Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Forum Related
 Forum Help
 A concern for a well loved site.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Find file name for recently uploaded photo? Topic Next Topic: Forum running slooooooooooooooooooow, or is it jus  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 22 2022 :  06:39:02 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The TF was my introduction into collecting Tyco. Over the years it has provided hours of
enjoyment and I have greatly enjoyed the number of e-friends I made here.

The TF has had its ups and downs, and the site owner has selflessly continued to support
this site through Hell and High Water. We appreciate the man.

What is going on is that the site loads new posts very slowly. When opening the site it
will say "11 Active Topics." Click on one, and then it takes a minute, maybe longer,
to unfurl. Then, when one goes back to "Active Topics," it now states, "No Active
Topics."

One then has to open "Recent Topics," wait another minute or two for it to open,
and then go through the list, each one taking a minute or two to open.

This is simply going to kill off this site. If it can be fixed, please fix it. This is not
criticism, constructive or destructive, it is a wish that it can be fixed so that this
site will not fade away. This thing is too good to lose.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 22 2022 :  08:46:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Yesterday and last night it was either off line or going very slow.
Probably maintenance issues but it is fine today.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 22 2022 :  12:03:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Every time I try to get on, like now, it's an ordeal.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 22 2022 :  12:16:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Was slow earlier. I managed to post some cool internet videos on another thread.
Took time but they went through.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - August 23 2022 :  4:23:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
This is the best laid out forum site I have ever seen. Hoorays for the software designers. The folks running it deserve a tremendous thank you!. And thanks to the moderators for keeping the site civilized. And the members are terrific! I've learned so much and had such good fun from sharing by others of their collections, construction, and operation efforts.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 12 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 24 2022 :  10:52:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Hey Chops, I remember reading somewhere on this site that the “Active Topics” are good for 20 minutes, then they go away, which probably explains your dilemma. I have had pretty good luck preserving the Active Topics page by using my browser’s “Back” button to return to it after reading a topic. If I post a reply I also have to back out of that too, so sometimes I have to hit the “Back” button several times, but I can live with that if it means preserving the list of active topics. As a matter of fact, last night I left a topic page open and was still able to go back to the active topics list this morning. I find this doesn’t always work, but it usually does. (As an aside, I wasn’t aware of the “Recent Topics” page, so thanks for that little nugget of wisdom!) Maybe this will help you, maybe it won’t, but I wanted to offer it either way. I have no suggestions for the sluggish response though.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 24 2022 :  10:57:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Oh yeah, a heads up: sometimes doing this will cause you to post a response more than once!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 26 2022 :  6:08:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks for the heads up. Today, it is working a little faster, but one click
on "Active Topics" and it all goes away. One has to circle back to "Recent
Topics." The newly arrived visitor may be befuddled by this idiosyncrasy.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 26 2022 :  6:08:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks for the heads up. Today, it is working a little faster, but one click
on "Active Topics" and it all goes away. One has to circle back to "Recent
Topics." The newly arrived visitor may be befuddled by this idiosyncrasy.

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - August 27 2022 :  11:07:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
This forum software appears to be over 20 years old which is truly antique by technology standards and a testimony to good design. Changing how "active topics" link works may be a seriously complicated task; it is probably related to "last visit" time and date. I have not logged out nor closed all browser tabs for TF; yet I have visited 3 times this morning.
Rule: all non-trivial apps have bugs.
Axiom: a bug free app is trivial.

Edited by - offtrackthoroughbred on August 27 2022 11:23:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 12 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 28 2022 :  05:55:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I guess I am the only one having this problem.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - August 28 2022 :  11:58:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
I was poking around and it appears that the underlying web software is HTML and JavaScript, which are still used today. As an IT engineer, I can say that Murphy's law kicks in all the time. As I'm ready to leave for the day, or on vacation, something blows and needs to be fixed NOW. Fortunately, when I am out of the office and something goes wrong, I have someone to cover for me. I'm speaking of my work, not home. This site appears to be run by one person who knows exactly what is going on with the software and makes the appropriate fix as soon as he can.

Chops, two things to try and resolve your issue. Always clear the browser cache as old "stuff" can sometimes cause the browser to go haywire. Another thing to check is that your browser is current. I get calls from friends and family all the time about their browser issues and the underlying issue is usually related to one of these two fixes.

Personally, I think this is a great site especially how photos are stored within the site and never go away. This allows me to browse old posts and see both the text and associated photo(s) that are often worth 1,000 words.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 28 2022 :  3:18:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting. By doing ctrl/alt/del that gives me the option to sign out.
Is that what I should be doing here? It took a wicked long time to
upload my two postings today.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - August 28 2022 :  9:13:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
ctrl/alt/del brings up a menu that allows you to select several options, one of which signs you off *your* computer, not this website. I've had no issues uploading photos, but keep in mind that the higher the resolution (larger file size too), then the longer it takes to upload. My pics are usually below 6,000 kb.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 29 2022 :  3:43:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
OK, going to try this right now. See you on the other side.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 31 2022 :  11:17:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Back from the dark. I did the ctrl+alt+del thing, and it's a bit snappier
now. We shall see...

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 31 2022 :  2:09:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Back from vacation and I happened upon this topic. The way I get around this problem is to click on "active topics." WHen I do this, an option appears under the "all forums" tab that will let me select how far back to view the active topics. Under normal circumstances I have this set for two days, and it will show any topics updated within that time.

Hope this helps somebody.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Find file name for recently uploaded photo? Topic Next Topic: Forum running slooooooooooooooooooow, or is it jus  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000