Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Light PCB for caboose / passenger cars - at Target
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Lima bicentennial plymouth switcher Topic Next Topic: Break 1-9 Tyco Forums!  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 19 2016 :  11:59:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I don't know if any of you are looking for a "cheap" way to light your caboose, or even a small passenger car...but I walked into Target tonight to stock up on cat food, feeding two hungry stray males in addition to my domesticated female cats, and wandered through the Dollar Spot. some neat stuff there sometimes. Not even half-way down the first row, I spotted something - light wands. Hmm. They had different color outer shells - clear, blue, pink , purple, green, etc. For the LEDs themselves , there are 4 : two red, one blue, one green. Tried a clear shell wand, bright LEDs come on, then you can cycle through a sequence of flashing, strobing, sequential flashing, back-and-forth lighting, just keep hitting the power button. Has a little sealed circuit on the long skinny light board PCB to do that. And the nice thing about it is? Only $1 each! I bought 5. SPecs - about 7 inches long, has room for a 5th LED, powered by 3 mini-coin batteries. PCB is about 1/4 inch wide. Could cut it down to 3 LEDs, about 4 inches long, for a caboose. Or leave it long for a passenger car. Has mounting holes at either end for screws. PCB is a little flimsy, but won't sag on it's own. For a buck, not a bad deal to get a pre-made light board, LEDs, and a battery holder, too! The shell is glued/pressed together, I just gently cracked it apart with some pliers to get the PCB out. The "switch" is a rubber "hat" with a metal-embedded dot to make contact with the zig-zag traces to start the light show. Might could use part of the wand shell to hold the PCB and the switch hat in place, or make your own.
At any rate, thought I'd mention this thing here, since I'm on a light-it-up phase kick now. :D Would be easy to scrape and cut the PCB tracks to install resistors, diodes, etc for a track-powered light bar. Like I said, only a $1 gets you all this. I've been looking at online light kits for cabeese, and a simple 3-LED is $15, and a more complex 5 LED one is $25. Not exactly cheap money, although those ARE well engineered and thought out. I may buy one to "borrow" the circuitry secrets for these. :)
Anyway, a few pictures to enhance the post as well.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 04 2016 :  02:23:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Definitely something to keep in mind. I can see a huge advantage to this in the form of it already coming with an on-off switch.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 04 2016 :  5:41:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Considering Walt has the market on street lights
cornered, this is a good alternative!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Lima bicentennial plymouth switcher Topic Next Topic: Break 1-9 Tyco Forums!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000