Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 A trip to the antique mall
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wall 4 Slice of Woodbury Topic Next Topic: Back Again  

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - November 27 2014 :  03:06:22 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
A recent trip to a local antique mall yielded much more than usual. I thought I'd share:

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 27 2014 :  07:31:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Glen That is some interesting trains. What catches my eye is the 2 blue coaches with white roofs. At $7. each a good buy . They appear to be the type made in Austria by Lilliput . They came sold under a different name Electrotrain. I have two of the cars in brown and tan bodies. They are unique for they have the Pullman style narrow vestibule. There size is more correct at about 70 scale feet for many old time name trains of around 1900. If I seen that at $7 to $10 each I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 27 2014 07:32:41 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 27 2014 :  10:19:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Great collection - the "Mennonite Central Committee(?) box car looked interesting, as well as the ACL RPO.

That Nickel Plate caboose would make a great display piece.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 27 2014 :  10:35:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Looks like a pretty neat place to get train stuff. Especially for some of those great prices.Did you get anything while you were there?
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on November 27 2014 10:36:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 27 2014 :  10:58:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like a pretty neat place to get train stuff..Did you get anything while you were there?

Originally posted by kovacste000 - November 27 2014 :  10:35:38 AM

Psyhically speaking, I think he bought that AHM Propeller flat car.... Looks like a great mixture of gauges available there, sometimes antique malls ARE a good place to buy train stuff, if the seller isn't money hungry. Some interesting items for sure.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 27 2014 :  12:33:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well according to Ebay he asking TOO much on the Dinky bug
I think the Mennonite boxcar is hard to get
Would like to know what the prices are on the Muffler sign & the battery billboard
Also the smaller tan colored Bug
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - November 27 2014 :  6:48:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Frank, those white-roofed coaches are indeed Lilliput. And it doesn't surprise me one bit that you knew that! As always, my usual offer stands; if you want 'em and they're still there, they're yours for cost plus ~7.5% sales tax and postage.

Jerry, if you actually want the boxcar, RPO or caboose, let me know!

Stephen and Jerry, the dealer with the propeller flat generally has relatively reasonable prices for HO. (I don't know what's reasonable for other scales since I buy HO exclusively, so I can't speak to that, however.). But no, I did not buy anything this time. I am interested in the propeller flat but wanted to pick everyone's brain here first.

Ben, I'll try to get those prices for you.

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on November 27 2014 6:56:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 20 2015 :  10:30:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
A trip to an antique mall in Greensboro, NC this past weekend netted the following, and all for just $22 + tax!

The Hooker tank car and the Varney Pennsy hopper are missing brake wheels, and the Varney is missing a wheelset, but the rest are complete and unbroken.

The Hopper Car Unloading Set only has the car and instruction sheet, but I have some loose components to add to it to get it closer to complete.

The Pennsy gondola came with that blue box but I don't know if it actually is blue box, since the box is for a C&O gon.

From a purchasing standpoint, this little trip makes up for missing the annual Hickory, NC show, but an antique mall jus' ain't th' same as a good ol' train show!

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 20 2015 :  11:38:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Not bad, man. For $22, you did pretty good.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 21 2015 :  01:27:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice share, Glenn. Always nice to see photos from stores and shops of all kinds...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MBVince
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - April 21 2015 :  4:58:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send MBVince a Yahoo! Message  Add MBVince to Buddylist
quote:
A trip to an antique mall in Greensboro, NC this past weekend netted the following, and all for just $22 + tax!

The Hooker tank car and the Varney Pennsy hopper are missing brake wheels, and the Varney is missing a wheelset, but the rest are complete and unbroken.

The Hopper Car Unloading Set only has the car and instruction sheet, but I have some loose components to add to it to get it closer to complete.

The Pennsy gondola came with that blue box but I don't know if it actually is blue box, since the box is for a C&O gon.

From a purchasing standpoint, this little trip makes up for missing the annual Hickory, NC show, but an antique mall jus' ain't th' same as a good ol' train show!

Originally posted by gmoney - April 20 2015 :  10:30:21 PM

I would like to have the Holly Sugar and Virginian hoppers if you want to sell them.

Vince
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 79  ~  Member Since: January 28 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 21 2015 :  5:56:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist

The Mantua/Tyco operating hoppers are one of my addictions...I could never let those go!

Glenn

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 22 2015 :  11:21:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Cool finds from both of your trips! One of the major streets here has a short stretch that's relatively saturated with antique places...two individual shops and an antique mall. I was there last summer and saw some trains. One vendor had old Brown Box Tyco, but it was all stuff I have and the prices were nothing special.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 22 2015 :  11:38:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
it's hard to find decent prices on trains in antique stores - at least the ones I have been too, and we tend to stop at one whenever we can. They price them like "antiques"
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 22 2015 :  5:13:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Eric & Jerry,

Yeah, antique malls around here usually value model trains at "antique" prices too, on those rare occasions that I even find them. I just got plain lucky this last time.

Glenn

richard p
Little Six

Posted - April 23 2015 :  4:56:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Nice score on the Tyco Blue Box (my favorite era). Is the US Navy rare?
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 23 2015 :  9:41:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if that propeller flat car says $5 that is CHEAP
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - June 06 2015 :  5:52:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by richard p - April 23 2015 :  4:56:28 PM

Sorry I just noticed this! I have no idea if the US Navy flat is rare or not; maybe someone else does? I got it because I thought it would look good with my US Navy operating hopper.

Glenn

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 06 2015 :  6:29:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I just noticed this. Great finds! Most of the prices look good too, especially for the "antique" market.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 06 2015 :  6:50:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by richard p - April 23 2015 :  4:56:28 PM

Sorry I just noticed this! I have no idea if the US Navy flat is rare or not; maybe someone else does? I got it because I thought it would look good with my US Navy operating hopper.

Originally posted by gmoney - June 06 2015 :  5:52:57 PM

I remember Battleship Grey flats and boxes..and 44-toners.
You've never lived until you're standing next to the drydock and they decide to push a couple of flats loaded with bits for your boat in. The first really sharp curve, they stop, brakeman unloads, uncouples after closing the air cocks, engine backs up oh 3 or 4 feet, he closes the knuckles then he grabs the coupler extender off the pilot, drops in one coupler, while the conductor signals the engineer to move in slowly...and the brakie drops the extender in the other coupler and off they go.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - June 06 2015 :  11:04:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
What's a coupler extender?
Glenn

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 21 2022 :  6:23:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Treasures at your local antique store.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - January 21 2022 :  7:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Where was this?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 22 2022 :  11:26:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I should of asked about the muffler sign

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 31 2022 :  2:11:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - January 22 2022 :  11:26:46 AM

Buss, you did ask about the muffler sign back when I first posted it, but I never got you an answer, and now that antique booth is long gone.

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on January 31 2022 2:14:19 PM

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 31 2022 :  2:20:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Where was this?

Originally posted by thesiding - January 21 2022 :  7:54:50 PM

The pictures in the first post are from Lake Norman Antique Mall in Mooresville, NC. The second set of pics is from Antique Marketplace in Greensboro, NC. The antique malls are still in business, but those particular antique booths are long gone.

Glenn

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 31 2022 :  4:12:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - January 22 2022 :  11:26:46 AM

Buss, you did ask about the muffler sign back when I first posted it, but I never got you an answer, and now that antique booth is long gone.

Originally posted by gmoney - January 31 2022 :  2:11:22 PM

yes I did

I did get one of them Holly Sugar cars
now I needs the Brach's Candies one

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 31 2022 :  10:25:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
In my experience, the Brach’s is hard to find, and expensive!

Glenn

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - February 01 2022 :  11:21:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
There is/was one in Selma North Carolina not far from active Amtrak line It also sells Jam AND on rt 30 near Paradise PA is The Cackleberry Mall It has well practically EVERYTHING Can easily spend a WHOLE day there REGARDLESS if you buy or do not buy anything Check my Youtube channel arielfilmsinc for a walkthrough
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 01 2022 :  7:14:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
In my experience, the Brach’s is hard to find, and expensive!

Originally posted by gmoney - January 31 2022 :  10:25:56 PM

most of them dump cars are!
  Previous Topic: Wall 4 Slice of Woodbury Topic Next Topic: Back Again  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000