Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Kadee or Horn hook?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: railmatch oily steel Topic Next Topic: Wm Jackson''s Rocky Mountain Railroad Album  

JRadek70
Switcher

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - October 08 2015 :  2:15:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JRadek70 to Buddylist
I wondering what do you guys think? I run all the cars on my layout with kadee couplers and metal wheels. all cars are weighed to spec. I have some tycos still in the boxes and I m wondering how do you feel about adding kadee couplers and metal wheels to your vintage tycos?? or do you prefer the plastic wheels and original hor hook couplers??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: October 07 2015  ~  Last Visit: November 16 2017 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 08 2015 :  2:51:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well metal wheels will make a smoother run & give of realistic clickity clacks on the rail joints
but I gonna keep mine all original & having a transition car doesn't hurt either
one car I actually de-Kadeed hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 08 2015 :  3:51:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I agree with Ben. Metal wheels will help those Tyco cars as the plastic wheels add resistance. Don't roll as well. It's not hard body mounting Kadee's to most cars but I'd stick to a transition car. I have one in my fleet. I hear Intermountain #40025's are the best fit.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - October 08 2015 :  4:07:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
nother option is to add the Kadee trucks with couplers. No alterations needed.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 08 2015 :  5:47:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
K-dees need to be aligned just right of they come apart. X2F are more forgiving, work good but look bad. Old mantua hook and loop look bad but work good as do the foreign couplers like Fleischmann, Kleinbahn, Rivarossi, Lima, Lilliput, and Marklin. again all hook and loop type. I'll stay with my X2F ( horn hook ) type.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 08 2015 :  6:43:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I wondering what do you guys think? I run all the cars on my layout with kadee couplers and metal wheels. all cars are weighed to spec. I have some tycos still in the boxes and I m wondering how do you feel about adding kadee couplers and metal wheels to your vintage tycos?? or do you prefer the plastic wheels and original hor hook couplers??

Originally posted by JRadek70 - October 08 2015 :  2:15:42 PM

In the end it's personal preference. I prefer metal wheels and Kadees too, but not as fanatic about it any more. If I had a vintage Tyco and was planning on running it a lot I'd do the conversion - if it was something I wanted more as a display piece I'd keep it original. I left the X2Fs on my Tyco and Mantua streamliners, replacing the coupler on the baggage car to act as a transition. These cars run together and won't be mixed with other cars, so no reason to convert to knuckle style couplers.
As for the wheels - if they are decent rollers, I think twice about automatically converting to metal. I have some plastic-wheeled cars that roll like they are on ball bearings - so why waste a set of metal wheels on it?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 08 2015 :  10:08:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
In my own experience, hook and horn couplers put lateral forces on a car that can help it to derail on switches, curves and other picky track. I have also encountered situations where they just uncouple if the couplers go slack on curves.

With Kadees, the pull is straight in line with the cars, so they generally don't create sideways stresses. If the heights match poorly, one will drop out the bottom of another, but if they match well, the train generally stays coupled well.

Since I converted to Kadees, I'd say my cars are generally less temperamental. If, on the other hand, your hook and horn couplers are not causing the troubles I've experienced, why mess with success?

As for metal wheels, there are many in the hobby who believe that plastic wheels hold and spread dirt worse than metal ones. I'm not sure anyone has definitively proven this, but my own experience suggests that it may be true, so I use mostly metal wheels.

Keep an eye on your plastic wheels. If they're holding dirt, you'll see it. If not, then once again, why mess with success?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 08 2015 :  11:02:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I agree with everything that's been said here. I run a mix of the two, mostly out of cheapness. Both types have their ups and downs.

One thing I've recently noticed is that if you use the plastic knuckle couplers, like the Bachmanns, you need to check on them after a while. Some of mine that have been stored are sagging badly. A little heat and pressure should straighten them. The plastic ones are cheaper, so you get what you pay for.

Metal wheels seem better in my experience, but not enough to invest in upgrading everything. Like someone else said, if the plastic wheels work, why change them? Personally I can't bring myself to modify most old-school Tycos and such...I prefer the original parts.

The best answer is to have a couple transition cars. That's a car with a X2F/Horn-Hook coupler on one end and a a Kadee type knuckle coupler on the other. That allows you to connect dissimilar locos/rolling stock.

Another thing to look for are the knuckle couplers with the springs attached that fit in where the X2F was. That eliminates the cutting and gluing involved in changing coupler boxes.

Basically, there's a thousand options out there. Or at least there was when I "dropped out" of the hobby a few years ago.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 09 2015 :  05:15:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
I also agree with a bit of what everyone is saying...
It IS a personal preference though.

Metal wheels do help keep the track cleaner longer, plastic wheels tend
to collect "gunk" and spread it around the rails.
And me personally, haven't even SEEN a X2F coupler in person, since the early 80's!!
Bachmann EZ-mate knuckle couplers fit, albeit loosely, in the TYCO coupler
pockets... If you're concerned about originality.

Also, I would add between 3/4 and 1 ounce of weight (when possible) to the
inside of the car, for better tracking, and to not have a "light spot" in your train...
Which is invariably, the FIRST car to derail !!
You don't need to permanently fix the weight (also affecting originality). I've
actually used good 'ol Elmer's glue before. It holds pretty well, and can be
removed - if desired. If that's not an issue, use CA (super glue).

Just my 10 cents!!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - October 09 2015 :  11:48:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
All new cars I build have metal wheels and KayDees. I have converted all of the mailing cars that I run to this also. Anything that gets repaired also gets this treatment. I keep the Horn Hooks on older items that are occasionally run they just run with a conversion car. All cabooses have both couplers since they are always at the end of the train.

I have found the metal wheels give a smother ride. I have several still with plastic wheels and metal axles (Roundhouse and BB style). I have replaced anything with the plastic axle and plastic wheel, they really rolled poorly.

I prefer the KayDee as they are more reliable backing into my yards. Passing through the switches the Horn Hooks just seemed to have far more issues.

My youngest son has all Horn Hooks and does not own a conversion car. This is called 'protection' for my main fleet. He is still learning and accidents happen. My older has started to convert once he started building his own locomotives from parts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 09 2015 :  6:35:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
In my own experience, hook and horn couplers put lateral forces on a car that can help it to derail on switches, curves and other picky track. I have also encountered situations where they just uncouple if the couplers go slack on curves.

With Kadees, the pull is straight in line with the cars, so they generally don't create sideways stresses. If the heights match poorly, one will drop out the bottom of another, but if they match well, the train generally stays coupled well.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - October 08 2015 :  10:08:15 PM

Interesting. I would agree with most all has been posted. Ironically, my latest impression from the X2F was that it was less picky and more forgiving then knuckle couplers on less than perfect track - which unfortunately my own layoout falls under at this time. I am forever having to fiddle with knuckle coupler heights to make sure they are all perfectly matched, otherwise the 'dips' here and there can cause a break in a train. X2Fs seem to be less prone to that. No they don't back well, but I don't do a lot of switching so not an issue.
A moot point in the end though, plus I like the look of knuckles way better.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 10 2015 :  04:53:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Here's an example of an EASY, good coupler swap!!

It's a Kadee #148, simply inserted in the SAME way as the old horn hook.
It's a "whisker" coupler, with the springs attached to it, instead of having to use a separate phosphor spring - like the old Kadee #5 (for those who haven't used them yet). It stays perfectly centered, and is very strong.

BTW, I'm not sure if this is even a TYCO... It IS a Roco chassis, clearly marked on the bottom of the huge fuel tank, but a "wonderful" 3-pole can type motor, and ATHEARN style driveshafts (YES, 2!).
Quite confusing! I think I'll put it in it's own post for you guys to hash out!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!

Edited by - pacbelt on October 10 2015 04:58:07 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 11 2015 :  10:29:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I am forever having to fiddle with knuckle coupler heights to make sure they are all perfectly matched, otherwise the 'dips' here and there can cause a break in a train.
Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - October 09 2015 :  6:35:08 PM

I've had to cope with that, too, having a hilly layout. Fortunately, I don't have a great many cars to convert, and what I do have is a limited number of kinds. Once I've worked out how to get the height right on one Athearn box car, for example, I've got it figured out for all of them.

The break-in-two's that I've had with x2f's occurred a year or two ago. I was shooting video of a model railroad display in the Silver Creek Museum (http://www.thefreeportshow.com/museum.htm). The HO trains run on E-Z track set up on green indoor-outdoor carpeting which sags under the weight of heavy locomotives causing bad track connections. The trains then sometimes lurch to a stop for a fraction of a second. When that happened in curves, the hooks would let go of each other and the coupler to the outside of the curve did not spring far enough in over center to keep hold of its counterpart on the next car. When the train started again, half the train would be left behind.

It made me appreciate both solid track bed and my knuckle couplers at home.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2015 :  9:00:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
My vote for horn hooks, but I consider myself a low scale modeler, and
like it that way. I'd change the lot to metal wheels, I'm sure they'd
track better, but cost is the issue. Nice thing about plastic wheels
is the prototypical "wheel squeal," which I call Tyco Sound Effects.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 12 2015 9:01:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - October 15 2015 :  8:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I prefer knuckle couplers, myself. I mostly used horn-hook couplers until around 2011, or maybe 2012, when I began to upgrade my equipment. When installing new knuckle couplers in TYCO rolling stock, I usually go with either Bachmann E-Z Mate couplers with Kadee talgo truck adapters, or Life-Like's Scenemaster knuckle couplers. Whichever I use, I do need to trim the edges of the "whiskers" a bit so they fit nicely in the coupler pockets. The same producer also goes for older Life-Like rolling stock, but for AHM, IHC and newer Life-Like, I usually don't need to trim the whiskers.
The only flaw is, like I said, they have to be at level all the time or they can uncouple in certain conditions, which can get annoying. And the long uncoupling pin can catch onto stuff on occasion like part of a turnout, which can uncouple or derail the car. So you either have to bend the pin up a bit or shorten it with some kind of knife.

I've only so far upgraded a few of my TYCO cars to metal wheels, and it does make a difference. I may need to buy some more wheels so I can upgrade more cars...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: railmatch oily steel Topic Next Topic: Wm Jackson''s Rocky Mountain Railroad Album  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000