Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW Oct 23 to Oct 29 2016
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW Oct 30-Nov 5 Topic Next Topic: COTW Oct 16 to Oct 22 2016  

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 23 2016 :  1:37:23 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
this hurt buying this

now I needs 2 or more passenger cars & either the GP or the E9 grrrr

Edited by - microbusss on October 23 2016 1:37:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 23 2016 :  3:35:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hey, $10 ain't bad for a unique piece like that. Never seen one before.
I know the feeling though- get one dang piece, and then you have to
go crazy trying to find the other pieces in the set. Especially with
passenger coaches.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 23 2016 :  5:48:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Hey, $10 ain't bad for a unique piece like that. Never seen one before.
I know the feeling though- get one dang piece, and then you have to
go crazy trying to find the other pieces in the set. Especially with
passenger coaches.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 23 2016 :  3:35:51 PM

been looking for YEARS for this set!
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/redboxerapassengercars/id1.html
Tyco did make a UP loco like the ones above the UP set in this link
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 24 2016 :  10:49:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My COTW offering is...

Model Engineering Works ho side dump car...

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 24 2016 :  2:39:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
2 moar cars from show hehe

Lionel

should mention that all Lionel HO was made by Athern
the Lionel name is tiny on the underframe

Life-Like

Edited by - microbusss on October 24 2016 2:45:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - October 25 2016 :  1:05:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I think Bus (the lucky bastard that he is) won this week's thread with that observation car.

Here's my COTW:

Tyco pulpwood car, ATSF flavor

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 25 2016 :  1:54:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I can't seem to recall a red CP box. Is it Tyco, is it rare?
Nice piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 25 2016 :  2:57:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
2 moar cars from show hehe

Lionel

should mention that all Lionel HO was made by Athern
the Lionel name is tiny on the underframe

Athearn did not make this car for Lionel. I think by the time this was produced, it was Life-Like making HO rolling stock for Lionel. This car is no where near the quality of a typical Athearn car of the same time period. The molded on roof walk is a clear sign it is not Athearn made.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - October 25 2016 :  3:45:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
The molded roof walk and the molded door tracks (plus the fact that the doors grip the tracks instead of being tucked in while having demi-functional bottom grips)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 25 2016 :  3:46:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I can't seem to recall a red CP box. Is it Tyco, is it rare?
Nice piece.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 25 2016 :  1:54:18 PM

I said LIONEL!!
The Red Caboose is a caboose themed hotel near Strausburg,PA

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 25 2016 :  8:18:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a all metal old Globe 3 dome tank car. Shippers Express.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - October 25 2016 :  8:48:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
quote:
My COTW offering is...

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 24 2016 :  10:49:53 AM

What a weird (in a good way) little car. Can't imagine it's a real prototype, I feel like it'd be horribly inefficient for transporting anything a hopper would, and pointless as anything requiring a gondola or flatcar generally doesn't need to be dumped. (Logs? maybe? Seems too short for that. Scrap? Wouldn't you use a crane or similar? Also too short).

sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 25 2016 :  9:08:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
My COTW offering is...

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 24 2016 :  10:49:53 AM

What a weird (in a good way) little car. Can't imagine it's a real prototype, I feel like it'd be horribly inefficient for transporting anything a hopper would, and pointless as anything requiring a gondola or flatcar generally doesn't need to be dumped. (Logs? maybe? Seems too short for that. Scrap? Wouldn't you use a crane or similar? Also too short).

Originally posted by Pokemonprime - October 25 2016 :  8:48:17 PM

I hope this convinces you that they are pretty close to prototypical. These would have been mostly used on short-lines and in mining operations where the need for tight radius curves and shorter cars would have been a must...

Sean

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - October 26 2016 :  4:18:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
quote:

I hope this convinces you that they are pretty close to prototypical. These would have been mostly used on short-lines and in mining operations where the need for tight radius curves and shorter cars would have been a must...

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 25 2016 :  9:08:47 PM

Well I stand corrected. I guess it was foolish to forget about mining/short-line railroads.

sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 26 2016 :  8:58:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice vintage photos Sean.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - October 26 2016 :  9:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Those side dump cars were usually used for maintenance-of-way work, carrying ballast and rip-rap to places where it was needed along the line. The side dump feature allowed the material to be dropped off where it was needed along the right of way. On eary versions, the bed was mounted on a large central bearing with chains leading from the bed to points in both sides of the frame. If you take the chains off, the bed tilts to one side or the other. Later versions used compressed air to dump the bed. Modern day rock cars still work this way.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - October 26 2016 :  10:51:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Worst part, now I want one for my trains!
sim-al2
純那
yeah

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 27 2016 :  12:36:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
My COTW is this, ... Well, to drag me even further from my hobby table was the purchase of this 1965 Mustang Convertible. Will be removed from the 4WD parts and completely dismantled & restored to a stock factory appearance of red with a white top. This was left in a will to a friend of mine an hour & a half away. I just accidentally spotted it on Facebook when his son posted pics..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - October 27 2016 :  12:49:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Beautiful Mustang. I've always wondered what everybody drove.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 27 2016 :  09:00:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Nice body, but that chassis is sacrilege!

Can't wait to see her back to looking like a REAL mustang Walt, she's gonna be gorgeous.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 27 2016 :  11:46:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Nice body, but that chassis is sacrilege!

Can't wait to see her back to looking like a REAL mustang Walt, she's gonna be gorgeous.

Originally posted by DanMacK - October 27 2016 :  09:00:59 AM

yeah but I'd drive one like that

gonna use Falcon parts to restore it? hehe

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 27 2016 :  2:27:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's quite a hooptie, Walt. What kind of motor you going to
fire it with?

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 27 2016 :  5:50:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
The MEW air dump car is crazy hard to find, never saw one before... I'm jealous af
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 27 2016 :  7:09:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Thank You, Guys! It should be a joy bringing this one back to life...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 28 2016 :  09:44:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
The MEW air dump car is crazy hard to find, never saw one before... I'm jealous af

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - October 27 2016 :  5:50:45 PM

They are very hard to find. There were about 4 built and in nice condition, individually and correctly listed a couple months back. They sold for ~over $40 each. My $35-36 bid on each did not win any.

This one came with two other cars (plastic) for a total of $10 plus $7 shipping. Sometimes one gets lucky. I may have only one or two more complete pieces in my collection. But I am not sure. I know I have a couple incomplete and in rough shape.

Was pretty excited to get it and share it obviously. Has not even been delivered yet. Might get here today or tomorrow. I like to share the rare stuff most people don't know existed. Most of this stuff I have only discovered within the past 10 years. I went the previous 25 years only knowing about the basics, Athearn, Tyco, Bachmann, etc,, This 40s-60's stuff is pretty neat stuff in my opinion.

Sean

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 28 2016 :  09:48:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
My COTW is this, ... Well, to drag me even further from my hobby table was the purchase of this 1965 Mustang Convertible. Will be removed from the 4WD parts and completely dismantled & restored to a stock factory appearance of red with a white top. This was left in a will to a friend of mine an hour & a half away. I just accidentally spotted it on Facebook when his son posted pics..

Originally posted by walt - October 27 2016 :  12:36:32 AM

I used to drive past this 4x4 1968 coupe with a plow all the time...

Sean

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on October 28 2016 09:49:13 AM

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - October 28 2016 :  11:01:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I am now hoping someone posts a horse car here before the week is out, for the sake of pun

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - October 28 2016 :  4:37:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
I was at a sale which advertised trains they were Jim Bean Decanturs

While there in the driveway was
1964? no more then 1966 Red Mustang Hardtop

All I can say it was red had whitewalls Hardtop and was sold by the time I saw it

I drive a Honda CRV passed 100,000 this year has not FAILED me yet when hauling purchases (and there have been lots)!!!!!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 28 2016 :  5:08:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

AHM Scotties.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 28 2016 :  7:17:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
That's quite a hooptie, Walt. What kind of motor you going to
fire it with?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 27 2016 :  2:27:57 PM

Sorry, Jeff... I missed your comment... I will stick with some small Ford V8 like a 289. Being unfamiliar with Mustangs I will have to research what they come with as I go. I will keep it as near original as I can though it wont be numbers matching... :) I'm currently restoring my 79 Trans Am but I'm more excited over the Mustang at this time...

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 29 2016 :  9:19:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Found it tonight while at Kmart, looking for batteries....

Well, you know I had to buy it since I have a pretty extensive diecast Mustang collection as well...

Sean

Previous Topic: COTW Oct 30-Nov 5 Topic Next Topic: COTW Oct 16 to Oct 22 2016  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000