Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 CDROM Power Torque Conversion
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Booster 0-4-0 in bright colors? Topic Next Topic: tyco conversion  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 01 2015 :  01:33:22 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I recently rebuilt a PT for a CDROM. Built for a tender drive 0-8-0/2-8-0. Plan on putting it behind a 2-8-0
. What's the life expectancy of these things under normal conditions? I've noticed the motor isn't a high RPM motor even with a 12V power supply. Are these usually powered at least 12 volts? Also, how would a CDROM fit in a diesel and clear the gimble? I don't see how and the thinness I've found was only by a 1/16".

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - March 01 2015 :  05:48:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
Not all of the CD motors are 12v. Some are 3v, some are 6v. The life expectancy depends a lot on how stout the brushes are. As far as the actual conversion question, I'll leave that to the members who have done it.
~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 03 2015 :  11:39:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I posted pics of an f-unit that i did the cd rom motor conversion on several months back. I did have to do some trimming on the gimbal but it fit. i forget where i posted it but i will dig around or just take some fresh pics for you. so far i have had no reliability issues with mine and it is still going strong!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 03 2015 :  5:06:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
What's the minimum radius now? I use 22" mainly and sometimes 18".
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 04 2015 :  01:40:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
it gets around a 22 fine 18 is a bit dicey
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 04 2015 :  01:48:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Here are the pics of that F-unit

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - March 18 2015 :  2:56:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Nice conversion. I need to pick up a bunch more CD-ROM motors.

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Booster 0-4-0 in bright colors? Topic Next Topic: tyco conversion  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000