Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Set of the week. (SOTW)
 SOTW March 22 - March 28, 2015
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SOTW March 29 - April 4, 2015 Topic Next Topic: SOTW - March 15 to March 21, 2015  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 22 2015 :  4:02:23 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My SOTW for this week is a set of Penn Line Pennsylvania streamline coaches from the early 1960's that I got with a ton of stuff from my grandparents and one of my uncles.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 22 2015 :  6:04:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi kovacste000,

Wow! those are really nice looking.
There are a lot of people in that "silver cloud" car.
Bussiness is good.

Thanks for sharing.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 22 2015 :  9:01:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Thanks for the kind words, mytyco.I definitely like them.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 23 2015 :  1:34:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Major score!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 23 2015 :  8:17:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Major score!!

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 23 2015 :  1:34:21 PM

Thanks.By the way, guys, is there anyway to replace the couplers on these things? One of them appears to have broken off at some point, on the dome car.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 23 2015 :  8:46:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Major score!!

Thanks.By the way, guys, is there anyway to replace the couplers on these things? One of them appears to have broken off at some point, on the dome car.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 23 2015 :  8:17:14 PM

Stephen, the short answer is "yes" you can replace the couplers. I would like to now EXPLAIN how, but unfortunately my Penn Line streamliners are buried in a box somewhere and my memory is drawing a blank. Any way you can take a close-up pic of the coupler area?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 23 2015 :  9:13:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
Major score!!

Stephen, the short answer is "yes" you can replace the couplers. I would like to now EXPLAIN how, but unfortunately my Penn Line streamliners are buried in a box somewhere and my memory is drawing a blank. Any way you can take a close-up pic of the coupler area?

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 23 2015 :  8:46:52 PM

I can't really reach it right now (I have to dig mine out, too) but I can assure you that the coupler cover is still intact. In fact, the broken coupler is still in there, it's just snapped in half.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 23 2015 :  10:02:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Major score!!

I can't really reach it right now (I have to dig mine out, too) but I can assure you that the coupler cover is still intact. In fact, the broken coupler is still in there, it's just snapped in half.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 23 2015 :  9:13:23 PM

Okay, I just dug it out and replacing the coupler was super simple. All I had to do was take a couple slot on the top off of a clamp thing keeping it in and, well, swap out the coupler. Surely enough, the new horn hook worked. But yeah, here's a picture of the set from the Penn Line 1962 catalog (only year this set appeared).

Now that that's done, how the heck do you put the rear door on the observation coach? I found the door in the parts bin but can't get it back in.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 23 2015 10:12:38 PM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 23 2015 :  10:34:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
A
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Major score!!

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 23 2015 :  9:13:23 PM

Okay, I just dug it out and replacing the coupler was super simple. All I had to do was take a couple slot on the top off of a clamp thing keeping it in and, well, swap out the coupler. Surely enough, the new horn hook worked. But yeah, here's a picture of the set from the Penn Line 1962 catalog (only year this set appeared).

Now that that's done, how the heck do you put the rear door on the observation coach? I found the door in the parts bin but can't get it back in.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 23 2015 :  10:02:54 PM

Oh, wait. Never mind, I figured it out.

-Steve

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 24 2015 :  12:01:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Nice set! I saw the pics of the trains your grandparents found and some of them looked pretty nasty from all the basement time. Is the picture in this thread before or after cleaning? The cars have a nice, realistic grime to them.

To continue the theme this week, here's Tyco's rendition of a Pennsylvania streamliner (circa 1960's).

(Sorry for the awful photo, it's all I have right now!)

Edited by - DaCheez on March 24 2015 12:02:10 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 24 2015 :  09:22:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice set! I saw the pics of the trains your grandparents found and some of them looked pretty nasty from all the basement time. Is the picture in this thread before or after cleaning? The cars have a nice, realistic grime to them.

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 24 2015 :  12:01:37 AM

Thanks.Yeah, I feel the same way about the coaches, and yes, this is after cleaning. All the dirt just refuses to come off.But honestly, they actually look pretty cool. They remind me of Penn Central's stuff since they went all their stuff go to crud, which is ironic because Pennsylvania Railroad was one of the railroads that merged to become Penn Central besides New York Central and I guess New Haven.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 24 2015 :  3:44:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I found that one thing will get off grime and smudges and even Sharpie ink and rust stains - foam cleaning pads that say "Magic Eraser" or something like that on the box. I got my Athearn Frontier Chemical tank shell from a filthy smudged wreck to a looking literally factory-fresh with one of those things. I swear they contain actual magic, they work so well. I use them to clean pretty much every dirty piece of plastic that comes into the house. You can find 'em at walmart, target, anywhere like that.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 24 2015 :  3:46:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
I found that one thing will get off grime and smudges and even Sharpie ink and rust stains - foam cleaning pads that say "Magic Eraser" or something like that on the box. I got my Athearn Frontier Chemical tank shell from a filthy smudged wreck to a looking literally factory-fresh with one of those things. I swear they contain actual magic, they work so well. I use them to clean pretty much every dirty piece of plastic that comes into the house. You can find 'em at walmart, target, anywhere like that.

WARNING: they also take off dry-transfer lettering and, VERY occasionally, the original tampo printing on things. You may want to exercise caution around the lettering on older cars like these if you decide to take them apart and scrub the shells/frame.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 24 2015 :  3:44:23 PM

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 24 2015 :  7:34:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I
quote:
quote:

WARNING: they also take off dry-transfer lettering and, VERY occasionally, the original tampo printing on things. You may want to exercise caution around the lettering on older cars like these if you decide to take them apart and scrub the shells/frame.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 24 2015 :  3:44:23 PM

I might take a look at those, actually. Especially for stuff like these.Thanks for the warning, though.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 24 2015 :  3:46:03 PM

-Steve

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 24 2015 :  10:45:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Aren't magic erasers mildly abrasive? I tried one once on the rubber toes of my shoes. The shoes looked great at first but the tiny scratches they left picked up dirt even faster making them look worse than before. I'm not saying the eraser won't do good for some dirty trains, but definitely use caution.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2015 :  1:48:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What a classic consist, thank you DaCheez, not to worry
it is still a great image.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2015 :  2:05:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Please do not take offense, this model is only depicted as a reference to an
historical event. My friend Gary Walford, who spent 30 years in the Army, who
is a prolific collector, found this rare model of Hitler's private train in Austria, by
Lilliput (I think). Note the armor plating above the drivers and the steel louvers
in Hitler's coach to limit the lethality of a strafing attack. The other coaches, for
his entourage of soldier body guards, is not afforded that luxury.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 25 2015 :  2:09:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

is a prolific collector, found this rare model of Hitler's private train in Austria, by
Lilliput (I think). Note the armor plating above the drivers and the steel louvers
in Hitler's coach to limit the lethality of a strafing attack. The other coaches, for

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 25 2015 :  2:05:38 PM

pfft Its good I likes it
Yes do want one
I likes historical stuffs tho
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 25 2015 :  2:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

pfft Its good I likes it
Yes do want one
I likes historical stuffs tho

Originally posted by microbusss - March 25 2015 :  2:09:08 PM

Me too, man. On top of that, it definitely looks unique.I wonder if there's anyone else that uses this set to help with modeling railroads in Nazi Germany. That would be interesting for historical reasons.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2015 :  3:50:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I don't know the whole background, but I get a sense that
the Nazi issue is pretty sensitive stuff in Germany, and can
get pretty controversial. Interesting question, to be sure.

The post war Marklin production, and Fleischmann, are
technologically amazing and superbly beautiful in all
respects. I particularly love the older style third rail
stud and metal road bed- a really old school vision.

I love to model Victorian British, and even earlier to
first generation- such as the Rocket. The quality of
British goods, alas, is not nearly on the same level
as the Germans.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - March 27 2015 :  2:21:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
No offense as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who would take offense at reminders of what
the world DOES NOT WANT to happened again, is doomed to get back into that situation.

That said, I love that set. You can see the craftmanship put into the design and manufacture.

I'm glad you shared it with us. Fantastic set. Nice score chops.

Edited by - oldtimer52 on March 27 2015 2:22:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 27 2015 :  11:34:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It is fascinating to visit the "dark side" and view evidence of what only our parents and grandparents witnessed. It is like an opportunity to put a face on the devil. Then, not to mention, the rather exquisite German machine work. A time before synthetic fabrics . . . "modern" warfare. Crazy how that little train can get thoughts goin'. I wouldn't be surprised if that train is a real rarity (unless maybe a bunch of folks up in Idaho got 'em).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 28 2015 :  12:49:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
My friend Gary Walford, who spent 30 years in the Army, who
Lilliput (I think).

It's either Liliput or Roco. Interesting set.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 28 2015 :  08:43:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Hey Chops - when was that train manufactured?

It is a very interesting set. And it IS historical. Understandable you are concerned with possible reaction in the PC environment we live in, and as oltimer wrote - we need to remember those days. Thanks for posting.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 28 2015 :  10:57:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
No offense as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who would take offense at reminders of what
the world DOES NOT WANT to happened again, is doomed to get back into that situation.

That said, I love that set. You can see the craftmanship put into the design and manufacture.

I'm glad you shared it with us. Fantastic set. Nice score chops.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - March 27 2015 :  2:21:18 PM

Yeah, it is a gorgeous set, I definitely agree. And honestly, people who are ignorant to the past are doomed to repeat it, it's just a fact of history. Whatever the case, that would be an interesting set to own.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 29 2015 :  2:39:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I really don't know date of manufacture, yes, it
must be Liliput (I was wondering if I confabulated
the name, but it is coming back to me, now).
Judging by Gary's military service, I am guessing it
must be ca. 1980's.

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 01 2015 :  7:51:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Aren't magic erasers mildly abrasive? I tried one once on the rubber toes of my shoes. The shoes looked great at first but the tiny scratches they left picked up dirt even faster making them look worse than before. I'm not saying the eraser won't do good for some dirty trains, but definitely use caution.

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 24 2015 :  10:45:45 PM

If they are, I've never noticed. My Frontier chemical tanker that got a good going over with one is as smooth and shiny as the day it came out of the factory. We might be thinking of slightly different products?

--CRC
  Previous Topic: SOTW March 29 - April 4, 2015 Topic Next Topic: SOTW - March 15 to March 21, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000