Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Name for new layout.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Best decade? Topic Next Topic: Why buy brass?  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 11 2020 :  9:54:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Need a name for the new portable, but not quite micro, 1880’s layout. Already done Harte’s Mill, of El Paso, so this will be somewhere west of Denver. Please vote Yea or Nay on “Mormon’s Gulch,” or your own suggestions.

Choices:

Mormon’s Gulch
Canyon City
Styrofoam Mesa
Blue Hill Central

(Anonymous Vote)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 11 2020 :  10:11:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
I like Mormon's Gultch reminds me of Utah...

Canyon city is great too!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2020 :  12:02:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mmmmmm. Thanks, BNSFIA. I am neutral on the subject of religion, as such, but come across the Mormon culture a lot in reading and media, without looking for it. Even a Sherlock Holmes mystery had much reference to that end, as well as an 1880’s travelogue, “Westward by Rail.” My fear is to unintentionally ignite controversy by the mere mention of a specific culture, in today’s climate. Perhaps Canyon City is more neutral. BTW, have you been able to resume your layout since the move?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 12 2020 :  02:27:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Heck, I doubt anyone on here cares about such little "controversies", I miss the old days when you could do as you feel!
I have yet to set it back up, but expect an update very very soon!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 12 2020 :  5:22:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Canyon City is a great name, although Styrofoam Mesa might be best.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 19 2020 :  4:34:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Canyon City is more south of Denver than west, and you'd really have a competitive environment with the Rio Grande and Santa Fe already fighting a war for control of the place. Maybe while they're shooting it out, you could sneak in and build your railroad and leave them both holding the bag.

If you want it west of Denver, Mormon Gulch would make the most sense about 300 miles west of Denver. It could interchange with the Denver and Salt Lake.

Styrofoam Mesa might be a trademark violation that pits your little railroad against mighty Dow Chemical in court. Maybe Expanded Polystyrene Mesa?

Blue Hills Central would sound great on the plains or out beyond the Rockies.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 19 2020 :  8:12:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
I like Mormon's Gulch, because it reflects the time period and location you've chosen. I know the current trend in changing names is catching like wildfire, and maybe it is needed in some instances. But if you're in the 1880's, such modern tribulations are 140 years in the future.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 87  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 20 2020 :  01:16:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks for the input. Expandable Foam Layout has a certain, ah, ring to
it. Will need to form an advisory committee. I suppose my mind veered
into Mormon's Gulch largely because I was listening to an audio book
of Sherlock Holmes, which surprisingly, has an entire mystery tale based
around the original Mormons of Utah, as well as having read an interesting
few chapters by a contemporary journalist who wrote about Salt Lake
City when he travelled by train over the newly completed Trans Con in
the 1870's. I suppose I could with anything other than "Mormon."
Pritzle's Purgatory, Barstrom's Butte, Murphy's Mesa...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Best decade? Topic Next Topic: Why buy brass?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000