Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 4 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My layout, the Redwoods and Pacific
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Longvallon RR Topic Next Topic: Franklin & South Manchester  

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 03 2014 :  01:30:36 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
It's a new year so I'll start my own layout thread to show what I'm up to. I've been building on it since 1996 and it most of the trackwork and electrical is completed. There is also a fair bit of scenery. The railroad and the places that I'm modeling are fictional, but imagine a line in California that starts in at the Monterey canneries, goes over a mountain and then to a large city by the bay.

Here is the cannery section so far:

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 03 2014 :  09:00:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Thomas love the perspective of this scene ,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 03 2014 :  12:28:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very nice Though I think you needs some roofs on the buildings & a mermaid under the docks
That one building on the left looks like a airplane hanger
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 03 2014 :  12:44:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I don't recall ever seeing a control panel surrounded by scenery. That's an interesting idea and could possibly lend itself to a number of situations.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 03 2014 :  2:35:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
very nice Though I think you needs some roofs on the buildings & a mermaid under the docks
That one building on the left looks like a airplane hanger

Originally posted by microbusss - January 03 2014 :  12:28:27 PM

Yup, roofs are coming soon. You are right about the O-scale airplane hangar. It will get new windows and details to make it HO scale.

The mermaid doesn't like the docks. She prefers to hang out by the lighthouse.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 03 2014 :  6:08:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want one now
Now you needs SpongeBob someplace
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 03 2014 :  6:09:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The detail and realism is amazing. It took me a while to figure out where in the first picture the model buildings ended and the backdrop started.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - January 04 2014 :  12:38:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
The detail and realism is amazing. It took me a while to figure out where in the first picture the model buildings ended and the backdrop started.

Originally posted by DaCheez - January 03 2014 :  6:09:10 PM

Yes it's incredible how a good backdrop can really transform a scene. It's like the brain needs it to believe it.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 04 2014 :  3:20:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi thomas,love that layout as said previously,and the great perspective,you have taken time to do it,and my brain for one was fooled ken
Edited by - catfordken on January 04 2014 3:21:00 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 05 2014 :  7:39:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That scene is cool. So many detailing possibilities. Regarding that mermaid . . . we were at my 87 year old mother-in-law's home this weekend and it occasioned that she told me the very first "dirty" joke she ever heard. First, let me very carefully clarify that this little joke is not intended to disparage any race or ethnicity or species. So . . . here it is . . . "What did the Indian say to the mermaid?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 05 2014 :  7:41:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
"How?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 06 2014 :  12:37:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
This past weekend I worked on a couple of curved bridges at the end of the canyon. I used girders on the top track with plain wooden piers. On the next track down I made a concrete arch bridge from cardboard with foam core piers. As with many bridges on my layout, these bridges are just facades glued onto the roadbed. My inspiration for the concrete arch bridge is the "No Hands Bridge" near Auburn, CA.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 06 2014 :  2:25:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice Thomas. Noting that you said you'd been working on this layout since 1996. It is amazing how much time it takes to settle in to what you want to do. Makes you want to tell new modelers not to get too excited about deciding what to do until you've got a couple years under your belt.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 06 2014 :  4:02:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice Thomas. Noting that you said you'd been working on this layout since 1996. It is amazing how much time it takes to settle in to what you want to do. Makes you want to tell new modelers not to get too excited about deciding what to do until you've got a couple years under your belt.

Originally posted by Barry - October 06 2014 :  2:25:23 PM

Love those bridges Thomas, along with the breathtaking scenery. In my opinion, nothing adds more interest to a layout than a bridge soaring over some steep drop-off. Great work!

Barry, I agree with your thoughts on how interests evolve. I started out modeling the UP, then settled on L&N...which I am largely sticking with .... but I have noticed how I am slowly gravitating more and more to local WV railroads - specifically ones my dad worked for (NYC/PC/Conrail).

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 06 2014 :  8:40:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very Nice, Thomas!! A San Francisco treat!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 07 2014 :  01:51:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Boy, I could see that Jerry, modeling the road your Dad worked for and then modeling him doing whatever his gig was. Seems like it could be a cool shadowbox.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 07 2014 :  11:58:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Barry - October 06 2014 :  2:25:23 PM

Love those bridges Thomas, along with the breathtaking scenery. In my opinion, nothing adds more interest to a layout than a bridge soaring over some steep drop-off. Great work!

Barry, I agree with your thoughts on how interests evolve. I started out modeling the UP, then settled on L&N...which I am largely sticking with .... but I have noticed how I am slowly gravitating more and more to local WV railroads - specifically ones my dad worked for (NYC/PC/Conrail).

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - October 06 2014 :  4:02:54 PM

Thanks, yes I agree there is something about a bridge soaring over a deep chasm. The roadbed and track have been there for a long time but it sure is more dramatic now.

In my case it wasn't so much my evolving interests as it was just having started something in '96 that was WAY too big. The layout is still pretty close to the original plans I drew up way back when. For the last several years I've been focusing on trackwork and electrical and making good progress on that. But I was showing the layout to some friends recently and that sparked my interest to return to the canyon and dress up those hanging roadbeds.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 08 2015 :  1:24:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Here is a recent shot of the end of the canyon, showing some of the progress I made this year.

-- Thomas

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 08 2015 :  9:21:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Holy Shamoly, Batman! This is pretty darn cool.
Shades of John Allen, with its own unique vision.
The mermaid is a great touch, and that PFE
express is just great. Hope to see more!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - November 09 2015 :  02:20:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
really excellent :D
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 10 2015 :  11:44:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Thanks for the compliments. You are indeed right that John Allen is a big influence for me, especially when it comes to floor-to-ceiling scenery and bridges.

Here is a project that I worked on over the summer. It's my version of McArthur-Burney falls with water seeping out of the rocks. It's taller and narrower than the real falls, but I like how it's turning out. The water is modeled with polyester batting.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 11 2015 :  12:08:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
aside the mermaid
What other silly things are on your layout?

IF & when I do my layout there will be silly & odd things on it

Edited by - microbusss on November 11 2015 12:09:27 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 11 2015 :  10:22:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That waterfall with water seeping from halfway down the cliff is an unusual touch.

You see "weeping walls" in the real world, but not so often modeled.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 11 2015 :  11:29:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Microbuss, my favorite silly thing on the layout is a group of ninjas scaling one of the bridges. I'm not sure what they're up to but it doesn't look good.

Here's an earlier thread about silliness on the Redwoods and Pacific: http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10695

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 11 2015 :  8:22:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That scene is pretty convincing Thomas. And at least in the photo, that cotton batting looks like spray. I'm not seein' the mermaid though.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 14 2015 :  4:27:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I took some time this weekend to automate a Tyco crossing gate with a Tortoise switch machine motor. I haven't gotten around to installing bulbs yet though. I built a delay circuit with 555 timers to drive the Tortoise and it is triggered with IRDOT between-the-rails infrared detectors. It also triggers bell sound that I recorded onto a Radio Shack 20-second recording device. Here is a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwk4I5xI4OQ

The bulbs are next. I have another 555 circuit for that and I'm just waiting for the LEDs to come in the mail.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 16 2015 :  7:05:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice layout Thomas. That was a fun video to watch. Be interesting to see a diagram of your layout . . . it wraps around a room?

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 21 2015 :  11:11:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I finished the crossing gate kitbash by adding LEDs. Here is a short video showing the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YSJmX8FQ6c

I replaced the dummy lights with 3mm red LEDs. I also added tiny LEDs to the gate itself. That was a big challenge because I had to find a way to power the LEDs without restricting the movement. I ended up looping the fine wire around the base. I plan to paint the wire a light tan color so that it visually disappears somewhat.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 21 2015 :  11:14:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Barry, I don't have a diagram (yet) but yes, a portion wraps around the walls in my basement. There are three sections, a Cannery Row section, a mountain section with floor-to-ceiling scenery and a bay section which is around the walls. The mainline is 142 feet long end-to-end.

quote:
Nice layout Thomas. That was a fun video to watch. Be interesting to see a diagram of your layout . . . it wraps around a room?

Originally posted by Barry - December 16 2015 :  7:05:51 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 21 2015 :  11:52:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice work with the lights.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 24 2015 :  11:56:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh yeah!
I forgot about that section
& yes still WANT that Star Tours ship!!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 02 2016 :  5:25:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Very interesting angles and scenes in your photos. Look forward to more.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5842  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 05 2016 :  12:08:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Astonishing work. the GD on steroids. Waterfall is
astonishing. A guy standing over my shoulder as I
was flipping through your thread had this to say:
"Holy carp." (Flip the vowel and consonant).

Edited by - Chops124 on February 05 2016 12:11:40 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 27 2016 :  1:01:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
A short log train on a high spindly bridge.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 27 2016 :  3:46:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
!!!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 27 2016 :  5:14:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool view Thomas.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - March 01 2019 :  8:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
This year I'm working on a section of the layout that will be a city scene, with many tall art deco buildings. This section has been an empty hole since I started the layout two decades ago, so I'm excited to be working on this. I've always wanted a trolley loop, and by coincidence I recently inherited all of my dad's extensive Märklin collection as he is getting older and is downsizing his home. So I decided to create the several loops using Märklin 3-rail track. The loops will be fully automated and controlled by an arduino. This will have special meaning for me since I grew up with Märklin and my tinkering with my dad's trains when I was a kid played a large part in me getting a degree in engineering.

It's taken me about a month of evenings to design and mount the tracks with all of the wiring associated with it. The next step will be to program the arduino and hook it all up. Eventually I plan to kitbash some trolleys using Märklin mechanisms.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 01 2019 :  9:57:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Nifty layout. Keep up the good work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 01 2019 :  10:00:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good! Great work.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 01 2022 :  2:33:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I decided to try live streaming my railroad so I started with a Facebook live event. It was a bit of a challenge to run the trains while doing the narrating/producing/directing but I think it turned out OK. There was one coach that kept derailing and it's now in the shop for repairs.

For this first live stream I talked about influences and inspirations for the layout. If you are interested, here is the recording of the event.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 01 2022 :  11:02:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5842  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 03 2022 :  6:47:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow - your layout is quite impressive! Thanks to your video, I just found out about the Gorre and Daphetid model railroad, which I never heard of before, but am now totally blown away. Your application of the "floor to ceiling" principle on your layout is stellar.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - July 03 2022 :  9:08:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Layouts like these are the reason I build mountain railroads. I'd love to do floor to celing scenery, but it's hard when you live in an apartment and the layout has to break down for moves.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Longvallon RR Topic Next Topic: Franklin & South Manchester  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000