Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Has anyone ever tried the Layout Expander System?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Handrails Topic Next Topic: Tyco HO Fire House
Page: of 2

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 09 2013 :  11:07:18 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I remember seeing that during the brown box era, Tyco offered their Track Layout Expander for anyone who purchased a train set with just a circle or a 45x36" oval of track to wire it for two-train operation. But then there is the instruction manual describing their "railroad empire" that can be constructed via the Layout Expander System...

I wonder if anyone here has ever tried to construct that track plan of sorts? If you don't want to use Tyco track, Atlas Code-100 snap-track would also do the trick nicely.
The manual describes how to do it in stages, first assembling it as the track plan the Track Layout Expander makes out of an ordinary track circle, and then adding more track and accessories as you go on.

I was planning on doing this on my layout, but I discovered that Atlas True-Track can't really handle what Tyco had in mind. HOWEVER, the Layout Expander System manual showed a few "Other Suggested Track Layouts," and there was one track plan I figured I could do on my layout with a bit of modification...

That has since resulted in THIS:

Complete with blocking switch set, but done with terminal rail joiners instead of terminal track sections. Nonetheless it still looks very interesting, and does offer some expansion possibilities.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 09 2013 :  11:20:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I would use nickel silver Atlas snap track. Brass would be cool, just finding what ya need at times would be tricky.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 09 2013 :  1:02:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
I would use nickel silver Atlas snap track. Brass would be cool, just finding what ya need at times would be tricky.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - February 09 2013 :  11:20:53 AM

Plus, nickel silver performs much better than brass anyways. Most of my layout uses Atlas nickel-silver True Track, though the Power-Loc spur and the railroad crossings have steel track.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - February 09 2013 :  3:33:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Just looking at the images from the booklet Tyco included in its train sets is bringing back warm and fuzzy childhood memories! Thanks Wiley!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - February 09 2013 :  4:49:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
My first Tyco set was the Spirit of 76 over and under set. This was followed by my first real layout using the layout expander. It was a cool track plan for a 12 year old kid. I had lots of fun with that layout. I bought the expander and used the components included, i.e. track and switches. I added most of the items they had listed, all of the operating accessories, my building differed some.
It took a lot of news paper deliveries to complete the layout way back when. All great memories.

Tom

Edited by - eaglerock109 on February 09 2013 4:50:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 09 2013 :  8:04:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
That is a very nice layout that you have there Wiley. It brings back to mind a lot of old memories for me. It features a lot of things I also have or have had in the past. Thanks for sharing it.

I have wanted to build the Railroad Empire layout since I was a youngster and I had first seen in back in the seventies. School, family, and job life has kept me from even attempting it. Well, the time has finally arrived with the last child about to leave the nest in another year. Although a large railroad pike is in the plans, I need something to play with sooner then a large pike will allow.

One day I ran across my copy of the Layout Expander System book and I knew that I needed to get that item crossed off my bucket list. For the past six months I have scouring the attic, basement, workshop, and garage for all my old goodies. In addition to a few auction purchases, I pretty much have what I am going to need to get started, and get it built.

I have expanded the original plan a bit, it's basic footprint will be 5' x 9'. It will also have an additional 1-1/2' wide fold under shelf along each 9' length. One shelf will be for a yard and the other will be for an engine facility. With my current inventory of TYCO track, and the lack of finding any 22" radius curves in Tru Steel, I am planning on using old TYCO brass track. I think I am going to go old school and use cab/block control as we did back in the day. I think it gives a person a more "hands on" feel to a layout. Blane
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - February 09 2013 :  11:05:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
I have laid everything out once on a sheet of plywood...just to see what it looks like in the flesh. It certainly would entertain a youngster for some time after the holidays.

Nostalgia factor = 100%.

The decorated layout mat (7930) is the "Achilles Heel." I have never seen one in the history of eBay, though using some creativity, one could construct a mat with green pool table felt, fabric paint, and Woodland Scenics "spongy" roadbed. There is a diagram of the layout with grid marks in the Layout Expander System booklet, there's just the matter of getting the measurements set. A cheapo craft/hobby projector could come in handy to set the grid marks up accurately on the felt.

It would be neat to see it in action!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 12 2013 :  6:46:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
The decorated layout mat (7930) is the "Achilles Heel." I have never seen one in the history of eBay, though using some creativity, one could construct a mat with green pool table felt, fabric paint, and Woodland Scenics "spongy" roadbed. There is a diagram of the layout with grid marks in the Layout Expander System booklet, there's just the matter of getting the measurements set. A cheapo craft/hobby projector could come in handy to set the grid marks up accurately on the felt.

It would be neat to see it in action!

Originally posted by theoldreliable - February 09 2013 :  11:05:25 PM

I think the decorated layout mat was only available for a very short period of time. I recently got the 1977 layout expander system manual, and it doesn't mention anything about the layout mat. Instead, it mentions how to decorate your layout. There is a grid system of sorts to draw it out on the 4x8 plywood table, then a paragraph on how to paint the road and lake, and sprinkle grass and ballast in the appropriate areas.
Then again, the 1975 manual said it was optional: "you may prefer to paint and decorate your layout." I guess most customers decided to do their own landscaping when building the Tyco Layout Expander system, as aside from that system mat and an undecorated mat they also offered (number 980), they never offered any scenic or landscaping products the way their rivals Bachmann and Life-Like did (though Life-Like didn't get as big a competitor to Tyco and Bachmann until the 1980s, I think.) Woodland Scenics also started up in 1974, so chances are customers may have also wanted to use their new products with Tyco train layouts...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 12 2013 :  7:17:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
I remember going to the hobby stores and never leaving without looking for that mat in all the nooks and crannies. The department stores back then always carried tons of TYCO and Bachmann at Christmas time, but I never did see one there either. As said it is and was the Achilles heel for the layout. That could be why I never did get around to building the layout back then. Now, I am planning to just tweak the original plan a little bit and build up my roads and other scenery for it with a bit more realistic techniques.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 13 2013 :  10:43:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
My 1975 layout expander book doesn't have the decorating section in it. Any chance you can show that part of the book? I would be interested in seeing that as I want to follow the basic layout plan and that may hep a bit with the scenery aspect.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 13 2013 :  6:05:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
My 1975 layout expander book doesn't have the decorating section in it. Any chance you can show that part of the book? I would be interested in seeing that as I want to follow the basic layout plan and that may hep a bit with the scenery aspect.

Originally posted by blaneo - February 13 2013 :  10:43:45 AM

I shall get around to scanning it, probably tomorrow.
Plus, the 1975 expander booklet does say about the mat: "This is OPTIONAL; you may prefer to paint and decorate your layout."
I am guessing not many people bought the decorated layout mat and decided to do the landscaping themselves so it'd look more realistic, hence the layout mat's very short availability.

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 14 2013 :  09:04:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. What I would be most interested in, would be to see how the grid lays out on the plan.
Blane

Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

speedfreek101
Switcher

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 18 2014 :  11:29:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add speedfreek101 to Buddylist
I have never attempted trying a difficult layout. I need to get some blocking controllers and try this. Thanks for showing me the expander system.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 13  ~  Member Since: February 28 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 23 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 30 2014 :  10:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Wouldn't it be easier to use nickle silver flex track instead of brass or steel sectional track for this spaghetti bowl track plan? I understand the nostalgic appeal of building this layout as it was designed but for reliability and maintenance purposes it might be wiser to avoid the corrosion and electrical problems that come with inferior rail and jointed sectional track sections.
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - June 08 2014 :  11:36:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
That could be possible.
In fact, my newest layout is partly based off the original Layout Expander System track plan, made out of mostly Code-100 Atlas nickel-silver sectional track. However, it has an additional extension on the bottom, and it uses DCC instead of the blocking control.

However, I DID install an Atlas Connector switch so I can turn off and on the power to one of the sidings, for parking a non-DCC locomotive there.

It turns out, two versions of the black-cover Layout Expander System manual exist. There is one from 1977 that is 32 pages long, like the original 1975 edition, and has most of the same material, but no mention of the Layout Expander System mat (instead showing how you would landscape your layout by showing a diagram on what goes where), and it also has a two-page spread showing TYCO's available building kits and accessories of the time. It also does not have the glossary like the 1975 edition did.
The second version I believe is actually from 1978 or 1979, despite still carrying a 1977 copyright notice, is only 28 pages long, and removes quite a bit of content from the last one (it does not show what kind of locomotives, building kits or accessories are available to use, and it also omits two of the "other suggested track layouts," and in the maintenance section, it mentions Tru-Steel track, suggesting that it's from at least 1978 (when that sort of track came out.)
I might scan the initial 1977 edition and upload it to HOSeeker.net.

I will admit, the 1975 layout picture does look nice...

But it does seem a bit sparse in accessories and buildings. If I were building that layout in the 1970s, I would probably also add some Plasticville and Life-Like building kits, maybe some of Bachmann's signs and signals available at the time, as well as some trees, lychen and such. I probably would not use the Layout Expander System mat either; I would instead probably do my own landscaping, like what many customers that built this layout probably opted for. The end result would have then looked quite a bit like my current layout but in 4x8 and with brass track.

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - June 10 2014 :  12:00:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
I've commented on this layout expander booklet before, but for the newer guys here-- notice how none of the switches or accessories or power packs have any wires connected to them! Even so, I've always wanted to re-create a layout that matches that cover!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 02 2014 :  3:39:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Had some free time over the weekend, so I somewhat recreated the layout plan with some changes.
The scenery and effect is minimal but still fun to run. Easy to take apart after use.
The benefit of this plan is you do not need a permanent layout. You just need imagination and patience.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 01 2015 :  2:19:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
Hello everyone,
After a few attempts I've finally been able to register to this forum.

I've been working on the Tyco Layout expander for a little while now. I am up to stage four. Ive followed the directions exactly. Next step is wiring and decoration.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: March 01 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 01 2015 :  3:05:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: March 01 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 01 2015 :  3:58:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
remember that PRINTED layout sheets that Tyco made?
What would be uber cool to do is that whole layout in 3D
but use all the sheets including the middle scene
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 01 2015 :  4:10:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
COOL layout, BPD! Looks like a lot of fun as is
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 01 2015 :  5:46:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
Any suggestions on uncoupling ramps? The layout calls for two. Wondering if I can use something other than the tyco prestomatic one.

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - March 01 2015 :  6:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Atlas made an uncoupling track. I don't know what they still make, but you should be able to find one on ebay. It looks like a regular straight rerailer, with a spring-loaded uncoupler in the middle. It works like the ramp in the picture above, but it's built into the section of track. If I remember right you just back the couplers into it, then pull away.

Great layout, btw.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 03 2015 :  3:06:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
Update of my "Tyco Layout Expander" layout. The last three sidings are laid out including the dumping ore car. Waiting to get uncouplers before I nail it down.
One question I have is how is a train expected to back on to sidings 3 & 4(The ones with bumper track)? The pictures Tyco has on the cover has the trains backed in. Pardon my ignorance I'm totally new to all of this. Thanks for the previous compliments.

Edited by - BPD2144 on March 03 2015 3:41:10 PM

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - March 05 2015 :  12:32:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
BPD2144:

I'm not sure what you're saying, but I'll take a shot. Does your layout have block wiring? I mean, are the separate "loops" of track insulated and wired separately on switches? That allows you to "park" some trains and run others, in whatever direction you want .

With a layout like this, you should be able to have separate sections of track "blocked off" so that you can activate/deactivate them as necessary. That way you can run a couple trains at once, while the others sit still.

On the layout in the picture, the loop that the SF passenger train is on would need to be electrically isolated from the inner loop, which would run separately. The sidings where the other trains are parked would also be isolated. On/off switches activate the track. This is a lot easier to explain in person, but I'll do what I can.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 05 2015 :  12:14:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
Thanks for the reply.

By following the layout expander direction the two trains run together on the outside loop and the inner isolated loop (the loop with the KFC) using two separate powerpacks.

If I put the "Chattanooga" on the outer loop and parked it. The "Santa Fe" on my layout would still run counter clockwise on the inner loop. (Both on one power pack with blocking switch)

If you look at my pic the B&M engine is running counter clockwise with the Bullet train parked on the outer loop.

My question is how do I get the B&M to run clockwise? Did I miss a step in the directions? (Quite possibly) Is this as simple as running the train in "reverse". (placing the train on the track in the opposite direction).

Thanks for the help.

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - March 05 2015 :  8:57:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
In case you didn't notice, you still have another siding to add to the layout to make it complete. There should be another siding between the two outer loops. That would allow you another place to spot that extra train, and open up one of the outer loops. The siding should be in the area where you have the station and railroad crossing.

You have five trains on the layout, and the track work as currently laid out, is designed for only four trains. Not that you can't run five trains, but it would take some extra block sections and additional wiring. You would have to set it up so that one of the loops has two block sections in it, so that you could park both the Chattanooga and the Santa Fe on the same loop. Then you could pull the B&M out to make it's deliveries. With the direction that you have it facing, it could only run counter clockwise, unless you run it in reverse. And local freights are often seen operating in reverse.

Remember that this layout was designed to show off as many of the operating accessories as possible, and they crammed everything they could into it. It wasn't really designed for true operation. In fact the layout was only designed for four trains, with only two trains operating at one time. It was designed to use four power packs, but two are for the accessories, and the other two are for running the trains. It was designed for the average person, easy for them to put together and have some fun with their trains. It is a great 4x8 layout and it is perfect to show off our Tyco stuff. But unless you want to really complicate things, and add a reversing section of some sort, you will not be able to get you trains to run in the opposite direction. That and dealing with the limited 4x8 space it would be tough to lay the track out and have it look good.

Don't give up on it, you have a great looking layout. Think about getting that last siding added, and it will help open things up for you.

It is a great layout to just "have fun" with, things don't always have to be complex. I have an expanded version that I am planning to build for the grandsons, that will include a freight yard and engine facility to help alleviate some of the congestion on the main route and allow more variation to the trains. Hope to get started on it soon, and I share my progress as soon as I can get started on it.

Hope that this helped some.

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 06 2015 :  10:13:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
Thanks for replying. I think you were looking at wks layout.

Mine does have the two sidings. (the pic w/ the black chair in it) I have 4 trains not looking to run 5.

Just want to know how to get the trains to run clockwise so that they can be backed on to the sidings. The trains currently run counter clockwise.

I am that average person. Just purchased the Layout expander bc its "supposed" to be step by step. Frustrating but fun. Thanks for the help.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 06 2015 :  12:22:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

Just want to know how to get the trains to run clockwise so that they can be backed on to the sidings. The trains currently run counter clockwise.

Originally posted by BPD2144 - March 06 2015 :  10:13:26 AM

Sorry if I am misreading or misunderstanding the question, but as to switching the direction your trains run - doesn't your power supply have a switch for that(forward/reverse)?

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 06 2015 :  12:43:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hi Mark, That layout is pretty fun looking. Looks like you could do a bunch of maneuvers. Regarding that "dead end" that you don't see a way to back up into . . . with my small layout, I have had that situation where you think that things are strayed too far from "reality". My less desirable option was to keep a switch engine backed up on the track to pull the cars in to the work area. Your layout will be fun with all the "operating" things.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 06 2015 :  7:34:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
If you look at the Tyco layout expander booklet cover you have trains running in opposite directions. If you look at the pic from wks there is a Santa Fe running on the inner loop in a clockwise direction.

Following the directions: power pack 1 runs the inner and outer loops. If the power pack directional switch is put in forward a train will travel counter clockwise on both loops. Therefore if I park a train on a siding the engine will go in head first facing in up against the bumper.

I'm asking how do you get a train to run clockwise on the layout? Do I park a train on the outer loop, then place a train on the inner loop facing clockwise and run it in "reverse" to have it go clockwise? Therefore being able to back the trains in on sidings 3 & 4.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 06 2015 :  8:21:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Any way you can scan the directions and post them? Because I don't quite understand the concept.
What does Power Pack 2 do?
If you have a train running on the outer loop AND the inner loop - controlled by ONE Power Pack - and they are going opposite directions, then the two loops need to be isolated from each other. Are they?
AND...if they are indeed isolated, then you would have a set of wires running from the Power Pack to both loops. IF so, then simply reverse the wire connections on one loop.

Or have I missed the whole thing entirely?

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 07 2015 :  12:17:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Do I park a train on the outer loop, then place a train on the inner loop facing clockwise and run it in "reverse" to have it go clockwise?

Originally posted by BPD2144 - March 06 2015 :  7:34:39 PM

The short answer is "yes."

The problem is that the polarity switch on the power pack is labeled "Forward" and "Reverse." This is fine if you are running one train on a simple loop, but with multiple trains facing different directions, those labels are basically useless. Instead, think of the polarity switch as choosing between "East" and "West" or something similar. That way, in order to run an eastward-facing train forward, set the switch to "East" and to run a westward-facing train forward, set the switch to "West."

I hope this helps, and doesn't confuse matters more instead.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - March 07 2015 :  12:25:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist

This is my wiring diagram for the layout. Red lines indicate insulated joiners, green lines indicate power feeds. This would allow parking of the trains pretty much anywhere you want to. Again this is not the original wiring for the layout.

The transformers and switches just happen to be on the image because I have not taken them off the original drawing. The number 4 transformer controls the smaller inner loop on the left. The number 1 transformer controls the main line with the two outer loops to the right of the design. These were blocked off to allow parking of one train while operating the other. The number 2 and 3 transformers are to power up the accessories only. The design can really only handle two trains running at once. And the cover picture shows two trains running clockwise and two trains running counter clockwise. But run them how ever you want. I have always thought of this layout as having two through trains, with an additional two trains running as locals serving the industries and local town.

And you are correct For some reason the pictures are not located in the same orientation as they were when I looked at them. My Bad.

Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 07 2015 :  09:02:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Makes a little more sense now. Although....I don't see the logic in having 4 Power Packs with only one running your two main trains.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 07 2015 :  11:58:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
remember that PRINTED layout sheets that Tyco made?
What would be uber cool to do is that whole layout in 3D
but use all the sheets including the middle scene

Originally posted by microbusss - March 01 2015 :  3:58:45 PM

AHEM!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BPD2144
Switcher

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 15 2015 :  7:11:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BPD2144 to Buddylist
@ microbussss: I don't know what tyco printed sheets are.

Thanks for all the help. I think it have it figured out. The east/west explanation makes sense.

trainfan91
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 21 2015 :  10:03:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainfan91 to Buddylist
i wanna try one of these using peco and hornby track now
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 28  ~  Member Since: March 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 09 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 02 2015 :  3:54:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Update of my "Tyco Layout Expander" layout. The last three sidings are laid out including the dumping ore car. Waiting to get uncouplers before I nail it down.
One question I have is how is a train expected to back on to sidings 3 & 4(The ones with bumper track)? The pictures Tyco has on the cover has the trains backed in. Pardon my ignorance I'm totally new to all of this. Thanks for the previous compliments.

Originally posted by BPD2144 - March 03 2015 :  3:06:10 PM

That looks great! As I said, my current layout is partly based off it, but doesn't have any of the blocking, as it's a DCC railroad. (Even building the 4x8 Layout Expander System as is but without the gaps and blocking would still make a pretty good layout for a beginner to DCC!)

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 02 2015 :  5:09:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
@ microbussss: I don't know what tyco printed sheets are.

Originally posted by BPD2144 - March 15 2015 :  7:11:00 PM

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9476
its that thing!

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 02 2015 :  8:38:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
I built the 4x6 layout for two train operation on page 15 as a kid

AD did see the display layout on pg 17 at a store as well
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - May 02 2015 :  9:51:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
I had the Layout Expander System when I was a kid and I can tell you I spent hundreds of hours operating my trains on it. It was a fantastic layout. I would spend most of my time moving freight cars from one siding to the other, building trains etc. I also agree it would be a nice layout for someone starting in DCC. There was a store in my town that would set up this layout at Christmas. I seem to recall getting the instructions from this store before buying the actual system. That booklet was pretty much worn out by the time I got it! Thanks for the memories!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 31 2015 :  7:12:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here's the initial Layout Expander track plan, as done with Bachmann's E-Z Track!

This is kind of a temporary track layout we have at the local hobby shop for running our equipment on before we begin actual construction of the layout (we need to order some 22" radius curves for the actual track plan.) But this is pretty good too; we even used it with an E-Z Command unit, and it was indeed ideal for DCC usage.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 03 2016 :  7:38:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. I built a temporary layout based on the design for fun. I will put it away
shortly but I hope these next photos will inspire others to do the same. This is perfect
for those who do not have the space to build a permanent layout. They can set up
something similar to run and showcase their collections. Are you listening Ben.

Will post more photos before I put the items away. This is also a good idea
for those people who plan their new layouts. They can experiment with various
designs on the floor before picking the right one to build.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 03 2016 :  10:57:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
did I mention I found one of the books?

If I didn't I'm sorry

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 04 2016 :  10:25:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some more photos.

Bulk of track are 18 radius and 9 inch straight. Few 15 radius
and 6 inch straight. Fun to do and very easy.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 08 2016 :  5:30:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Some aerial photos as well.

Nice track plan for starting your railroad empire.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 09 2016 :  5:32:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More photos using the 1977 sets with some changes.

Should bring back memories.

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - March 09 2016 :  7:25:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
Here's my layout expander set (with a Via set I got with it) that's just waiting for me to set up. It is 100% complete and the fellow I bought it from said the track was only set up a couple of times. The remote switches etc were never used as they are still sealed!

Edited by - IslandTrains on March 09 2016 7:26:39 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 10 2016 :  12:54:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More photos.

Will post a few more before removing it for a later day.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2016 :  10:55:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I just stumbled over this post having put a lot of
time and effort (all of it fun and worth every
minute) on a TLE. I wish I had read about using
a pool table cloth; I ended up using a commercial
grass mat. I would have like to have used a vintage
Life Like Grass Mat, but cannot find one and seem
to remember they were smaller than 4x8 anyways.

Anyways, I just saw a TLE mat on Ebay for about
$30, but from the box it was in it appeared to be
just a green mat, with no evidence of that
peculiar carpet backing road bed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Handrails Topic Next Topic: Tyco HO Fire House  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000