Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Canus Cave
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The White Horse of Uffington Topic Next Topic: Checker game by the tweezers . . .  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 08 2022 :  3:19:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
A tourist attraction along the line of any railroad can help drum up passenger business. Along the Tabor and Waldo, Canus Cave is a whistle stop with a lodge and a tourist cave:

The station is little more than a log shelter and a railing to keep passengers from falling over the cliff. The lodge is an old grist mill kit. I didn't have the whole setup for a mill and mill pond, so I just hid the axle for the water wheel, so now it's a rustic lodge.

Concrete steps lead down into a portion of the cave that collapsed into an open hole long before recorded history.

Here we see a guide filling in the customers on what's to come in their netherworld experience.

This aerial shot shows the layout of the lodge and the cave while a few tourists enjoy a picnic:

On a Latin note, in Latin, canus cave has nothing to do with caves at all. It means beware of dog.

And, there is a dog to beware. It's eying the lunch of the unsuspecting folks at the picnic table.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on June 08 2022 3:25:17 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 08 2022 :  4:52:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
eyeing*
good stuffs
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 08 2022 :  5:01:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I would LOVE to see a track plan for your railroad. It's my favourite on here.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rockville
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - June 08 2022 :  5:18:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rockville to Buddylist
How did you make the caves, they look very realistic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: March 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 08 2022 :  7:43:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
How did you make the caves, they look very realistic.

Originally posted by Rockville - June 08 2022 :  5:18:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

The cliffs are all stacked limestone with the stones blended together with clay from a streambed. For the cave entrances, I made holes in the clay. The stairs and walks are also clay. Gravel makes the boulders in the floor of the hole. The tall grass is cut from the frayed end of Manila hemp rope stuck in glue.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 08 2022 :  10:26:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome scenes!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 09 2022 :  12:29:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Harkens to the Gorre and Daphetid, but TBH I like this even better!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 09 2022 :  09:42:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Harkens to the Gorre and Daphetid, but TBH I like this even better!

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 09 2022 :  12:29:25 AM

You flatter me. Gorre and Daphetid impressed me back when I was just starting to get serious in model railroading and probably influenced me and a whole generation of us. I've been reading Model Railroader Magazine, starting from the first issue and am now to November 1953. All along there were sharp distinctions drawn between "tinplate" toy trains and scale models. There were vocal people who were no fans of freelance modeling. If you're building a scale model train, make it a scale model of something real, dogonnit!

John Allen blurred distinctions. His models were scale, not tinplate, but they were also fiction with a great deal of caricature in them. In the early '50s, there was a recoil against plastic shake-the-box kits, but while John Allen scratch built a lot of equipment, Varney advertisements for plastic kits were photographed on the Gorre and Daphetid.

Personally, I think we should view model railroading like literature. There's nonfiction which parallels prototype railroading. Some of it is very dry, precise and accurate. This is analogous to the model railroad that depicts such and such division of the ATSF on July 5, 1949, and it better not have a car or locomotive that was wrecked the day before! Then there's a more accessible nonfiction that's like prototype model railroading done more casually. It's the ATSF, but not a particular train nor day nor division.

Fiction and freelance model railroading are similar, but fiction runs the gamut from realistic to comic books and the Gorre and Daphetid was somewhere in the middle of that continuum. Of late, the trend is for freelance model railroads to be more plausible, but I think there's a place for a fiction that's more of a caricature, like the kind of railroad you'd like to see rather than one you're likely to see. That, to me, is the G&D.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 09 2022 :  10:41:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
G&D was one of the two layouts in the magazines that influenced me the most. The other was the Virginian & Ohio. The G&D represented all the fantastic places I always wanted to visit. The V&O represented those places where I had already been, and I could easily picture the atmosphere in the scenes, because I'd been to places just like that many times. That's what happens when you live in greater Appalachia, and have a dad who is also a railfan.

I've always said I freelance because the railroads I liked didn't run the locomotives I liked through the places I liked.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 08 2022 :  9:05:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice scene. Great place to visit for a day trip in real life.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: The White Horse of Uffington Topic Next Topic: Checker game by the tweezers . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000