Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 DJH Coronation build, review and gallery!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Domino Sugar Hopper Peeling Topic Next Topic: DCC command station  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - March 02 2021 :  12:41:46 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Here's one I've been working on for close to a year now! After seeing this kit in their catalog, I just couldn't resist getting one. It was a lot of work to build this and make it look just right, but it was worth it!

For the build this time, I thought I'd try doing it montage style and in 4K. I ended up having to edit over 200 clips and almost 2 hours of footage into a single condensed video. I think it turned out well, but I'm not going to do that again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gdAul1i4I

And I also put together a quick review video for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rR9VsH2ZzU

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on March 02 2021 12:45:28 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 02 2021 :  01:05:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That.is.amazing. Of course you couldn't resist, that is art on wheels both
in prototype and in model form. I could not imagine being able to
fashion something like that. Not ever. Fine video, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 02 2021 :  01:30:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Wow! Very nice detail work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - March 02 2021 :  10:08:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Your work is truly inspirational.

You always do an excellent job on kits/projects. Do you ever have any issues painting the smaller details? I seem to run into a lot of errors when it comes to painting some of the molded on details (handrails for example). Seems like no matter what I do I can’t get the darn things straight.

Beautiful model. Again, really really well done.

I wish Roundhouse/Bowser still made kits. I hate the finite selection of kits on eBay. I want to build a large steamer (like a Northern) but the Bowser kits are $200-$300.

Also, I’m building a Hobbtytown of Boston E7 and I was wondering if you knew what type of kadee coupler those take.

Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 02 2021 :  5:28:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Fantastic build!

I was wondering about your soldering iron. You were getting out a lot of heat, fast.

What are the wattage and temperature?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 02 2021 :  9:27:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Whoa! Nice work! Your skills are truly amazing!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 02 2021 :  10:25:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now you need to add a headlight & bell
http://www.railalbum.co.uk/steam-locomotives/lms-coronation-streamlined-2.htm
the real Coronation was scrapped in May 1963
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 02 2021 :  11:13:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Colorful engine.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - March 03 2021 :  12:25:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks everyone!

Chops124, it all comes with practice! Even just a few years ago, I don't think it would've turned out as well if I'd built it then.

kristofer4301, painting small molded on details is hard. I have to keep my hand as steady as possible, and even then, I tend to get paint going where I don't want. I've found recently that when the paint is mostly dry, I can carefully take a razor and scratch away unwanted paint for the most part without noticeably damaging the other paint underneath. Things may still need touch up after, but it's not as bad.

scsshaggy, I have a Hakko FP-102 with interchangeable tips. The power is rated at 75W, and I think I had it at its minimum of 650F. Using the biggest tip, I made the solder joints on a couple white metal parts as fast as possible to avoid damaging them. A lower temperature iron would've worked better on those parts, but I got a good deal on this one.

microbusss, that would go great on a B&O layout next to the Royal Blue passenger train! Interesting note on that one, the engine in that photo is actually the Duchess of Hamilton, but they swapped the plates in order to keep the real Coronation in the UK. The Duchess still exists in a museum with the later red and gold paint, and it looks truly amazing!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - March 03 2021 :  08:54:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Very cool looking locomotive and very nice workmanship. So very British. I saw the Flying Scotsmen when it toured the US in the early 70s. I always thought the colors (colours?) made them special.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 03 2021 :  08:57:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks, Dearth, for all the info.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - March 03 2021 :  7:52:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
Very cool looking locomotive and very nice workmanship. So very British. I saw the Flying Scotsmen when it toured the US in the early 70s. I always thought the colors (colours?) made them special.

Originally posted by Gary B - March 03 2021 :  08:54:39 AM

If there's one thing the British always got right on their steam engines, it was style. They had class and personality like no other.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Domino Sugar Hopper Peeling Topic Next Topic: DCC command station  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000