Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 New GE Steeple Cab project!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Another project finished - custom Cary S-4 Topic Next Topic: Home made Huff n Puff kit  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 07 2014 :  12:36:00 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
One of my gifts this Christmas was an HO scale GE Steeple Cab body kit by Cannonball. The plastic body is easy to assemble and makes a nice looking, easy to customize base for a project.

I have a bunch of details on order at my LHS, but I'll also be making some parts from scratch. Not going for a specific prototype, but it'll at least look believable.

Cannonball includes a simple frame for mounting two Bachmann 44-Tonner trucks (old style), but they're too tall as is. AMB makes a nice lowering kit for better realism. The other option is to use quality power trucks, such as the NWSL Stanton drive, but that's $170 for all wheel drive...

Forget that! I'll do it MY WAY!!!

I'm making my own chassis using a motor and gears by NWSL, brass sheet and tube by K&S, and wheels by Intermountain! I'm using 72DP gears with a 20:1 ratio. Getting everything meshed perfectly has been exceedingly difficult, but I've got one truck put together and working smooth so far. I'll take pictures of the other truck during assembly so you can see my design.

Here's the finished truck (minus paint) next to a Bachmann truck with the motor removed. Quite a difference in size! The NWSL geared truck should also run smoother, and the size difference will allow me to add more weight.

This chassis is still costing me around $100 and a lot of time, but it should all be worth it in the end.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 07 2014 :  12:25:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It'll be fun to watch how this unfolds. When it comes to the frame, the way the trucks mount and pivot and the layout of the drive train should be fascinating.

Keep the pictures coming, Darth!

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 07 2014 :  8:35:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks good Darth. Nice engineering. Must be a pretty tiny motor you're puttin' in there. I'll be looking to see this come along. Thanks. Barry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 14 2014 :  12:10:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Gotten a lot done in the past week! Here's my progress.

Here's the gearing setup. The main gear is a 24 tooth, the idlers are 15 and 10 tooth, and the axle gears are 20 tooth for a 20:1 ratio. I used NWSL 72DP gearing, since the selection of sizes is really good and they're a bit less expensive than their other gears.

Truck #2 assembled! Half the electrical pickup is through the frame, and the other half uses modified Kadee centering springs as wipers. It's reliable enough that it doesn't even know when it's going over a switch. Only this truck has the wide bolster to stabilize the chassis, and the other truck is more free floating for some equalization on rough track.

The assembled chassis! The motor is a 1630D-9 from NWSL, and it's the largest one I could fit in there. It's smooth, powerful, and efficient, giving the chassis excellent running characteristics. I was originally going to put some flywheels in there, but my calculations were off and they didn't fit. Oh well, it's so smooth it doesn't actually need them anyway.

Quick look with the shell sitting on top.

To mount the shell to the frame, I tapped a couple 2-56 holes on each end of the shell and used Kadee plastic 2-56 screws. You'd think plastic wouldn't do much, but this is actually really sturdy!

One coupler mounted! Because of the tight spacing, I can't use standard Kadee couplers. Until I get some Whiskers, I've got a Bachmann (McHenry) in there. The mounting height is perfect according to a Kadee height gauge! Again, plastic screw in a 2-56 hole tapped through the shell.

It needs to run in a little more, but so far, this may be the smoothest runner I've ever built! It's not silent because of the frame design and some slight imperfection in the gear mesh, but it's not loud either. Also, the chassis is so compact and low profile that there's a lot of room leftover for weight! Overall, it's coming together really well!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 14 2014 :  08:26:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi darth santa fe,great progress,at this rate will be purring around your track in no time ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 14 2014 :  08:35:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Darth,
NICE! Impressive work on the gearing of that truck!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 14 2014 :  1:19:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey Darth, That is some very respectable engineering and micro-machining. Man, I'd think you'd have to use a surgical robot to do that stuff. Regarding that noise business, I personally have sort of gotten into the noises these little locomotives make. I mean, what the heck, real locomotives make noise. And it's diagnostic value. And just the fact that when it's runnin' nice, you can kick back and listen to it purr or whatever, like you're enjoying a ride in your favorite just-tuned hot rod. Again, cool work. And thanks for the photo-story. If I ever get so bold as to attempt anything even half-way as adventurous, posts like yours will certainly be an asset.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 14 2014 :  2:27:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Darth, thanks for posting all that. It's fun to see how you meet the challenges of fitting all that mechanism into such a small engine. I've never built anything quite so audacious, but the things I have done help me appreciate the skill and attention that go into something like that.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 14 2014 :  9:12:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks everyone! A robot may have been nice, but I guess I have to work with whatever I've got. That would be a Dremel with cutting wheels, a few drill bits, a milling table, a cheap ruler, a cheap razor, some files, and a soldering iron.

It's running very well, and I think most of the noise is the frame transferring the motor noise to the plastic shell. I may make the opening for the motor a little larger and use some silicon sealant for mounting the motor instead of my current super-glued-directly-to-the-brass setup. Most of the work now should just be detailing.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - January 14 2014 :  9:48:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
awsome work. I haven't seen an article like this since 50's /60's. Model railroader used to run articles about building whole locomotives from scratch in brass (as well as everything else on a layout) I always have been in awe of these true craftsmen, of which you are one. It is a shame that the modeling mags have gotten away from their roots to become glamour publications, featuring shake in the box products.

leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 15 2014 :  12:20:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Amazing scratchbuild, Darth. Did the gears have that I.D. to start with, or did you have to drill them out to fit the tubing? What sort of bearings are on the worm shaft?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 16 2014 :  01:00:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
The gears did have the correct inner diameter for a tight press-fit, but I did drill them out a bit for an easier fit. Since I was constantly pressing and pulling them to adjust the mesh, I didn't want to deal with very tight parts, and they're still snug enough to not slip.

I wish more articles on this kind of stuff were run! I still see some creative things in MRR now and then, but no one seems to want to scratch-build locomotives or cars anymore. Anything that can't be done easily isn't worth doing.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 16 2014 :  2:12:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Anything that can't be done easily isn't worth doing.
Originally posted by Darth Santa Fe - January 16 2014 :  01:00:40 AM

Darth, you've found that you like to tinker and you take the time to do it. It seems that for many the meaning of pastime has been lost.

If you're doing it for fun, you shouldn't be so eager to get it over with, yet I have read articles that sounded like the author was seeking to improve on-the-job productivity in his hobby. You read things to the effect of, "My hobby time is limited so I don't spend time scratch building, or kitbashing, etc. that could be spent building the fleet of 200 helium cars my railroad needs."

I wonder how refreshed one comes away from his hobby if he turns it into another job.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on January 16 2014 2:14:46 PM

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 16 2014 :  2:20:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I was just stating the modern viewpoint. I do this kind of odd, complicated stuff because I like it. It's easy to plop a top-end model on the track, maybe adjust it slightly if needed, but there's nothing like inventing and building something yourself and then seeing it run down the track knowing that it's all yours!

It's not just for trains, either. I've also built my own computer, rebuilt my laptop computer, fixed up an old stereo amplifier, and repaired my own PlayStation 3. Sure, I could've gotten pre-built fully functional stuff just the way I wanted, but why do that when I can do it myself?

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on January 16 2014 2:23:50 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 16 2014 :  4:59:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's my problem... I keep all the old stuff working, which is why I still haven't sprung for a flat screen! (Well, that and I'm cheap. I have the Consumer Reports tech issue, so that's definitely on the shopping list.)

I'm also still using the same computer I bought in 2003 with maxed out upgrades and the original installation of XP... never needed to reformat, because if there was a problem I just found the solution. It's showing its age with HD video, but the only reason I need to replace it is that XP will soon be unsupported. Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it, tho.

I just can't seem to get my mind around the disposable, latest n' greatest society we now live in.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - January 16 2014 :  6:46:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
I'm also still using the same computer I bought in 2003...Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it, tho.

That's nothing! I still have an IBM ThinkPad from '97 or so with Windows 98 installed! It's just used for one or two really old programs now and then.

Those flat screens are so cheap now there's almost no reason not to get one. I got my 40" full HD TV 2 years ago for just over $300, and now you can find one that size for $250 or less (at the right store, anyway)!

I think a lot of people sometimes forget that with a little tuning, some of the really old stuff works as well if not better than the latest and greatest. Balboa 4-4-2 from the 60's? Ok runner. Tuned it up, stuck a coreless motor in there, and it works as smooth and quiet as my top-end stuff! Hobbytown chassis? Many may be noisy, but I'd like to see any of the new stuff outlast one of those! Never heard of a Hobbytown with a split gear, stripped gear, worn out bearings, or burned out motor. If anything, they'll burn out the track first!

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - January 17 2014 :  1:03:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
I agree with scsshaggy

"If you're doing it for fun, you shouldn't be so eager to get it over with, yet I have read articles that sounded like the author was seeking to improve on-the-job productivity in his hobby. You read things to the effect of, "My hobby time is limited so I don't spend time scratch building, or kitbashing, etc. that could be spent building the fleet of 200 helium cars my railroad needs."

I love it when I go to a show and get an engine for $10 cause it doesn't run, only to get it home and clean the contact and some minor tinkering,and plop it on the rails and watch it run. I just love the feeling of accomplishment when this happens.

As nickleplate759 says, I too keep keep my old stuff running, partly because of the rising prices ( the cost of a new engine with all the bells and whistles approaching a monthly payment of a BMW) and partly because, as darth pointed out, the quality.

Don't forget Varney and early Mantuas were from an era before the theory of "planned obsolescence" took over everything in our daily lives. That ranges from not only products we buy, but social values and education as well. I just found out that the school system where my 6 yr old granddaughter will no longer teach cursive handwritting. The reasoning being we are a digital society and everything is done on keyboards. It is a sad day when handwriting is obsolete.

leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 17 2014 :  1:28:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I wonder if someone who hasn't been taught cursive writing can read it. I learned it but was so bad at it that I print everything, anyway. Still, when I see it, I can decipher it because I know what the writer was attempting to do.
Carpe Manana!

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - February 01 2014 :  12:31:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Just a little update today.

I painted the trucks silver, the frame and motor black, and added chains to all the trucks as I've seen on some prototypes. I'm also starting on some of the detail. These were probably the most tedious parts to do. The rest should be a little easier.

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 01 2014 :  06:27:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Awesome, Darth!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 01 2014 :  09:28:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Tidy looking work! It looks like you're 1 coupler, a few detail parts and some paint away from a working locomotive. That's going some when you consider that you started with just a shell.
Carpe Manana!

SPSF_SD45
Switcher

lol

Posted - February 01 2014 :  3:31:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SPSF_SD45 to Buddylist
Darth, I have admired your obscure reviews and projects for a long time on the Model Railroader website. I especially liked the grandt line boxcab with the huge motor Good to see you on the forums here. You have been my inspiration to try new and unusual things.

Your steeple cab looks like another great what-will-happen-if-I-stick-a-giant-motor-in-here ordeal, and I can't wait to see the finished project!!

J.B.
Modeling the modern-day SPSF in HO scale

https://www.facebook.com/SPandSF?ref=hl
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 65  ~  Member Since: October 04 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 22 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 02 2014 :  11:12:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Mighty fine Darth. I'm thinking it would be real fun to see a video of this little gem doing some work when it's ready.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 02 2014 :  11:26:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
beginning to fall in love with that stepple cab ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SD9_Cadillac
Switcher

PE etiwanda stamp

Posted - March 08 2014 :  11:39:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SD9_Cadillac to Buddylist
Hey Darth,
Do you do side projects?? We have an old Sydum PE freight motor (1600 class) that needs some work. Thanks!

Modeling the Modern Pacific Electric, freight operations in HO scale.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: January 25 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - March 10 2014 :  7:23:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I think I could help with that. Just send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 06 2017 :  12:03:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Why has it been so long since I've made progress and updated this?  I don't know.
I'm trying to get a number of desk clogging projects out of the way so I can get back to the Arbour Models 2-8-4, and this one's next in line.

Adding lots of details! Just a few more small touches, and this'll be ready to paint. I carefully drilled the headlights for 1.5mm bulbs in a way that will keep the wires completely hidden, and it should look good when it's finished! Since there's basically no two alike with these things, I just referenced a bunch of prototypes and other models to come up with something.

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on June 06 2017 12:04:30 AM

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 06 2017 :  01:00:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Awesome looking little critter, pair this with the LaBelle freight motor and you're already halfway there for a traction railroad. :P
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 06 2017 :  10:48:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Somehow I've never noticed this thread before. Very nice work! Do you get all your parts through your LHS or order online or...? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for half the stuff being used in this build.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 07 2017 :  10:59:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
http://horoscopicastrologyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/antikythera-mechanism.jpg
Now we know where that came from! Remarkable craftsmanship.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 07 2017 :  7:13:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
Somehow I've never noticed this thread before. Very nice work! Do you get all your parts through your LHS or order online or...? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for half the stuff being used in this build.

Originally posted by DaCheez - June 06 2017 :  10:48:57 AM

It depends on what I need. I order a lot of parts through my LHS whenever I can, but other parts are only available manufacterer direct.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2017 :  07:01:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* The steeple cab is starting to look good. I spent the last 20 minutes looking for photos of the one my son made and can't find them. I still have the same project in a box waiting for me to build it. It is a cannon ball kit. I gathered the main thing necessary for it. The Bachmann GE 44 T drive is suggested as the loaner drive for it.
* This goes right there with other projects waiting to be done.

Here are my steeple cab projects. one cannonball kit and a larger brass kit by Red Ball.

This is what I have for my Cannon Ball project.

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 09 2017 06:33:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2017 :  07:14:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This is what I have for my Red Ball Steeple cab project. I will use the same loaner drive (Bachmann GE-44-ton) for this project.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 09 2017 06:31:35 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 08 2017 :  12:02:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Toptrain, I think you mean GE 44-ton, not the 6-axle E44 electric.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 08 2017 :  6:20:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
That Red Ball Steeple Cab looks like a nice kit! I may have to look into one someday.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 08 2017 :  6:21:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
were these Steeple Cabs always electric?
or were there some gas or diesel ones?

Am imagining this in Pacific Electric colors
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 08 2017 :  7:00:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
I'm pretty sure "Steeplecab" is an electric locomotive-exclusive term, there are some European diesel locomotives that kind of resemble steeplecabs, but they're classed as centercabs, switchers, or short-trip locomotives.
sim-al2
純那
yeah

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 08 2017 :  11:06:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
There were a lot of center cab diesels in the U.S. as well.
Carpe Manana!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 09 2017 :  06:30:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Toptrain, I think you mean GE 44-ton, not the 6-axle E44 electric.

Originally posted by Pokemonprime - June 08 2017 :  12:02:17 PM

OPPS. I do mean GE-44-ton. Tried to do it too fast.
Thanks, Frank

toptrain

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 09 2017 :  09:43:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
quote:
There were a lot of center cab diesels in the U.S. as well.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - June 08 2017 :  11:06:05 PM

There were, but Europe embraced them a lot harder than we did. Over there I'm pretty sure it's a bit of a switch from over here, more centercabs than endcabs. Larger ones are still their standard switchers.

sim-al2
純那
yeah

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 15 2017 :  8:42:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Just adding these photos back since I had to change over from Photobucket. Looks like the others are somehow directly uploaded to the forum, so at least I don't have to change much!

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 19 2017 :  10:59:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
It's finally finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMHGV8Atx0

I'll get some good pictures later.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 20 2017 :  09:35:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Sweet little freight motor. It's nice to see the end product.
Carpe Manana!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 20 2017 :  7:28:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice Darth. Thanks for posting the video; fun to watch in action.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 20 2017 :  11:50:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
but IF I did one of these
It'd be detailed for Pacific Electric
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 21 2017 :  12:17:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Looks great!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 22 2017 :  7:03:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Ok, here are the photos.

Just after painting

Decals in place

All done!

Now, onto finishing that custom lead Cary switcher, a couple other small projects, and then I can get back to work on the Arbour 2-8-4.

Previous Topic: Another project finished - custom Cary S-4 Topic Next Topic: Home made Huff n Puff kit  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000