor started "seizing." It would sit and hum and get hot. It seems like the magnet plates are rubbing, like Ray mentioned in a previous post. I tried tinkering with it, but I think it's time to remotor.

So I have a couple questions. I may scrounge a motor to fit in it, but the one in this demo seems to work great. So to anyone who can answer I ask:

1. Where can I get a FK 130 motor?

2. What do the numbers FK 130 mean exactly? A quick search of ebay reveals an FA 130 and an FF 130, and some just labeled 130. What's the difference? I know nothing about Mabuchi motors.

Otherwise, I'm going to start going through my "junk" to find something that will fit.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - August 09 2010 :  02:36:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
B77. The motor is a FK-130SH. you can see the number in one of the pictures of the motor. Here is the link to the Web page. It has the Higher Voltage range.

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=fk_130rhsh

Also here is link to a site that sells them. Carl

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/k4_pacific/items/Parts__Small_12V_Motor_For_Model_Train_Mabuchi_FK_130SH

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on August 09 2010 02:40:05 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 09 2010 :  02:39:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
B77, you can get some at All Electronics: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-368/3-12-VDC-MOTOR/1.html

The Mabuchi data sheets are here: http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/product/p_0306.html

You can find out what their designations mean from the following chart.

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/technic/t_0302.html

The Tyco Depot

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - August 09 2010 :  11:49:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Thanks for the great info, guys. I've ordered from k4 before, so I'll go ahead and get that motor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 10 2010 :  01:36:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
VHO, you beat me by 3 minutes.

The RS-2 I got when I was about 9 burned up in a few weeks. I always assumed that the armature had a short in the windings, but maybe it was rubbing the pole pieces.

The Tyco Depot

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - August 28 2010 :  4:38:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I just finished this, and it was a real learning experience. First of all, I figured out that I could solder much easier if I used smaller solder. So know I'm going to solder all kinds of things that I've got temporarily taped together.

There were some problems as I went along. My loco is the metal frame type like TankedEngine's. As I look back at the pictures, the it's obvious the metal frame version is completely different. The plastic one has that "mehano-y" (that's a new word) look, with the handrails molded into the chassis. The metal frame version is more like other AHM's in that the handrails are on the shell and the whole thing comes off to leave a flat metal chassis.

So the problem came when I put the shell back on. It ran fine with no shell, then when I put it on it made a horrible noise and would barely wobble down the track. The trouble is that the motor is just barely too big. The shaft and one terminal rub the shell. After messing with it a while, I tried grinding the shaft down flush with the motor housing. That helped stop the noise, but the loco would still stutter when taking a turn. I looked in the shell and found a scrape mark right above one of the terminals. Bending it down didn't help. I tried to carefully scratch out a spot in the shell, but I had to quit to keep from going through.

In the end, I shimmed the front and back of the shell with some thin cork I found in the junk box. Not sure of the size...thinner than a CD is all I can think of. It works fine, and the height difference on the shell isn't noticeable.

Other than some less than perfect traction tires, it runs like a champ now.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 29 2012 :  12:30:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
I been doing that for years with the vertical motor in the truck with the can motors! I tell ya, it makes a really loud, poorly running locomotive crawl, pull well and even be strong, with some muscle if you add in a little more weight then what the factory did!

I got 3 or so, AHM RS-2's I plan to do that with! THEN, I plan to add in a SECOND powered truck, made the same way for dual motored units, with 6 VDC motors wired in-line to run together and not exceed the 12 volts of power going to the motors!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 29 2012 :  01:36:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, wiring the 6 volt motors in series like that will do the trick, because it will halve the voltage going to each. I dual motored my RR GG-1 and wired the motors in series to halve the top speed, and it works really well. The motors work like a differential in tandem like that: if one is loaded down, the other spins faster, so they balance each other.

At least now you know where that Alco 1000 body came from! Now the power truck is in an RS-2.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 29 2012 :  01:39:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Cool beans Nelson.....

Not that I'm real worried about the ALCO 1000 trucks went as I got a set to slip right under it!

Not to mention will end up a painted shell, anway as I want to add in another one to my Western Maryland diesel switcher fleet.....AND the WM never had ANY EMD switchers! Baldwin and ALCO, only!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Catskill Mountain Railroad

Posted - September 30 2012 :  12:57:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
I've got a PRR and NH rs-2, and I couldn't get either to work well stock. I"m wondering if I should do the drive swap from a gp18, get a Model Power GP-20/FA/Alco1000 drive, or just srcap the units. "I don't always like diesels but when I do, it's an ALCO"

Unlike the prototype, I prefer to have my models not make so much noise!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2012 :  01:42:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
You can't do a drive swap from the GP18 on these, at least not easily. That drive incarnation only uses the upper shell with an entire new plastic frame of similar construction as the GP18. On this one, the decks are molded to the body shell with the handrails a seperate part.

I once started to cut up a shell to do that swap but never did finish it. You'd have to cut the decks away, trim the cab base a bit, and then it would just slip on with nothing to hold it down.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Posted - November 23 2012 :  11:03:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
Found out a local hobby shop does in fact have old stock in stock. It looked like it was a store from 30 years ago! Anyway, he showed me how the GP18 repowering isn't going to work that well.

Surprisingly, my rs2 is said to run "very well", and I don't remember it being quite that quiet when runnning... ever! He said traction tires should fix it up to run at least 3 coaches around, and maybe I'll double head it with another rs2 as soon as I get more parts for the formerly "donor" locomotive.

Thank you for the help, I'll keep looking for CD motors though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Posted - November 28 2012 :  5:01:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
Were there originally traction tires on both axles of the power truck mentioned in this blog? I've thought about it, and I can't remember if there were traction tires or not. In using grease-like lubricants instead of machine oil, I have found the gear noise got to an acceptable standard of "quiet enough". If I add traction tires, I think I can get a bit more pulling power that I thought the motor had. Would I put the motor at greater risk of overheating by adding traction tires?

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 29 2012 :  5:15:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
All of their diesels with only one powered truck had a pair of traction tires, so it won't be a problem for the motor. The all-wheel driven units didn't have any.
The Tyco Depot

Islanderh93
Little Six

Posted - May 22 2014 :  11:31:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
Looking at it again today, why does it only have traction tires on one side? Is that to allow slippage while going around tight curves?

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 22 2014 :  4:14:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I guess that was the general thought, but Life-Like sold the RS11 with the same power truck and traction tires on all 4 wheels, probably to make up for the relatively low weight. The physics aren't as critical at this scale as they are on the prototype.

Since I added wipers to the power truck, I flipped one axle around to have one metal wheel on each rail, and have noticed no problems.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on May 22 2014 4:15:26 PM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 22 2014 :  10:21:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Looking at it again today, why does it only have traction tires on one side? Is that to allow slippage while going around tight curves?

Originally posted by Islanderh93 - May 22 2014 :  11:31:05 AM

A lot of model locomotives have traction tires on one rail and pick up power from the other rail. For example, a steam engine might pick up from the right rail with the drivers and the left with the tender, so all the traction tires would be on the left rail. Similarly, some train set diesels had one truck picking up from the left rail and the other one from the right rail. Traction tires would be on the insulated-side wheels.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 27 2014 :  01:55:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I followed your lead and built one of these myself using an old computer surplus motor...WOW! I cant believe how good it runs now, with new super traction tires it now pulls like a sled dog and is as quiet as can be, the chassis is currently powering an old Tyco shark that was in need of a drive. Thanks for the ideas and for going to the trouble to post your project!
Edited by - metalsmith1 on May 27 2014 02:10:52 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

leofuture
Switcher

Posted - November 20 2017 :  8:01:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add leofuture to Buddylist
How would you repower Tyco shark? I thought it's the PT drive?

quote:
I followed your lead and built one of these myself using an old computer surplus motor...WOW! I cant believe how good it runs now, with new super traction tires it now pulls like a sled dog and is as quiet as can be, the chassis is currently powering an old Tyco shark that was in need of a drive. Thanks for the ideas and for going to the trouble to post your project!

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 27 2014 :  01:55:57 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: September 20 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 03 2021 :  10:21:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

quote:

I followed your lead and built one of these myself using an old computer surplus motor...WOW!
I cannot believe how good it runs now with new super traction tires.
It now pulls like a sled dog and is as quiet as can be.
The chassis is currently powering an old Tyco Shark that was in need of a drive.
Thanks for the ideas and for going to the trouble to post your project!

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 27 2014 :  01:55:57 AM

Venerable engine.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5843  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: My Rivarossi Docksider won''t run. Help. Topic Next Topic: 1776 GGI  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000