Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Ephrata Valley Railroad UPDATES
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The New Green Light RR Topic Next Topic: Ephrata Valley RR
Page: of 5

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 03 2019 :  4:54:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I don't know what I hadn't thought of this sooner!

This thread is for everything related to my HO-Scale autumn-themed layout, The Ephrata Valley Railroad.

Please enjoy all succeeding posts, and updates, to the Ephrata Valley Railroad.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 03 2019 :  4:56:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NEW LOCOMOTIVE ADDITION: Santa Fe "Yellow Warbonnet" GP38-2's #3500 & #3600

A pair of NEW locomotives have been added to the roster - Santa Fe "Yellow Warbonnet" GP38-2's #3500 & #3600! Both of these "Geeps" were produced by LifeLike, and #3500 is powered while #3600 is unpowered (or a dummy.)

These diesels look awesome on the Ephrata Valley Railroad, and contribute to my layout's HO-Scale representation of the beginnings of 2nd Generation diesel power. A photo of the Santa Fe GP38-2's has been added to the "Locomotives" page, while a video is forthcoming. Stay tuned.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 03 2019 :  7:57:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great idea. Excellent photo, one I'd surely use on my imaginary
Tyco Calendar. The blue and yellow War Bonnets amidst the
brightly fallen leaves is one of the best Tyco photo shoots yet.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 03 2019 :  10:52:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks, Chops! I truly appreciate it. Those GP38-2's are LifeLikes though...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 24 2019 :  10:33:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Replacing the present Ephrata Coal Company

I've been considering replacing the Ephrata Coal Company with another more accurate coal mine structure for quite some time, since the Bachmann snap-together building resembled more of a Coaling Tower to reload coal into steam locomotives as opposed to an actual coal mine. I attempted to amplify the realism of the Ephrata Coal Co. by adding a bit of weathering as well as a chute connecting the Coaling Tower to the rock wall. Nonetheless, I finally felt it was time for an upgrade.

So, recently, I began researching into different HO-Scale coal mine kits....and was drawn to Model Power's "Blue Coal Depot" structure; within merely a week of my inquisitiveness, I snagged a brand new Blue Coal Depot kit from Ebay for about $21.00 shipped, and last Friday, I commenced on building it! It took about 3 hours or so to complete, and I'm extremely impressed with the level of detail in this coal depot. I do plan on further customizing the "new" Ephrata Coal Company through the use of decals and HO-Scale workers, but first, I know I need to place it on the layout because I have a feeling I'll need to modify the track in order for the building to fit on the plot previously occupied by the "old" Ephrata Coal Company. Stay tuned.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 25 2019 :  11:05:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Tyco had a more elaborate one once
it was longer & bigger

AHM & Model Power made it too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 26 2019 :  02:04:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very interesting piece, what with the "log cabin" style siding. Looks
pretty crowded on the EVRR, it will be interesting to see how you
can wedge that piece in!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 27 2019 :  9:43:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
lol, I know, Chops. Microbusss, you're right - there were some really awesome coal mine kits produced, but with a 4'x4' layout like the EVRR, my options were limited.

Installing the "NEW" Ephrata Coal Co. - PART 1

Upon placing the completed "new" Ephrata Coal Company in the exact same area where the former had been located, I immediately noticed that it was going to be a tight fit. Because of my layout's space limitations, it became certain that in order to install the new coal company, I would need to remove both the turnout and siding connected to the inner line. The loss of the inner line siding is not a big deal, since I never really had the opportunity to practice switching operations anyway, and the "old" coal company did not allow anything larger than a 2 bay hopper to be stored beneath it, due to once more, the limited space between the siding and the actual inner line.

In noticing the slight curve to the turnout, I pondered that a shortened 45 degree curve should perform good enough to connect the inner line track in place of the turnout. Now, because my track is mainly hot glued down, the "removal" of the siding was easy to do with my bare hands, while a screwdriver was required to pry-up the turnout. The remaining blobs of hot glue I either pulled off the green felt mat "grass" with my fingers or with pliers, so as to prevent any obstructions to new track and scenery. Next, I marked an HO-Scale 45 degree curve track with a black marker where the turnout ended, and with a hacksaw as well as my dad's assistance, I successfully cut the curve at the marked points, and then worked on adding it to the inner line. After some experimentation with my Santa Fe "Yellow Warbonnet" GP38-2's, I finally was able to find the "right" orientation of the curve to prevent derailments, and nailed the track down.

Here's a photo of the inner line after the removal of the siding and turnout:

Lastly, I re-installed the "new" Ephrata Coal Company in the site, and it is now a perfect fit between the inner and outer lines. The next time I get the chance to return to the layout, I'll work on adding details to the Ephrata Coal Company as well as rejuvenate the scenery in the region.

Edited by - RP model railroads on January 27 2019 9:44:24 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 27 2019 :  11:46:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It came out great, and fits with the surrounding structures nicer.
Good job! Was the previous coal mine a Tyco piece? If so, is it
going over to the Pure Tyco layout?

Edited by - Chops124 on January 27 2019 11:52:08 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 28 2019 :  9:40:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you very much, Chops!! No, the previous Coaling Tower was a Bachmann "snap-together" kit....so I do not know what I'll do with it just yet. It really does hold sentimental value for me so I'm pretty sure I won't get rid of it - since it served the EVRR for about 4 years and was one of the first structures added to the layout.

Here's a photo of it newly added, when the Ephrata Valley Railroad was just getting started, back around 2015 or so.

Enjoy the latest update:

Installing the "NEW" Ephrata Coal Co. - PART 2

In returning to the layout, I first began some landscaping work - starting with removing a majority of the old black "ballast" sand mixed with pieces of imitation coal. Then, I sprinkled a new layer of black ballast over the entire area. Digressing from scenery, I began the process of adding workers to the "new" Ephrata Coal Company, which was a tedious process since each HO-Scale worker had been attached with hot-glue to the "old" structure, resulting in unsightly glue blobs that had to be removed. Using an X-Acto knife, this worked fairly well, although I lost 3 workers to dismemberment.

Then, using Liquid Cement, I attached each of the workers in various places around the Ephrata Coal Company...and of course, the Liquid Cement will dry clear, resulting in an overall better scene -- exactly what I hoped for.

Next, I returned to landscaping and began sprinkling different autumn-colored bits of Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage on top of the fresh black ballast, followed by several shakes of Orange coarse turf, and lastly several shakes of Medium Green coarse turf, to produce the finished product you see below. The present Ephrata Coal Company looks much more realistic than the previous, and really adds character to Ephrata Valley Railroad!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 28 2019 :  11:04:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Place is a beehive of activity, but sure sounds like a
dangerous place to work!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 30 2019 :  9:15:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, thanks Chops! Yes, coal mines were quite dangerous, but luckily, due to advances in technology that would have played a factor in the 50's to '70's....I bet a lot of machinery became a part of the actual mining, while workers oversaw the process and of course worked on maintaining the coal company/delivery of coal by railroad.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 30 2019 :  9:18:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Hot-gluing all telephone poles

Due to recent progress on the layout, I finally got annoyed with the effects of not affixing telephone poles - they easily fall over when the platform moves. Go figure.

LOL, while that should have been recognizable from the get-go, I finally have hot-glued every telephone pole. No more downed wires on the Ephrata Valley Railroad. ;)

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 30 2019 :  11:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Can you hear me now????????????

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 31 2019 :  6:10:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Can you hear me now????????????

Originally posted by Chops124 - January 30 2019 :  11:16:04 PM

?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 31 2019 :  8:37:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/OPwPo-IAQ-E

Sorry, I am referring to this
commercial back when cell
phones were still pretty new.

This in reference to the upgrade of
EVRR's telephone poles.

Edited by - Chops124 on January 31 2019 8:38:42 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 31 2019 :  9:26:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Oh, lol, I get it now.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2019 :  6:55:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Adding Station Accessories

It's often the "little details" of any train setup that make the largest impact. So were my thoughts upon realizing that both major stations on the Ephrata Valley Railroad (Schuylkill Valley Freight Station & Nazareth Crossing Passenger Station) lacked some essential accessories -- such as baggage wagons, actual baggage, freight carts, etc. Therefore, I did some researching, and found a vintage LifeLike product = HO SCENICS Station Accessories going cheap on Ebay, which I promptly purchased. Upon its arrival, I determined first of all to "do it right" so to speak in that all accessories would be affixed to the stations with Liquid Cement, and secondly, that I would begin by gluing certain HO-Scale baggage to carts and then after allowing the glue to set for a few minutes, glue the carts to the station.

Doing just that, I then allowed both stations to completely dry for 2 days or so off the layout, and added them back to the layout afterwards. The final result looks great.

P.S. I also used the Liquid Cement to glue down the orange cart and a trash can that were both already present on the Schuylkill Valley Station prior, but had never been affixed.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 01 2019 :  8:01:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool
I needs a set of them platforms

isn't it funny the Roadside Inn (HoJo) is the station?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2019 :  9:35:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks busss! LOL, I didn't realize that until now...it does look like Roadside Inns

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 02 2019 :  12:32:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks busss! LOL, I didn't realize that until now...it does look like Roadside Inns

Originally posted by RP model railroads - February 01 2019 :  9:35:22 PM

my idea was setting it up near tracks but move it back some so that the front entrance can be used & pretend it was that station only reused as the restaurant

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 02 2019 :  8:54:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, that could actually work. Oh well...looks like the people of Ephrata will have to live off donuts and coffee from the Hole-In-One Donut Shop.

Adding three '70's style Ford pick-up trucks

After searching for quite some time, I finally got a good deal on three LifeLike 1970's style Ford pick-up trucks, and added them in various places around the layout.

The brown pick-up truck was placed in the driveway of the small brown house on the outskirts of town.

The red pick-up truck was placed next to the Guard Tower, to represent the Watchman's ride.

The blue pick-up truck was placed near the construction site...and will play a critical role in an updated scene.

Edited by - RP model railroads on February 02 2019 9:00:02 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 03 2019 :  02:59:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Really nice vintage accessories. Love the look of that
Old School stuff.,

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 03 2019 :  9:09:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops, and agreed.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 05 2019 :  4:30:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
New Construction Vehicles

One of the best individual "scenes" on my layout that I felt still needed improvement was the construction site. Although the addition of people/workers less than 2 years ago enlivened the scene, I still was of the opinion that "Matchbox" construction vehicles just didn't cut it in terms of realism. The issue was, however, the only HO-Scale products I could find at the time were models of heavy-duty CAT machinery which would be completely out-of-sync with my time frame of the late '50's to the mid '70's.

So, as usual, I did some digging around on Ebay and recently found listings of various Boley Heavy Construction vehicles. Ultimately, I selected an orange excavator, yellow crane, and red drill.

After they all arrived in the mail, I began adding them to the construction site. The excavator I put in the exact same place as its Matchbox predecessor (except I put rocks in the bucket as having been removed from the pile,) the drill I placed between two of the homes under construction to serve the purpose of creating holes for pipe installation, and lastly the crane I put in front of the home where the second floor was still being added. By the way...that blue Ford pick-up became the foreman's truck.

In review of my work, I've very satisfied not only with the realism of the construction vehicles, but also the fact that they appear older in style, complementing my modeling time frame perfectly. And yes, down the road, I will be replacing that dump truck. :D

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 05 2019 :  6:50:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Perfect fit. Never heard of Boley or seen these items, ever. They
look straight out of the Tyco playbook.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 06 2019 :  3:43:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops! I too had no clue these existed until I stumbled across them on Ebay.
In fact, I credit Ebay with literally the best deals I have ever gotten on locomotives, rolling stock, and accessories.

Adding Railway Workers

I've been storing a bag of light and dark gray HO-Scale railroad workers for quite some time now. It's about time to place them on the layout.

I began by gluing this Conductor to Nazareth Crossing.

Next, I added these workers to the Schuylkill Valley Station - supervising all freight shipments on the layout.

Lastly, I couldn't resist affixing this climbing worker to the ladder located on the Guard Tower - the watchman arriving right on time to begin his duties.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 06 2019 :  4:47:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Beautiful work, as always. Total Old School.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 06 2019 :  5:23:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 07 2019 :  11:24:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NEW Locomotive Addition: GM&O GP38-2 #744

Another NEW Locomotive has been added to the roster: Gulf Mobile & Ohio (GM&O) GP38-2 #744! This "geep" is a vintage LifeLike (first released in 1978) and represents yet another railroad to now be serving on the Ephrata Valley Railroad - the Gulf Mobile & Ohio.

This has to be by far one of my most-favorite locomotives due to its awesome livery, and I'm quite surprised I obtained it for only $22.00, shipped, noting the scarcity of HO-Scale products made for the GM&O.

A photo of GM&O GP38-2 #744 has been added to the "Locomotives" page, while a video is forthcoming. Stay tuned.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 07 2019 :  1:02:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wonderful piece.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 10 2019 :  11:09:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank You, Chops!

Video of GM&O GP38-2 #744 operating on the Ephrata Valley Railroad - Enjoy!

Adding Firefighters

Another scene on the layout I've been chomping at the bit to revamp was the Ephrata Fire House. Although the yellow American LaFrance fire trucks marked "EFD" looked great...there was still some critical action missing...HO-Scale Firemen! Recently, I won a lot of 8 firefighters for a good price on Ebay, and as soon as they arrived, I couldn't wait to add them to the Ephrata Fire Company.

Realizing that hot-gluing HO-Scale people into black ballast didn't work at all, I got ingenious and used a screwdriver to make an indent in the ballast first, and then glued each of the firefighters down. Lastly, I sprinkled some fresh ballast stone down to cover the entire fire station parking lot, re-added the fire trucks, and added some fall-colored foliage alongside the white fence separating the Ephrata Fire Company from a nearby residence.

I'm very pleased with the Ephrata Fire Company scene....looks like the firemen just returned from a call in town and are reorganizing the equipment and cleaning the firetrucks.

Edited by - RP model railroads on February 10 2019 11:11:07 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 12 2019 :  1:54:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Adding unique loads to flat cars

For several months, I've held onto empty flat cars desiring to find a "load" for them, until I became inspired and struck out to create my own.

The first became a fire truck flat car. To begin, I took my loose Mack fire engine, marked the flat car where the tires ended, and using Liquid Cement, glued HO-Scale "wooden beams" to the flat car in front of the markings. Lastly, I glued the fire engine down between the 2 pieces. Success!

The second became a propeller-hauling flat car, thanks to the below image (credit to original photographer) that I stumbled across on Google Photos.

Using 2 large black LEGO helicopter propellers, I commenced. First, I modeled the support beams in the photo through the use of the same HO-Scale "wooden beams" as above, glued the propellers down to the flatcar, and then glued 2 pieces of wood running horizontally across the top of each of the 2 stacks. While I did not add string to represent the rope-tie downs, I still am quite pleased with the final result. Please bear in mind that while I was attempting to model the image above, I did not strive for perfect realism, so. :D

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 13 2019 :  9:05:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Video of NYC C-Liners #6603 & #6604 operating on the Ephrata Valley Railroad - Enjoy!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 14 2019 :  2:55:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yet another update.....

Completing the Construction Site

The latest trip to the train store yielded, among other goodies, a LifeLike SCENEMASTER '50's Ford cement truck, 2 SCENEMASTER '50's Ford dump trucks, and SCENICS "Road Barriers" -- the perfect things to put the finishing touches on the Construction Site scene.

I began by adding the vehicles: the cement truck I placed in front of the 2nd home-under-construction, where a worker can be seen pushing a wheelbarrow. The blue dump truck I placed near the orange excavator, while the red dump truck is seen driving away from the Construction Site with a load of removed rock.

Next, I affixed the construction signs with hot glue - starting off with 3 barricades blocking off the top part of the road leading to the Construction Site (I had to move the Union Pacific tractor-trailer to snap that first photo. :D) Then, I glued smaller barricades blocking off the space between each home, with one sign reading "Danger" where the red drill excavator is at work, while another sign reads "Excavation" where the orange excavator is located. Lastly, I put several cones around both the crane and orange excavator, and placed 2 additional signs in the bed of the Foreman's blue pick-up truck. I am extremely satisfied with this scene, and who knows...I might be able to add more detail in the future.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 14 2019 :  11:13:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Always fun to see your layout in action.
Always something new to look at in color.
Your videos are entertaining as well Robert.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5842  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2019 :  11:36:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Always fun to see your layout in action.
Always something new to look at in color.
Your videos are entertaining as well Robert.

Originally posted by wks - February 14 2019 :  11:13:50 PM

Thank you very much, WKS! I truly appreciate it.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2019 :  8:58:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Adding 2 MRC Railine 370 power-packs

Also during the latest trip to the train store, I purchased an MRC "copper" Railine 370 power-pack for only 15 bucks. In testing it on the layout by replacing the former Bachmann brown power-pack, I found that it performed not only a ton better, but looked more realistic and provided more DC power to the inner line (with a 7.5 VA output instead of only a 6 VA output from the former pack.) In searching on Ebay, I was fortunate that a seller accepted my offer of $15.00 for yet another "copper" MRC power-pack - this I used to replace the blue LifeLike pack controlling the outer line.

Because the MRC power-pack for the outer line didn't quite fit on the layout, I propped it up with an HO-Scale block of lumber, and rested the other end of the pack on the side of the platform. Of course, beings that the siding had to be temporarily pried-away from the platform to push the cord through an indent and down inside the skirting...I not only had to re-affix the wooden side with hot glue, but also refurbish the destructed scenery.

I'm quite pleased with these copper MRC Railine 370 power-packs, and expect them to serve the Ephrata Valley Railroad faithfully for years to come!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 19 2019 :  5:14:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Video of "Pennsy" C-Liners #9506 A&B - enjoy!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 20 2019 :  12:19:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A charming video. Nice to see vintage AHM at home
and doing it's job! Looking forward to finding that
AHM unit. Driving me nuts. I had it in my hand
and set it down, and now the search continues.
The NH shell I have well in hand, but with boxes
strewn everywhere as I reorganize the garage
the PC C Liner is cleverly avoiding detection, but
it will emerge, it is within five yards of me as I
speak, but locating it is the challenge. Will go poke
around for it now, right after signing off.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2019 :  02:58:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Love the first photos with the yellow/blue Santa Fe's... Really nice...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 20 2019 :  9:00:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
No problem, Chops! And thanks!!

Walt, Thank you!

Wordless Wednesday #23

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2019 :  10:58:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice pic, I feel the thunder!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 21 2019 :  2:38:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops - I appreciate it!

People-izing the Signal Bridge

Despite installing the "new" TYCO Signal Bridge last year, I had previously run out of HO-Scale people, thus it remained void of pedestrian life. In January of this year, I placed an order of 200 HO-Scale people for only about $6.00 total, from a seller in Hong Kong. Despite taking over a month to arrive, the people were packed well and made the long trip to PA from overseas safely!

On Tuesday evening, I affixed nearly 30 pedestrians in different positions on the Signal Bridge, using liquid cement, and after allowing the glue to dry for a day, placed the bridge back on the layout. Although it might just look like a hub of activity, there are "mini-scenes" on the Signal Bridge itself, including a Mom and Dad watching over their children as they stare at the construction site below, a young couple admiring the view of town, and even 3 railfans with cameras slung around their necks, talking about the passing trains.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2019 :  2:41:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Population explosion!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 21 2019 :  4:30:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, most of them being tourists though...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 22 2019 :  12:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Just to inform you, ALL NEW PHOTOS have been added to the "LAYOUT PHOTOS" page on the Ephrata Valley Railroad website (https://sites.google.com/site/ephratavalleyrailroad/home) Check 'em out!

NEW Locomotive Addition: Reading RR F7A #902

Another locomotive has been added to the roster - Reading RR F7A #902 (important to note that the "real" RDG #902 is truly an FP7A, and is preserved to this day, owned by the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society.) This Reading F7 was produced by Mantua in the 1990's, and besides being one of the "newly produced" locomotives operated on the Ephrata Valley Railroad, it has been on my wish list since this layout was first being built, but even "used" prices at the time were quite expensive. Therefore, I consider myself truly blessed to have won F7A #902 on Ebay for just $14.50 recently - now I'm on the hunt for Mantua unpowered Reading F7 A or B units.

A photo of Reading F7A #902 has been added to the "Locomotives" page, while a video is forthcoming. Stay tuned!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 22 2019 :  5:38:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Fantastic POV. It was nice the EVRR would allow tourists in so
close, on company property, to photograph these vintage
stalwarts.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 22 2019 :  6:39:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks, Chops! and agreed.

Eventually, I need to model an "HO-Scale RP" near the tracks...photographing trains...

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 22 2019 :  11:49:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Whoa, Nelly! I didn't see that prop car! That is so mega cool. You
build that yourself? Please post it in COTW sometime. I want to
get a closer look on that puppy.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 24 2019 :  06:46:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Whoa, Nelly! I didn't see that prop car! That is so mega cool. You
build that yourself? Please post it in COTW sometime. I want to
get a closer look on that puppy.

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 22 2019 :  11:49:29 PM

Do you mean the Reading GP7 by the Ephrata Coal Co?

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: The New Green Light RR Topic Next Topic: Ephrata Valley RR  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000