Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Shelf "Layout" . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New to forum and need guidance and help Topic Next Topic: Need a little, or a lot, of help...  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 09 2016 :  8:00:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Got some sort of bug in me to focus my model train addiction and I tore up the 54 X 72 layout I had. Instead, I'm going to try a little shelf set-up where I can test a locomotive or rolling stock. The shelf of 1/2 inch plywood rests on a 2 X 3 frame which measures 15 inches by 50 inches.

In an attempt to add some interest to the shelf, I cut a notch in the frame, an inch deep, and have been playing with Elmer's glue and paper sacks. The truss bridge is from a Tyco bridge and trestle set. The white on the paper is wet glue; I'm thinking this is just supposed to be a dry gulch.

Not sure how far I'll attempt to go with any scenery. Main idea was to have a place to test equipment with a bit of room to use a screwdriver or a paint brush. We'll see how satisfying this change of venue will be.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 09 2016 :  8:35:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Looks like a great idea, Barry! Looking forward to see what it becomes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 09 2016 :  8:53:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Are you going to detail-paint that bridge?
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 09 2016 :  10:15:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I hope you saved the coal loader. That was a masterpiece and you might want it again, some day.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 10 2016 :  2:59:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I saved the coal loader Don and I think I'm going to have it on this shelf. Zelda, I hadn't thought about detailing that bridge anymore than spraying it the flat black. What ideas did you have? Yeah Walt, you could fit about 20 of these (more?) on your layout. I've been thinking I should call it the B & F R'y. . . . the Back & Forth Railway.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 10 2016 :  8:16:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist

We'll just see how this sort of thing works out. Upside of things is that the shelf is much closer to eye-level.

Need to figure out some sort of lighting to maybe both illuminate the mini-workbench and possibly enhance the view of what might be sitting on the shelf.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 10 2016 :  8:47:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
"Yeah Walt, you could fit about 20 of these (more?) on your layout."

Originally posted by Barry - February 10 2016 :  2:59:23 PM

[/quote]
Barry, sometimes I wish mine was that size... I like your idea and I'm sure it's gonna be nice.

Edited by - walt on February 11 2016 12:34:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 10 2016 :  10:17:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Looks really good so far! I like the creek bed cut into the shelf a lot!

I got a little carried away with my train shelf. I think you saw the photos a while ago.

Depending on how carried away you want to get, you could think about building a soffit over the shelf with lighting in it; just a simple box with maybe LED strip lights or something like that. If you built it to match the shelf, it could look nice.

You may also think about a light with a magnifier on it, the kind on an arm that you can clamp to the shelf and move around so you can see your work better. I have one on my workbench and it is a huge help.

I really like your trains and your modeling style!

Mark
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 10 2016 :  10:20:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
And I like the second to last photo. Reminds me of a sunset!

Does that transformer shelf hinge up so you don't see it when you are not using it? I did the same thing with my Christmas layout transformer shelf!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 11 2016 :  12:31:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I also liked the golden light. It reminds me of sunrise on a perfectly clear day.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 11 2016 :  11:26:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey Mark, I was searching for your post of your train shelf and I couldn't find it. I'd like to look at it again if you have a link.

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 11 2016 :  12:12:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Barry,

I found the photos under the "Matchbox Cars on Layout" thread. It's not really like your shelf, mine is for display only.

I have to rework my shelves a little this year. I found a Plasticville Diner that I want to put next to the passenger station and may move a few other things around.

Mark

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 12 2016 :  10:05:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Mark, I do remember seeing those photos, but it had been quite a spell and I'm glad I looked again. I hadn't thought about "scale" lighting being a part of it. Pretty fine collection you have laid out in an entertaining way. Seems now, having just had this shelf of mine a couple of days, I can see where it will for the most part be a little display. Not really a great deal of satisfaction running a locomotive back and forth a few feet; can't really even get up to a scale road speed. We'll see.

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 12 2016 :  10:47:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
I didn't plan on lighting my shelf at first! I just wanted to sit my engines on track. Then, I thought, every track needs a bumper at the end. And every bumper should light up! And the track should be on cork board! Next thing you know, I was wiring the whole thing up and adding buildings, cars, people, etc. It was a lot of fun, actually. I had planned to have one track in the work yard with an engine going back and forth controlled by a sensor, but that didn't work out the way I planned.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Mark

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2016 :  9:05:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, Barry I'll miss your granite dells, but honestly, this
is the first time I've seen a point to point on an American
Forum. I also belong to a British forum, and point to points
are all the rage there. I do have a sneaking feeling, however, that this very attractive module is going
to form the basis of a larger layout. Looks like you've
got a lot of extra space there...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 16 2016 :  8:37:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Looks great, I like the water feature. Sometimes great things can come in small spaces.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 17 2016 :  2:37:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks great, I like the water feature. Sometimes great things can come in small spaces.

Jerry in VA

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - February 16 2016 :  8:37:47 PM

And big places... you got a lot of extra space there, Barry...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 17 2016 :  6:27:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Got some sort of bug in me to focus my model train addiction and I tore up the 54 X 72 layout I had. Instead, I'm going to try a little shelf set-up where I can test a locomotive or rolling stock...........
Main idea was to have a place to test equipment with a bit of room to use a screwdriver or a paint brush. We'll see how satisfying this change of venue will be.

Originally posted by Barry - February 09 2016 :  8:00:36 PM

Hey Barry - not being critical, but really curious about your drastic change of venue. Your layout was a real jewel, a lot of interest and character in a relatively small space - and a nice place to showcase and run your trains.
In the last year I have had to give up my layout and make do with a section of test track. I've had fun working on projects, but not having a layout to really see how the locomotive performs during 'real' operations has been increasingly frustrating to me. Was wondering if you could elaborate on what you are wanting to focus on with this shelf layout, compared to the last one?
Thanks

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 17 2016 :  11:57:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Well Jerry, I'll tell you. Right now I have that little shelf thing torn up because the pilot truck of a locomotive I was running kept hanging up in the turnout, and I'm looking at options since a bit of filing and readjusting didn't solve things. THEN . . . I see that most recent thing that Jeff is scheming on (42" X 42" with a grade and such) and I'm thinking this shelf needs a serious reconsideration. Running a locomotive back and forth on a test track, if you can call that a test, is not very satisfying. We'll see what pans out.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 18 2016 :  09:22:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Well Jerry, I'll tell you. Right now I have that little shelf thing torn up because the pilot truck of a locomotive I was running kept hanging up in the turnout, and I'm looking at options since a bit of filing and readjusting didn't solve things. THEN . . . I see that most recent thing that Jeff is scheming on (42" X 42" with a grade and such) and I'm thinking this shelf needs a serious reconsideration. Running a locomotive back and forth on a test track, if you can call that a test, is not very satisfying. We'll see what pans out.

Originally posted by Barry - February 17 2016 :  11:57:39 PM

Gotcha...and thanks. I can concur on the back and forth thing, it drives me up the wall..
Whatever you do I'm sure it will be interesting!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 24 2016 :  6:56:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Short run on the shelf . . .

I think with practice and tuning to allow minimum speeds, I may be able to stretch this run to "several" seconds.

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 24 2016 :  9:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
That's short alright!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 24 2016 :  10:41:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Good to see the coaling station and some Front Range hardscrabble rock.
Carpe Manana!
  Previous Topic: New to forum and need guidance and help Topic Next Topic: Need a little, or a lot, of help...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000