Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Oct 15-21,2017
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Oct. 22nd to Oct. 28  

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 14 2017 :  11:16:58 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Starting this off early, here's mine. a 95% complete Gilbert Hudson. My first piece of Gilbert HO. Got for $30 from my local flea market "guy" with a bunch of other stuff (see Flea Market Finds)

A kid was actually looking at this, I grabbed it (he wasn't there at the moment). He was wondering about it, but wanted more RTR. A broken drawbar screw and lack of a pilot truck makes this a bit less than RTR.

So I got it, lol She's also got a smoke unit in it.

So I need to drill and tap the drawbar hole in the frame... Anyone have a spare pilot truck so I can get this old girl on the rails?

Edited by - DanMacK on October 14 2017 11:17:52 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator 

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 14 2017 :  11:35:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Execellent locomotive! Those drivers look like they're in really good shape.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 15 2017 :  08:34:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
just had it out for annual running and clean,tenshodo great northern c-1 0-8-0,sweet runner,ken

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  12:19:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Like stealing candy from a baby, eh, Dan? Heh, heh, heh. If it was me I'dve just given the
brat a sharp elbow in the ribs! Well, this unique piece by Bachmann, I snagged of eBay for
only 2 bucks fifty cents. What is this bizarre semi-pantograph on the roof, and did this unit
ever exist??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 15 2017 :  1:16:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

Like stealing candy from a baby, eh, Dan? Heh, heh, heh. If it was me I'dve just given the
brat a sharp elbow in the ribs! Well, this unique piece by Bachmann, I snagged of eBay for
only 2 bucks fifty cents. What is this bizarre semi-pantograph on the roof, and did this unit
ever exist??

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 15 2017 :  12:19:54 PM

The E60CF did indeed exist but they were only used on the Black Mesa and Lake Powell RR. It had a pantograph, just like the passenger version, except that they only had one instead of two. Your model is missing a piece of the pantograph. You might look at the Bachmann parts store to see if you can get a replacement.

http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/bmlp.html

The Bachmann model is a faithful reproduction of the prototype expect for the roadnames they chose (Santa Fe and Chessie). I must admit though that I do like the Santa Fe version a lot.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  2:43:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well that is another new piece of information for me. Thanks,
I enjoyed the post. I can get a pantograph without too much
trouble from the Bachmann part store, I am sure. I don't
have any SF stuff, even though I am in the heart of former
ATSF country. I might leave it as is, go to PC, or maybe
even take a shot at the BL&MP.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 15 2017 :  8:29:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

The E60CF did indeed exist but they were only used on the Black Mesa and Lake Powell RR. It had a pantograph, just like the passenger version, except that they only had one instead of two. Your model is missing a piece of the pantograph. You might look at the Bachmann parts store to see if you can get a replacement.

http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/bmlp.html

The Bachmann model is a faithful reproduction of the prototype expect for the roadnames they chose (Santa Fe and Chessie). I must admit though that I do like the Santa Fe version a lot.

Originally posted by Redwoods - October 15 2017 :  1:16:42 PM

um you forgot the one that Bachmann made that I wants!
THE ROCK!!

Edited by - microbusss on October 15 2017 8:29:51 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  8:51:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Oooooh, that would look in Bankruptcy Blue.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  10:06:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I was looking for a four wheel lead truck for my latest gaff, and found this.
It might not be practical what with customs duties, but take a look:

New message from: choochoocityseller (4,297Red Star)
HERES THE PICS

You'll have to look him up on eBay.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 15 2017 :  10:36:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Buss, the Rock one was an E60CP (dual cab). Chops, the only pantos on the parts store is the double one for the E60CP. Might have to look on eBay.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to take that Electric off your hands :P

Would a 4 wheel truck even fit? It's a Mikado isn't it? ;)

Edited by - DanMacK on October 15 2017 10:44:58 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 16 2017 :  12:45:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Buss, the Rock one was an E60CP (dual cab). Chops, the only pantos on the parts store is the double one for the E60CP. Might have to look on eBay.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to take that Electric off your hands :P

Would a 4 wheel truck even fit? It's a Mikado isn't it? ;)

Originally posted by DanMacK - October 15 2017 :  10:36:15 PM

I think the Burlington Northern was too?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 16 2017 :  12:54:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
quote:
My first piece of Gilbert HO.

DanMacK, Congrats on your 1st Gilbert HO. Their steam locos have always been my favorite. FYI, eBay seller tgcards1 usually has a few pilots in reserve.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 16 2017 :  03:12:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Brian, thanks and thanks for the heads up. I messaged gilbertHO as well. The loco needs a pilot truck, only found one and it was sold... lol

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Localoid
Switcher

Posted - October 16 2017 :  04:07:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Localoid to Buddylist
@DanMack

Nice looking Hudson! Don't forget, since it's an American Flyer you have both smoke and synchronized "choo choo" sound to boot!

RE: the missing pilot truck:

Port Lines Hobby Supplies sells Gilbert HO parts, and their website shows the pilot truck for the NYC Hudson in stock.

Part #: X9846 (ID: 7165) -- PILOT TRUCK, HUDSON ; 4-wheel; orig

To find their HO parts you have to go to this URL:

http://64.251.10.24/~worldofw/cgi-bin/shopplcom.pl/SID=222322194/page=index2-new.html

Then navigate (via the menu items on left) to: American Flyer Parts > Parts G-L > HO by A.C. Gilbert

rfgco.com has original Gilbert parts diagram online for the Hudson here:

http://www.rfgco.com/catalog/hohud_ex.gif

Edited by - Localoid on October 16 2017 04:09:35 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 18  ~  Member Since: October 10 2017  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 16 2017 :  08:10:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This week’s Loco of the Week is off to a great start and it is only Monday morning. Dans first Gilbert Hudson is a beauty and looks to be good enough to last another 50+ years. Gilbert really built them well. Ken’s great Northern 0-8-0 is so full of detail it looks real. Redwoods Bachmann E60CF is rarely seen. How do I add to this weeks stuff? I’ll have to look around and see what I got.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 16 2017 :  6:47:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dan, I bought the wrong %$!@$#@ truck. I glanced at some
other item and thought I was looking at my item and bought
the four wheel truck without thinking it through, just a snap
decision. Then Timewarp notes my goof and I run out and
snatch a correct two wheel pilot. I could've just returned
the thing, but you know, I don't want to be one of those
annoying eBay buyers.

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - October 16 2017 :  6:55:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
Chops, I'd love to trade you out of the E60CF. Any chance of that?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 16 2017 :  7:08:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Dan, I bought the wrong %$!@$#@ truck. I glanced at some
other item and thought I was looking at my item and bought
the four wheel truck without thinking it through, just a snap
decision. Then Timewarp notes my goof and I run out and
snatch a correct two wheel pilot. I could've just returned
the thing, but you know, I don't want to be one of those
annoying eBay buyers.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 16 2017 :  6:47:57 PM

Could be divine providence. Someday, maybe you'll be glad you have that pilot truck. For example, a flaming dirigible could jettison a Mantua Pacific over your house and it could break its pilot truck on the landing and all it'd take to fix it is a new pilot truck. You never can tell about the future.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 16 2017 :  7:50:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
just had it out for annual running and clean,tenshodo great northern c-1 0-8-0,sweet runner,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - October 15 2017 :  08:34:17 AM

May I ask as to why the boiler is square near the cab?

chevelle454
Big Six

SFChiefAvatar

Posted - October 16 2017 :  8:15:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add chevelle454 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - October 15 2017 :  08:34:17 AM

May I ask as to why the boiler is square near the cab?

Originally posted by microbusss - October 16 2017 :  7:50:12 PM

Belpaire firebox, Pennsy had em too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: June 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: August 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's my LOTW offering:

The twin Tyco D&H Sharks, now in my roster! Check out "My roster of Tyco locomotives" under "Motive Power," for more info on how I obtained these Sharks.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:45:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Nifty setup RP!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:47:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Belpaire firebox, Pennsy had em too

Originally posted by chevelle454 - October 16 2017 :  8:15:19 PM

& that big long thing under the cab is a air brake tank of some sort?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2017 :  11:03:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
"Could be divine providence. Someday, maybe you'll be glad you have that pilot truck. For example, a flaming dirigible could jettison a Mantua Pacific over your house and it could break its pilot truck on the landing and all it'd take to fix it is a new pilot truck. You never can tell about the future."

That's crazy. Everyone knows dirigibles don't use hydrogen
anymore!

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 17 2017 :  2:32:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Here is my LOTW, a Mantua 311-46 Richmond-Fredericksburg-Potomac Pacific Loco. It didn't run, so I got it for a low price. I removed the old, burnt out motor and put in a motor with neodymium magnets and it runs great.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 17 2017 :  2:47:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Awesome locomotives in the thread this week. My Hudson is a 31005 so it has the smoke but it doesn't have the synchronize choo choo, only the 31006 had that apparently. LOL

I join the Gilbert ho group and Doug from portlines pointed me in his Direction so I can get all the parts I need. He has a pilot truck I found the screw and I might get a new drawbars well.

She'll get posted in the Gilbert forum once I get her up and running.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 17 2017 :  6:33:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
DanMacK,

Glad you got the parts and am looking forward to seeing the revitalized loco. FYI, the #446 has the speaker in the tender. It sounds awesome - hope you are able to add a 31006 or 446 to your collection.

Localoid
Switcher

Posted - October 17 2017 :  9:05:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Localoid to Buddylist
@DanMacK

I don't claim to be an expert on Gilbert HO, but I thought the only difference between the #31005 and #31006 Hudsons was that #31006 had the built-in electric "steam whistle" (actually it sounds more like a horn than a true whistle) while the #31005 was exactly the same as #31006 with the exception of not having the built-in "whistle."

The cylinder shaped thing that makes the choo-choo sound is the thing that making the smoke "puff" on Gilbert locos, so I'm not sure exactly how or why Gilbert would have made a smoke unit without choo-choo, since the choo-choo is really just the result pushing air through a baffle platte that connects to the smoke unit.

However, the choo-choo on the HO Gilberts usually aren't nearly as loud as their "big brother" S scale counterparts, so sometimes it's hard to hear the choo-choo sounds of the HO trains at all, esp. if there's any amount of gear noise (common to older locos that haven't been serviced yet.) Dunno... Maybe some with more knowledge than I have can shine some light on the subject of non-choo-choo AF HO!

The AF S scale Docksider locos were small and thus used a HO choo-choo unit, and you couldn't really hear them chuffing very well at all, unless you had your ear right next to thing, and even then it was a pretty weak chuff! If I remember correctly Gilbert stopped listing "choo choo" as a featture on the S scale Dockside during the 2nd year they made it, although in reality it still had exactly the same HO choo-choo unit in it as was used in the year previous.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 18  ~  Member Since: October 10 2017  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 18 2017 :  12:09:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
@Localoid. The whistle is what I was thinking of, my bad :D

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 18 2017 :  05:54:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* A Lehigh Valley N-1 class Mikado, the only 2-8-2 camelbacks ever made rides the turntable on the way to a ready track for assignment.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - October 18 2017 :  9:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Halloween colours...

Mike

Edited by - Mike on October 18 2017 9:58:56 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 19 2017 :  12:07:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My motive power for this week's post is a Mantua C&O F-unit. Needs some work, doesn't want to run yet. MU-2 motor needs some TLC.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 20 2017 :  12:36:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
This week is my recently acquired and assembled Convertible Switcher. The previous owner
has shoved the original paperwork up in the top of the box. I set it up as a 2-6-2. This was
a brand new kit.

It is a little stiff (new motor and gear) but runs rather nicely. Still have to do some fine tuning.

It can also be set up as:

0-4-0
0-6-0
2-4-0
2-6-0
2-4-2
2-6-2
0-4-2
0-6-2
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 20 2017 :  5:29:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW offering is an early Mantua 2-6-0 Mogul just purchased.

This one has the early pre-WWII tender. This can be seen by the steel sheet metal used in the truck construction and the round water hatch on the top of the tender. The chassis of the locomotive appears to be diecast and not brass like most pre-war moguls I've seen.

Pretty excited to get this one. Of the ~2 dozen Moguls I have, this is only the second one with the complete early pre-war tender I have come across. Going to replace the roof and likely keep this one.

I apologize if there is anyone out here that I outbid to get this.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 20 2017 :  9:10:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's a good lesson Sean regarding the distinctions between the pre-war and later moguls. That would be good submission to www.hoseeker.net . I'm assuming the cab was the same, but the modeler opened up the windows some? Interesting bit about the "stamped" trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 20 2017 :  9:11:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is one fine machine you built there George. How about a video of it chugging around the layout?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 21 2017 :  02:52:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
As soon as I can get it fine tuned. Still a little rough because it has never been broke in.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 31 2017 :  5:14:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Starting this off early, here's mine. a 95% complete Gilbert Hudson. My first piece of Gilbert HO. Got for $30 from my local flea market "guy" with a bunch of other stuff (see Flea Market Finds)

A kid was actually looking at this, I grabbed it (he wasn't there at the moment). He was wondering about it, but wanted more RTR. A broken drawbar screw and lack of a pilot truck makes this a bit less than RTR.

So I got it, lol She's also got a smoke unit in it.

So I need to drill and tap the drawbar hole in the frame... Anyone have a spare pilot truck so I can get this old girl on the rails?

I might. PM'd you.

Originally posted by DanMacK - October 14 2017 :  11:16:58 PM

Previous Topic: LOTW Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Oct. 22nd to Oct. 28  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000