Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Tyco 358C Domino Sugar "Sample" car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO_prototypes Virginian GP-20 Topic Next Topic: Pre-production Tyco Midnight Special Shark  

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 21 2012 :  6:57:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Does anyone out there have this car? I got this from Bob Beers, and it came in this box labeled "Sample ok" on the top. This car is made with white plastic and has a lot of paint flakes on the sides where you can see the white plastic under the paint. No broken ladders or such to make me think it was mishandled, which caused the paint to flake. I wonder if Tyco production used a yellow plastic or something that would other wise make this car stand out more?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 21 2012 :  7:33:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I think I have one of the Domino Sugar hoppers somewhere. If I remember correctly, the logos were notorious for flaking off...I don't think the yellow paint was though

I don't have my collection with me at the moment...hopefully someone else can comment on the plastic colour
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 21 2012 :  7:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have a Tyco Domino hopper in very nice condition. One of my excelent boxed pieces. The labels commonly flaked "badly" on some of these. I've not seen one where the yellow has flaked though. Mine is in storage about 45 miles from here so that is all I can really add.

I've thought about why some cars flaked & others didn't. Can't come up with a definate.

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 21 2012 :  9:10:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I have one in VG condition and one missing a stirrup and flaking logo. I touched-up the logo with acrylic paint and replaced the stirrup with one from another hopper.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - March 22 2012 :  2:58:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
This car and the Ajax car both suffer from peeling white paint. I'm not sure what causes it, as obviously not all are affected. But I remember receiving a perfectly MIB Domino hopper, so mint the box was absolutely crisp. No apparent defects with the car inside... but when I removed it from the box, the white Domino logo on one side split across the center and peeled away in halves before my eyes... like the melting nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was that surreal. I was able to press the paint down and secure it with tape, you'd have to look hard to notice anything. I later obtained an unblemished example.

Have no idea what causes this. The Tyco cars most likely to have paint problems aren't even cars, but locomotives that use a green shell: PC and early BN units epecially. Finding perfect examples of those is near impossible, the paint chips so easily compared to any other roadname.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 23 2012 :  05:31:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Have no idea what causes this. The Tyco cars most likely to have paint problems aren't even cars, but locomotives that use a green shell: PC and early BN units epecially. Finding perfect examples of those is near impossible, the paint chips so easily compared to any other roadname.

Some engines with yellow paint seem to suffer from this too. I've seen at least three of the Via F-units that Mantua made in the late 70's with badly cracked nose paint. I also have a pair of Tyco Red Box Rio Grande units with this problem

Edited by - DaCheez on March 23 2012 05:32:22 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 23 2012 :  10:15:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Paint & painting and always the questions of why. In vocational school autobody we were taught that if you have a problem it is something that you done wrong. Amateur painters always blame "bad paint". In the auto industry, bad paint doesn't exisist. If paint flows thru a strainer it is good. If you're one that doesn't use strainers you shouldn't be painting anyway.

As for the model train paint issues, who knows exactly how the process was done. Adhesion problems or poor paint? Maybe the guy mixing the yellow colors wasn't putting any binder in it! Crazy that one color sticks but the yellow peels & flakes.

The nice thing about model paints such as Testors is that they have been made to be used by everyone, with a lot of binder, and the abilty to be used over wax or slighly contaminated surfaces. It's like paint forgiveness...

I had a buddy that everytime he bought a can of paint, he'd get a can that had a lot of runs in it!

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 24 2012 :  06:00:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
MISLEAD...

In the auto industry, i.e. 1978-1980 GM cars and trucks had a black-freckle paint problem...

When cars/trucks are painted, the body/metal is charged negative while the paint/sprayer is charged positive... lead as the binder was the important ingredient. The auto's paint flaked because of a lack of lead. Charged + Lead = best adhesion.

A lead substitute for plastic application? Keys are made of lead... do not allow a child or infant play with them. Older key-cutting businesses do not always heed this dangerous warning... no guards for excess metal (lead) to be isolated. Walmart has the process done with a booth to reduce lead particles from floating to the personnel assisting your key-cutting.
My father-in-law used to cut keys... he died of cancer and also had Parkinson's disease... Lead is not good for you. Tire/rim balancing... lead.

Sorta off the subject with my input, but lead and weak plastic constitution would be a good culprit of flaking paint on metals and plastics. Plastic that has had the paint applied when temperatures are too low also contribute to flaking.

Last but least... light/sun radiation plays havoc as well as the atmosphere on plastic and similar composits of vinyl/poly-carbonates and petroleum-based hardeners.

Too much info I can delete this entry.
John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 24 2012 :  11:45:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
MISLEAD...

In the auto industry, i.e. 1978-1980 GM cars and trucks had a black-freckle paint problem...

When cars/trucks are painted, the body/metal is charged negative while the paint/sprayer is charged positive... lead as the binder was the important ingredient. The auto's paint flaked because of a lack of lead. Charged + Lead = best adhesion.

Originally posted by zebrails - March 24 2012 :  06:00:09 AM

Gotta agree with you there, John. My parents bought a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix (), and it chipped if you looked at it cross-eyed.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 25 2012 :  12:41:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
don't forget Chrysler had the same problem too I still see those vehicles with paint coming off around here sometimes
Oh found my pic of the Domino car

Mine still looks freaky NEW!

Edited by - microbusss on March 29 2012 12:21:53 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 29 2012 :  01:27:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
What many doesn't know is that almost every car company in the world, uses PPG paint products from the factory. Makes a person wonder why one particular company will have paint problems...and the others don't?

Another thing is that most paints still have some lead in them. PPG has been removing lead in the last few years and even has LF (lead free) marked on some labels.

Lead was an ingredient found in mixing colors (usually whites). Lead is not used or intended as a binder. Binder is normally a resin type base that the pigment is added to. The pigment is the color(s) used to mix a particular color.

If you've noticed, the cars with troubled paint peels from the prime coat, not the prime coat from the metal. Over time once the primer is exposed rust may be seen forming in these areas.

Previous Topic: TYCO_prototypes Virginian GP-20 Topic Next Topic: Pre-production Tyco Midnight Special Shark  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000