Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 easy "cheap" way of turning down flanges?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Handy Dandy Spring Wire Topic Next Topic: Other Forum  

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - October 20 2014 :  12:09:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
So, I'm having issues with my C-630, seems it doesn't agree with ballasted track! Now other than trying to regroove all the main is there a simple easy way of turning down these #%$@#$ flanges?

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 20 2014 :  4:34:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Run it slow upside down and use a file. Just very little at a time.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 20 2014 :  8:44:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Is that the only engine you are having trouble with, or others as well? I'd imagine that there has to be a "ballast gauge" that will check your mainline for depth of ballast interference, atlhough I've never seen one. That has got to be important, though, to keep your track clear of ballast lumps near the rails.

jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 20 2014 :  11:50:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Run it slow upside down and use a file. Just very little at a time.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - October 20 2014 :  4:34:55 PM

Wouldn't that get metal filings in the motor and gears?

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - October 21 2014 :  12:00:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
Is that the only engine you are having trouble with, or others as well? I'd imagine that there has to be a "ballast gauge" that will check your mainline for depth of ballast interference, atlhough I've never seen one. That has got to be important, though, to keep your track clear of ballast lumps near the rails.

jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - October 20 2014 :  8:44:43 PM

yes Jerry the C-630 is the only one....most likely because its the only one with original tyco style wheels

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2014 :  12:47:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It's probably more work in the short run, but in the long run, it'd likely be less work to fix the real problem. Your flange ways are not supposed to be plugged up with ballast.

Trying to file down the flanges raises the question: "are all axles powered?" If not, just running it upside down against a file does little for the unpowered axles. Another question: "Are all the wheels and gears pressed on the axles strongly enough to withstand the filing?"

Also, do you know how well the engine will track and run on smaller flanges that may not be contoured the same as on a wheel that was made for smaller flanges? The shape of the flanges is as important as their size.

You also have to ask yourself if this one engine will be the last and only equipment you'll ever want to run that has big flanges.

Except in grade crossings and places where tracks are laid in gravel roadways, most tracks are not ballasted above the tie tops.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 25 2014 :  8:16:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The best way to do it is to pop one wheel off the axle, chuck the axle in a drill and carefully turn the flange to profile while checking with an NMRA gauge. You can get the brass wheels off with a puller, or support them in a vise and tap the axle out with a punch if you don't have one.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 27 2014 :  8:10:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - October 20 2014 :  8:44:43 PM

yes Jerry the C-630 is the only one....most likely because its the only one with original tyco style wheels

Originally posted by rgcw5 - October 21 2014 :  12:00:37 AM

What code is your track? Perhaps it's not hitting stray ballast, but the nubs on the plastic ties which hold the rails. Just a thought.

I seem to remember a few of my engines hitting rock in a section of heavily ballasted track on my old layout. I believe I ended up just dragging a screwdriver along the inside edge of each rail and then vacuuming any loose chunks off the track.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - October 28 2014 :  10:34:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Cheez,

Its code 100 atlas, and I learned something after replacing a turnout at my brewery last night, 2/3 of the track, my brother did and he just "did it" and was doing a more astetic (realistic) look(which now is making some sense) so, yeah.... I gotta do the "drag" on the tracks

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pipey61
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 27 2014 :  3:11:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pipey61 to Buddylist
Perhaps it's a bit late to chime in, but I have similar issues with Lima and AHM locomotives from the 70s. They all have the "pizza wheel" flanges. I have had some success using a Dremel tool with the grinding wheel atttachment and running it on the lowest setting against the flanges to gradually grind them down.
It works well on unpowered wheels, too. Be sure to take your time. I tested a Lima FP 45 six-axle unit through code 83 switches and it went smoothly - it cleared the "spike heads", no catching, binding or derailing.
Be sure to take a bit off at a time and let the wheels cool down. If they are metal with plastic insulating on one side you could overheat the wheel and melt the plastic.

quote:
So, I'm having issues with my C-630, seems it doesn't agree with ballasted track! Now other than trying to regroove all the main is there a simple easy way of turning down these #%$@#$ flanges?

Originally posted by rgcw5 - October 20 2014 :  12:09:50 PM

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: February 16 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 02 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - November 27 2014 :  3:27:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
They should run fine on code 100 rail but it is common to get ballast built up around the big spike detail on flextrack. Also, check the gauge of your wheelsets first, if the gauge is narrow the wheels will ride a bit lower than if they are properly gauged. Did you look to see if the traction tires are still there? If the tires have rotted away..there is the problem. Often the groves for the tires build up with gunk and it might appear that the tire is there when in fact it is long gone. I run my all original C-630s on track from code 83 up to 100 and have never had the problem unless a tire is missing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - November 28 2014 :  2:40:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
rgcw5:

I agree with the people who say to clean the stray ballast off the track. Code 100 is high enough to run even the old AHM flanges. Tyco flanges aren't as tall as those. No sense risking stripped gears to fix something that isn't broken, when the track is easy (if a little tedious) to correct.

I usually take the end of a flat screwdriver and run it around, held against the rail web on the inner side. Sometimes I use a single edge razor blade too.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - November 28 2014 :  4:47:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Anyone have suggestions for turning down the flanges on an AHM mallet for use on a Code 80 layout? Or am I better off getting replacement drivers, and if so, what ones?
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - December 02 2014 :  09:30:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
Anyone have suggestions for turning down the flanges on an AHM mallet for use on a Code 80 layout? Or am I better off getting replacement drivers, and if so, what ones?

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - November 28 2014 :  4:47:04 PM

PRR:

About twenty years ago, a reader submitted his setup to MR for grinding down AHM flanges. I remember the details very well, but not the exact issue - it was in MR Workshop or Clinic, I think. He recommended his improvised setup despite having a lathe, because the old AHM driver centers were fragile and their metal tires slipped easily. The setup was designed to avoid heavy stresses or heat buildup.

I've drawn up the grinding fixture in CAD. I've never used this setup myself for AHM drivers, but I tested it with some plastic wheelsets, at the time, and it did work.

Two metal strips were bent into ells and slotted partway through their uprights. A wheelset was placed between them and driven by a rubber band or rubber bands looped around its axle and the output shaft of a small AC motor. The original motor was from an old food mixer. You could use a drill motor with a piece of rod chucked in it. Speed was high (maybe 2000 rpm?) but torque was minimal. "Light finger pressure on the driver tire should be enough to stop the wheel from rotating". Plastic uprights were recommended when using this setup with plastic-axle wheelsets.

The flanges were ground down by brushing a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool lightly against the flange (obliquely ) while the wheelset spun. (A grinding wheel also works, I find.) The reader also recommended that any bulging traction rings be carefully trued after the flanges were ground, in the same fixture ( I guess with an emery board or sandpaper or something, he didn't specify a tool for it).

Despite the deliberate lack of any radial cutting action (which would tend to slip the metal tires), the job goes quicker than you might think. I found it easy to take too much material off plastic wheelsets this way. I would recommend adding some kind of steady rest for the hand holding the Dremel tool. Nothing complicated, just something to rest the hand on - a block of wood would do. Taking hand steadiness out of the equation is a key to delicate work with simple tools.

The reader ended with a subtle suggestion that more information on rebuilding low-cost trainshow equipment for renewed service on model railroads would be a Good Thing for other MR readers. No significant evidence that the hint was ever taken. :/

Edited by - Autobus Prime on December 02 2014 09:32:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Handy Dandy Spring Wire Topic Next Topic: Other Forum  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000